Part One

Goodbye Doesn't Mean Forever

[her POV]

"How could you?! I trusted you!" 

"Jessica! It’s not what you think. It’s not like that, I swear."

"I…I can’t believe you're cheating on me! And with my best friend, or ex-best friend now.”

“Jessica, I swear. What you saw and heard isn’t what you think. Jonghyun was doing it for-“

“Save it Hyorin,” I spat. “You two deserve each other, you guys are scumbags.”

 

I was fighting back the tears, but I knew it wasn’t working. I ran out of the VIP lounge, and into the dining room of the restaurant. In the process, I seemed to have knocked a waiter down who was holding a tray of wine glasses.The glasses fell to the ground, shattering into small, sharp pieces that were scattered across the black marble floor. "Jessica wait!" He grabbed a hold of my arm and he turned me around to look at him.

I shook off his arm off defiantly, and yelled with venom in each word, "NO. I never want to see your face ever again. You can go die for all I care." With that, I took off both of my red pumps and violently threw them into his face. I then dashed across the floor littered with shards of broken glass in my bare feet. I could feel the warm, moist feeling of my blood leaving red stains on the ground. What did it matter?

I made my way out onto the road leading away from the wretched restaurant. Little sharp pebbles were tiny pricks as I ran across them, as I ran away from here, from him, from her, from them. I didn’t know where, but anyway was better than here. The pain of what he-who-shall-not-be-named did was a deeper wound than the physical ones on the soles of my feet. The tears trickled down faster and faster.  The world became a muddled blur, and I couldn’t see anything. Why? Why am I so gullible? I should never have believed his lies. Against my will, the incident rewound in my mind.

[flashback]

I drummed my fingernails against the white polished tabletop impatiently. What’s taking him so long? No one takes a bathroom break that’s ten minutes long.  “Oppa, have you seen Jonghyun?” I asked Hyun Woo. “M-mianhe…I haven’t seen him…”

 This was pretty surprising since Hyun Woo is our usual waiter and normally knew where Jonghyun was. I mean, he was hard to miss with his blonde hair. Many of the people knew us as the Golden Couple due to our blonde hair and great compatibility. I asked around, asking various people, “Have you seen him?” This met with many, “No, I haven’t… Sorry,” followed by a hast getaway.

 Why was everyone acting so strange? Thinking nothing of it, I decided to walk towards the restrooms to check it out for myself.  As I pasted by the VIP lounge, I saw a glint of golden hair. I stopped and looked into the room. Sure enough, there was his familiar blonde fringe. Wait, was that another girl?! I stared intently, trying to make out who it was since I could only see the back of her head. Whoever it is, once I know who it is, she’s going to be so dea-  omo! It couldn’t be... it couldn’t be. My heart sank at the sight.

It was my worst nightmare coming true. It was my boyfriend with my best friend. My breath was caught in my throat as I watched him lead Hyorin to the plush red seats. I could hear the blood in my ears roaring.I was hoping I was just over reacting, but I wasn’t.

“Will you marry me?” He kneeled down on one knee with a velvet blue box containing a brilliant diamond ring.  It felt like someone had stabbed me in the back; it felt like two someones stabbed me in the back. “Yes, I will.” I  saw Hyorin stand up and hug him. I heard him murmur, “I love you.” “I love you too.”

[flashback ended]

The dreaded scene kept playing again and again in my mind. I wish I could erase this memory, but I can’t. He told me he had something he wanted to tell me tonight and that it would be a night I’d never forget – he’s right, I’ll never forget what happened. Never. Was this what he wanted to tell me? That he’s been cheating on me? Well, happy anniversary to you too honey.

In the midst of running with blinded eyes, I tripped over a large lump. “Oof.” I said as I pushed myself off these warm, wet lumps. Gross, why are they warm and wet? Peering down, I found it wasn’t a pile of garbage but rather a couple of men. They stank of alcohol and I could see them looking lecherously at me.  One had a beard and was balding while the other had a beer belly and was smoking. My heart began to race wildly inside my chest, and I swear they could hear it too.

Ba-bum ba-bum ba-bum.

"What do we have here? A nice catch eh Dong Kwon?" A gruff chuckle came from the one who was smoking. "Indeed Tae Kyung. We're going to have some fun tonight."