LOVE

Hello and Goodbye

A few months after, we graduated. The moment Kanae was waiting for all these years of school. She said she felt so free now. Youngjae and I kept working on our music while Kanae was working part time at a famous little coffee shop. She looked cute in her uniform by the way. Youngjae and I often came to the coffee shop she worked in. Sometimes while serving us, Kanae sat along with us and we’ll catch up with each other in life.

            She was a famous employee at that coffee shop because of her cute looks. Men adored her which made me a bit jealous. Youngjae teased me a lot because of that. I’ll admit I’ve been crushing on her, but she probably only thinks of me as a friend.

“Why did you wish to graduate if you’ll end up in a uniform again?” I asked as I took little bites of the cheesecake I ordered.

“Shut up, at least I’m making good money.” She pouted.

“And she seems to gain more popularity than she had in her school days.” Youngjae teased, Kanae doesn’t seem to get it

“Kanae-ssi!” Her manager called.

“Right! I’ll be right there!” She said. She stood up from her seat.

“Talk to you guys later?” She asked

“Sure. Work hard now, Kanae-ah!” Youngjae and I both signed ‘ok’. As soon as she left, Youngjae started to tease me again about Kanae

“She seemed livelier, doesn’t she?” He said, I watched her serve her customers with that bright smile of hers.

“She looks more radiant, that’s one thing for sure.” I said.

“Now, what are you going to do with that feeling of yours?” Youngjae started poking my cheesecake with his fork. I looked at him, faking a confused look. But I knew I couldn’t fool Yoo Youngjae.

“Don’t play dumb with me. When are you going to ask her out?” He asked.

“I’m not gonna.” I said.

“What is wrong with you?” He pushed my shoulder a bit like as he was going to pick a fight with me.

“She probably just wants me as a friend.” I said

“There’s no harm in trying, is there?” Youngjae raised his brows.

“Since when are you the one controlling my life?” I pointed my fork at him

“Since.. we met?” He smiled

Aish, this guy.” I said as I finished my cake within one big bite and took a big gulp of my drink. I stood up.

“Fine, I’ll ask her out.” I said.

            A few weeks after, I went to the coffee shop alone.  It was still quite empty because it was just open. Kanae was there already though, just the girl I wanted to meet.

“Two vanilla lattes, Please.” I ordered.

“Oh! Daehyun! You’re here early, where’s Youngjae?” Kanae greeted me cheerfully like she always does.

“Oh, I’m just here to drop by and go somewhere else with Youngjae but he’s running late.” I said.

“Oh, Okay… Sure. Wait here and your coffee will be done in a second!” She said and made my coffee. It didn’t take long until she brought me my coffee.

“Here you go!” She said. I paid her and was ready to leave. But after two steps, I turned back.

“..Hey, when does your shift end?” I asked

“Around 7pm, why?” She said

“Hm… that’s a bit late.. how about tomorrow, are you free?” I asked her again.

“Yeah, I guess…” She said, A bit unsure.

“Great! I’ll pick you up at 10!” I winked. Kanae looked confused. But that’s just how I want her to be. She looks cute when she’s confused.

“W- Wait! D- Daehyun!” She tried to call me as I leave. I only smiled. I couldn’t contain the thoughts of me being on a date with her.

            The next morning I went to her house at 10 like I promised. I couldn’t stop playing with my fingers because I was so nervous. I knocked at her door and a guy answered it. A brother? Kanae never told me anything about having a sibling.

“Uh…” Was all that came out from  my mouth

“Oh! Daehyunie!” Kanae jumped out of nowhere. She was wearing an apron, she must’ve been cooking breakfast.

“Um… Hello there…” I waved hello.

“This is Himchan, my brother. Come in, come in!” Kanae introduced me.

“I guess I should go change now. Do you mind waiting a bit?” She asked.

“Not at all..” I said. Kanae went upstairs to change, leaving me with her brother in the dining room. This is awkward…

“So, you’re Kanae’s friend?” He said in a husky voice as he sipped his morning coffee.. Americano I believe.

“Jung Daehyun, nice to meet you. I’m her friend from highschool..” I introduced myself

“Kim Himchan. I bet Kanae never speaks of me.” He said, we shook hands.

