Chapter 4

The Bouquet of Black and Red

Flash back

The sweet scent of roses in the air, it calmed my heart down. I feel nothing but peace.

For a moment back then, I thought I was finally free;

Free from the long tentacles of pain that binds me to this horrible fate.

But I knew this is too good to be true; for I am sinned.

From the rose bed to the picturesque scenery in front of me, I knew that this place has definitely been taken care of by a caretaker. 

This rose garden is not abandoned.

Right at that moment, I heard something snapped from behind me. The source just came forward noisily, to where I am. 

The trees swayed vigorously as the cold wind sliced harshly, tree branches fell and leaves fall.

A man, tall, stoic and mysterious, came strolling forward, towards me. He had a long smooth mane of dark coloured hair bounded by a simple black hair tie. His features are highlighted by the full moon, his dark eyes are cold and harsh.

He stared at me. I believe he is silently judging me, his eyes trailed over to my back pack of belongings. 

Something flashed in his eyes. But it was gone as quickly as it came.

"Follow me."

The first two words he spoke to me. The words that filled my heart with endless amount of hope.

He led me through the thick forest, over a grassfield and towards the city. For a moment back then I thought he was going to send me to the police station for trepassing into other's property.

Instead he led me towards the end of the street. There stood a simple house with a miniature rose garden. Hidden behind the dark silhouettes of the huge masses of trees and forest. 

The ideal place to hide.

"I know that you are a runaway, you can stay here if you also help to do chores."

"Okay, thank you, ummm..."

"Huang Zitao but I believe I am somewhere your age so just call me Tao."

"Okay, thanks Tao. My name is Haneul. Please to meet you."

"Likewise."

We shook hands.

The first time we touched each other.

---

Tao led me into a room. It was plain, just the way I like it. I dumped my backpack into the closet and laid down onto the cold bed.

He came in too, his long hair swaying gently with every movement he made. He gracefully slide over the floor as though he was ice skating towards the bed. 

"Tomorrow, I will be cooking breakfast. Be down by ten or else."

I gave him an okay sign and waved him off. Soon enough, he was out of the room and has kindly closed the door for privacy sake.

I never thought he would be someone like this. The very first impression is a merciless killer with no heart. But now, it seemed like a whole different story. 

I laid down on the bed.

My eyes wandered to the dark curtains and the tinted windows; the tall white ceiling, the grey wall papers. 

I walked towards the desk in the bedroom.

The simple desk is filled with photoframes; each of the photo had a scribble on it. The face of this female is always ruined.

Her long brown hair flowed gently. Her smooth skin was perfect white. The features were not specified due to the scribble. All I see is traces of blue behind the scribble.

I grew puzzled, I was extremely tempted to head to his bedroom and inquire about the photos but I decided to do so in the following morning.

I went to open the window in the bedroom. Moonlight flooded into my dark room, painting it a lovely greyish hue. Cool air flowed into the room, causing the temperature to drop a minute amount.

I sat down on my bed and laid down, underneath my warm blanket. Overwhelmed by exhaustion, I passed out.

I awoke to the aroma of bacon wafting into my bedroom. The delicious scent filled the air. I could no longer taste the crispiness of the morning cool air other than the mouth watering fragrance of my soon to be breakfast.

I wash up in the washroom outside my bedroom and headed down in a fresh set of clothes.Tao noticed my presence and has prepared me a scrumptious breakfast. 

From a lovely sunny side up egg, to the grilled bacon and the pile of golden brown pancakes drizzled with maple sauce and touched by butter, it was a piece of art.

I immediately dug in. The food literally melted in my mouth and slide down my oesophagus and into my stomach. It was just that amazing.

Tao handed me a document bind by a fasterner, he said, "These are the chores you are to do if you want to stay here." 

I took the file and flipped through it. 

Momentarily forgetting my breakfast.

The list was filed with things like cleaning up or gardening, also grocery shopping. It didn't ask for much. I complied to his requests.

He just acknowledged that and went of towards to door.

Before he stepped out of the house, he warned.

"Haneul, if anyone were to come here and ask to come in, never, I mean never let them in. Heck, don't even open the door. I will open the door myself when I come back. I won't need you to open the door for me. As for the roses, for the first few weeks, you don't need to water them. Just don't open the door or go out these days."

His words haunts me.

What could possible be wrong?

The following few days, the same routine has always been repeated. He leaves, I stayed here, entertaining myself.

One day, he got me a sleek light blue phone. Inside, it only has a number keyed in. Tao's number.

I played the games it had inside and much to my dismay, it was really boring.

While toying with my phone, I thought about my family; About mom, dad and Hana.

I dialed the number I remembered by heart. My fingers hovered over the call button. I shut my eyes, tight, as I pressed the button.

Calling home.

Beep... Beep... Beep...

There was no response. I figured that they might be out, so I left a voice message, hoping it will get to them.

"Mom, Dad, Hana, it's me, Haneul. It's been a while since I last contacted you people. I didn't mean to runaway. But don't worry, I am perfectly safe. I am currently residing in my friend's place and he is taking care of me perfectly. Please don't look for me. I promise that I will contact you people. So this is all for now. Bye."

Everyday, I did that. The exact same routine. No calls back, no response.

No one picks up the phone.

***

Hey there readers, this is going to be final update for now. I am going to have my exams soon so I need to start studying. So I will most likely update in mid october. So I hope that this satisfies you for now. I had gotten the 2 of them to meet already. The next chapter is gonna be well.... I better not say anything first haha! Drop in the comments what would you like to see? The 2 of them actually having a romantic past or something else. 

Until then readers!