You

Hello and Goodbye

         

            I was about to get some fresh air on the rooftop but then… it was her again. What is it with me running into that girl every time? And is she even serious right now? She’s laying down, sleeping on the bench at the school’s rooftop, what if someone finds her and did mischievous things to her. What is she thinking? … What am I thinking? Why do I care what she was thinking? I took a deep breath and walked up to the border. I looked at the beautiful view this rooftop provided me with. Then I looked back at that sleeping girl and walked towards her. I squatted down and took a good look at her face.

“Kim. Kanae.” I said.

I looked around and found her bag below the bench along with her violin case; the same one she brought the other day. A book seemed to have fallen from her hands. I picked it up and it was a book from the library. ‘She’s reading some difficult stuff here.’ I thought as I flipped the pages. She was reading something about medical, is she interested to become a doctor or something?

“Pretty interesting girl, huh?” Youngjae appeared out of nowhere.

“You surprised me.” I said picking up that girl’s book I just dropped because of him.

“You’re not planning to do anything naughty to this girl, are you?” Youngjae raised his brows.

“W—what?! Of course not!” I yelled. Youngjae put his finger in front of his lips

“Shhh, you’ll wake her up.” He said. Oh yeah, I forgot she’s here.

“See you in class, Jung Daehyun!!” Youngjae said and left. Just what does he want from me?

            Because I have nothing better to do, I decided to stay with her until she wakes up. I still have to apologize to her anyway. I sat down on the floor right in front of the bench she’s sleeping on and sipped a can of soda.

“Good morning.” I said as she woke up. She opened her eyes slowly and rubbed her eyes. She slowly  sat down and looked around

“What? Huh?” She mumbled. She then spotted me.

“YOUUU!! WHAT DID YOU DO TO ME?” She said as she pointed at me rudely

“Nothing, geez.” I took another sip of my can of soda.

“Oh, right... what are you doing here?” She asked.

“Just… hangin’ out.” I answered.

“So this is where you hang out too?” She asked again

“Not normally.” I said. She pulled her bag and violin case from under the bench and took the book she was reading from my hand. She stood up.

“Well, I better get going then.. before I’m late for class.” She said and left for the door.

“Hey.” I called.

“Kanae, right?” I asked.

“Yeah..” She said. I stood up and walked up to her.

“I came to apologize you know.” I said, annoyed.

“Apologize?” She asked.

“For yelling at you the other day.” I scratched my head.

“It was partly my fault too, so don’t worry about it.” She smiled.

“So, can we start over?” I asked

“Sure!” She said happily.

“I’m Daehyun. Jung Daehyun.” I said.

“Nice to meet you, I’m Kanae. Kim Kanae.” She said. We shook hands and started over our meeting.

             I soon learned that Kanae was the same age that I was. Her class was next to mine, yet we never really noticed each other. Funny, because I’m one of the most popular guy in this school! How can she not notice me?

            Kanae instantly got closer to me and Youngjae. But still, she prefers to be alone. Kanae told me that rumors might spread throughout the school if people suddenly saw the most anti-social girl in school hangs out with one of the most popular guys in school. That kind of makes sense, but still… Ever since I found out that she doesn’t have friends in her class as well I felt bad about leaving her alone.

She’s actually not that bad of a person. She’s kind, she’s nice, she’s smart, she cooks, she’s into music like Youngjae and I, but she said her dream was to be a doctor. She’s just misunderstood I guess; because she’s quiet and tends to push people away.