A new start

My Choice, My Love

"Hello!" I scream with all I have, but at the end there wasn't anybody to answer my cry.

"Why? Don't leave me! I beg of you....please." I pleaded but still no one to answer.

It's the middle of the night and I'm awaken by the same dream that has been haunting me for three months already, in the dream I'm inside a big palace, it looks pretty but with all the darkness is hard to tell if it's really pretty or not. All I do is run and run without knowing why I'm running or where I have to run to. It's always the same words that I scream, I already know them by heart but why am I running? Why do I scream with exasperation? Who do I expect to come to me? Agh! Those are always the question I have in my mind.

"What's wrong Unnie?" I hear my little sister and at the sound of her voice I jump a little. It seems that I have woken her up again. "Is that dream again?"

"No my baby, I just wanted some water. You want me to bring you some?" I ask her not really wanting to tell her the truth.

"Thanks Unnie but no, I only want to sleep some more."

"Alright Ae Sook, go back to sleep." I tell my little sister before going out of the room we share now. It has been three months since we moved to South Korea with our parents, dad got promoted and we had to move in order for him to work in his new position. I'm happy for him but I feel lost here that's why I haven't been out of the apartment, I only go with my parents to the store and then come back home. They don't have much time to show us around the city because of their many appointments.

"Wake up Eun Mi!" I hear someone yelling to me for the third time but I still don't want to wake up. Ops it's mom, it must be late already. She only wakes me up when I don't hear my alarm and I'm being late for something. Hmmm what am I late for? Oh my God I just remember... today is my first day of school and I'm going to be so late!

I'm 18 years old and this will be my last year of high school, I'm not so excited though. I left all of my friends and the only thing I don't like is that I have to start all over again. It has always been hard for me to make friends since I'm a shy person, someone like me has very little chances of making a lot of friends or becoming popular in school. I get ready for school in 10 minutes, eat breakfast, wish a good day to my parents and then leave with my sister. She has been going to school for 2 months and 3 weeks already but for me it took longer to get accepted. My parents hired private tutors for me. While I stayed home with my private tutors learning everything I could for this last year of school I got so bored, but I think I prefer to stay home with my tutors than going to school.

We are inside the car now and I get distracted really easy by the people around. They're all in a hurry, many of them are probably late for work or an important meeting.

"We're here Unnie!" My little sister says in a cheerful tone, I turn to look at the school.

"Your school is big and pretty Ae Sook! Can I take you inside?" I ask my sister, she has been so excited since last night about me going to school now and having our schools so close to each other.

"You would? Thank you Unnie!" She said giving me a big hug.

"My pleasure baby." I say following her out of the car. Once inside she leads me to her classroom, many of the kids just stare at me, but I don't mind at all. My baby sister is so happy and that makes me happy too. We are inside the classroom but there's no one.

"Ae Sook, where are your friends?" I ask her feeling really concern now.

"I only have one friend Unnie, he's not here yet." She says to me with a sad look.

"Only one? What happened to the little girls?" I ask her and now I wish that I hadn't. She looks away from me and only stares out the window. "Don’t worry baby, you know you can tell me anything." I assured her now, I feel sad for her because I see myself in her.

"The girls don't want to talk to me, they say that I'm not worth being friends with." She tells me with a trembling tone now. I don't want her to cry so I just tell her, "Don't worry baby. They don't know what a great friend you can be, and you're worth more than what they think. Don't be sad anymore, come give me a hug my precious princess. “She comes right away to my arms and gives me a kiss on the cheek, I give her one too and hug her tight.

"안녕하세요." I hear someone by the door. I let go of my sister and turn to the direction of the voice. I see a kid standing by the door unsure on whether he can come in or not. I turn to my sister and her expression changed totally. She has a big smile on her face and now I understand why, this little kid is her friend.

"Kwang Sun you're here early." My little sister tells him before I can say something. "Come, I want to introduce you to my sister." He obeys her and comes rushing to us, he bows to me. I smile at him, he's so cute and a real gentleman even though he's only 10 years old.

"It's really nice to meet you Kwang Sun, my name is Eun Mi," I tell him, he gets red right away and only bows to me again.

"What's wrong?" My little sister asks him. He gets close to her and whispers something in her ear. I have no time for this, I don't want to be late for my first day of school.

"Princess," I call my sister, that's how I always speak to her. She turns to look at me and smiles, "I need to go now. I don't want to be late for school. I will see you at the house, take care okay." I give her a hug and a kiss in the cheek.

"Have a good day Unnie, oh and good luck," she calls out to me, I thank her and leave. I keep walking, I can only think about my little sister and how hard it is for her to make friends here in her home country. How can they be so unjust? She's only a little girl. I'm so angry and sad at the same time. I bump into someone, I still have my head down so I just bow to the person.

"Hey, watch where you're going!"

It's a guy’s voice, I look up at him. He's one of the most handsome guys I have ever seen, I feel my face getting red now. I don't answer nor I apologize to him, he's looking at me now but doesn't say anything.