“Not really..” I said.

“Kanae talks about you a lot.” He said, I was a bit surprised.

“Does she?” I asked. Himchan nod. But he seemed worried.

“Hey… I can tell that you’re a good man, but if you’re trying to—“ his sentence was cut by Kanae.

“Ready, Dae?” She asked.

“Yeah, sure!” I said. I stood up and bowed to Himchan. We waved goodby.

“See you soon.. Don’t get too tired now, Kanae.” Himchan said

“I won’t!” Kanae waved goodbye hapilly.

            We left her house then went ahead to the city. We watched a movie, had lunch together, I accompanied her shopping, we went walking around the park, we did lots of things together! … And there we were, sitting by the lake waiting for the sunset. I finally confessed.

“Hey, Kanae.” I said.

“Hm..?” Kanae responded.

“How crazy would it be if we dated?” I asked her.

“What??” Kanae who was laying down on the grass, sat down and looked at me as if I wasn’t in my right mind.

“I don’t suppose it would be all that crazy, right?” I asked.

“Just… hold up a second.” Kanae put her finger on my lips, asking me to slow down. I removed her finger and held them.

“I.. Love.. You… Kim Kanae.” I said slowly.

“Would you please be mine and give me the opportunity to love and care for you?” I asked.

“Daehyun… what are you saying?” Kanae still refused to take in what was happening in front of her.

“I’m saying that I’m in love with you.” I smiled. She shook her head.

“But you can’t fall in love with me.” She said.

“Why can’t I?” I asked

“Because you and I are like from different parts of the universe!” She said. I moved closer to her

“Don’t you know opposites actually attracts?” I tilted my head, teasing her. She looked away

“I’m sorry, Daehyun. But I just can’t—“ I grabbed her by the chin and pulled her into a kiss.

“I’m sorry, I just had to…” I said after she pulled away. She was taken aback by the sudden kiss but she didn’t actually refuse.

“I can’t be with you.” She made sure.

“Tell me one good reason why I can’t be with you?” I asked.

“Because I don’t want to hurt you!”  She said. I chuckled.

“You’re just saying that..” I said.

“This might be the first and the last date you’re ever going to get..” She said.

“Aww, are you really going to reject me like this?” I asked

“Daehyun…” She sighed.

“I’m going away..” She said. Now I’m the one who’s taken aback.

“I’m leaving to Europe to study medical.” She said

“You’re kidding? Why didn’t you tell me?” I asked, almost raising my voice.

“I wanted to…” She said.

“Does Youngjae know?” I asked, She shook her head

“No…” She said

“Good, at least I’m the first to know..” I said. I was a bit annoyed that she didn’t tell me earlier though.

“That’s why I can’t be with you. I love you, but I don’t think long distance relationship is gonna work..” She said. I looked at her and smiled brightly.

“At least I know you love me..” I said and gave her another kiss.

“Stop it..” She laughed as she pushed my face away. Deep down I know she likes it.

“I don’t wanna get your hopes up on me..” She said.

“Okay okay… Friends..” I laughed.

“Just promise me one thing…” I held her two hands

“What now?” She rolled her eyes

“You’ll write to me?” I asked of her.

“I’ll try..” She smiled.

“Okay! Let’s get you home now” I helped her up and we went home together. I was disappointed, but at least I know her true feelings for me now.

A few months after, Kanae said goodbye to the city and left for Europe. Everyone was sad that she’s leaving for so long; me, Youngjae, and all the people who loved her at the coffee shop she worked in.

            Me and Youngjae came along to drop Kanae at the airport. Himchan also came along, he went along to Europe with Kanae for a few weeks. I hugged her goodbye and felt like I never wanted to let go. I don’t know why but my heart was filled with worries, not exactly sure of what I was worrying about. I just had a bad feeling about something.

            The vanilla latte I’m having in this coffee shop doesn’t taste as good without her or am I just exaggerating things? I can’t think, I can’t sleep, I can’t get her off of my mind. I sat at the corner of the room looking at the streets where a lot of couples walk by, looking around me where lovers are siting across each other, wishing it was me and her doing all of that together. Tell me, do you have to leave that bad?