Recognition

And Counting...

She noticed the change in her Countdown the moment she got home. Three months, one week, twenty-one days, three hours. "Since when was my second week gone?" Sayuri wondered. Maybe Minah was right, and it could be possible that Chanyeol might be her Soulmate. At the moment, she didn't want to jump any conclusions just yet. She had always dreamed of when she would find her Soulmate ever since she was young, but now that the possibility of it becoming a reality soon suddenly overwhelmed her.

But what if he isn't the one? Sayuri worried about that as well. There were instances she knew of from others who have found their Soulmates only to find that their Countdowns didn't match at all. Even Minah had to turn down past crushes back then sorely because her Countdown was still so far back. It pained her to think of that possibility, especially since her Countdown was fairly near to zero as well. And even then, Sayuri barely knew Chanyeol at all. But something about him definitely drew her in, though she had yet to figure that out. She just hoped that maybe she would get the chance to talk to him, if they ever saw each other again, that is.

Sayuri had a feeling about later tonight. Perhaps something interesting might turn out of all these events, she thought to herself.

 


 

Meanwhile, down the street at another apartment building next to the cafe, two bandmates could be heard arguing from outside the apartment window of room number 626.

"Luhan, we're not gonna add in any rap to our set. Especially since tonight's our gig!"

"But this could be good for us, Yeol! It could bring in bigger crowds and more people would actually listen to our music! Haven't you always wanted a bigger crowd?"

Chanyeol couldn't take Luhan seriously. Every week he decided to try on new styles and genres of music as part of what he calls his own "personal exploration". This week, Luhan had decided to take on rap, and Chanyeol had enough. "You seriously need to cut the act, Lu."

"Alright, alright, we're not adding anything else to our set," Luhan gave in. Both of them hear a knock on the door just a few seconds later. "The door's unlocked, Junmyeon," Chanyeol called over.

Junmyeon walked in to the apartment with a bag of what appeared to be groceries. "I brought food. Oh, hey Luhan."

"How'ya doin', man!" Luhan waved. "Oh, speaking of which, Yeol, I invited a couple of my friends over tonight to watch our gig. I think I just might set you up with one of them, or both, if you roll that way."

Junmyeon laughed. "Good luck with that, Lu. You know how often he rejects every blind date I've set him up with? Yeol's gonna die alone at this rate."

"Real funny, Jun. I still hope you're ready for another nosebleed," Chanyeol warned. Luhan threw his head back and gave a whooping cackle at his comment while Junmyeon didn't say anything, not wanting to recall what happened.

"Well, if you don't mind, Chanyeol, I'm doing fine. You're lucky Yura doesn't know about this," he warned back.

Chanyeol shrugged it off. "Anyway," he added, turning to Luhan, "we should just be getting ready in a few hours. The other guys'll be here soon."

"Ah, so you didn't keep him around," Luhan responded. "Kris wasn't so bad," he added. Ever since he and Chanyeol started the band three years ago, their attempts to keep a solid lineup weren't the best. Usually many of the players that played with them bailed after a week, or Chanyeol was irritating towards them every once in a while. Since then they've often switched players because no one would be willing to stay.

"Luhan, he practically freeloaded off of us. He wasn't that great of a bassist anyway," Chanyeol argued. "Let's just get to work."

And so it goes in apartment number 626 that Chanyeol plucks his guitar while Luhan sings melodies that mesh well with the harmonies Chanyeol provides. By the hours that they practice, Chanyeol's Countdown constantly changes. He hasn't looked at his wrist since early morning.

 

Moonlight Cafe was called Moonlight Cafe for a reason. During the day it was often light and hospitable, but at night it was ambient and very relaxed. Many people came to the cafe at night to hang out and chat, all the while grabbing a cup of coffee and some snacks and pastries to eat as well. What really made the cafe so popular at night, however, was a weekly event usually held every Wednesday called Gig Night. On Wednesday Gig Night, usually there were a few performers that came up to the stage to perform. Anybody was welcome to join, so as long as their acts didn't offend anybody. Sayuri and Minah took a table in the middle where they could watch the stage, but not before Luhan spotted them both from the side of the stage. "Hey, over here!" he waved over and walked over to their table. A tall man, who appeared to be Luhan's bandmate, followed right behind him.

Sayuri and Minah noticed him right away. "Glad you guys could come. Oh, by the way, this is the guy I've been playing with for years. Chanyeol, these are my friends, Sayuri and Minah," he told him.

Minah recognized him first. "Aren't you the guy from earlier this morning? I didn't know you and Luhan were in a band together," she asked.

"Oh, it's just the two of us. We got a couple of other guys playing too," Chanyeol replied. "Glad you could make it," he added with a slight grin.

Sayuri observes him again. She notices his smile and finds that she likes the friendly vibe he's giving off. "So what do you play?" she asked him.

"Me?" Chanyeol looked at Sayuri, who he realized was speaking to him. So she was the one glancing at me this morning. "Ah, I play guitar mostly, but I know a bit of other instruments too. I'm kind of a music enthusiast, as you would call it," he told her as he scratched his head.

Chanyeol took a good look at her as well and noticed how seemingly timid she looked. She wasn't that much shorter than him, and her brown, wavy hair fell off her shoulders neatly. Her face was anything but average; in fact, Chanyeol could definitely see that there was something in her face that showed him she was anything but hostile. He picked up her reserved personality from the way she acted when she was next to Minah. Clearly, they knew each other well, but for some reason, he found himself drawn towards Sayuri. He wanted to get to know her more, to open up, and mostly he wanted to find out why she seemed reserved.

"We'll be up soon, so, uh," Stay cool, Yeol. Stay cool. "We'll talk to you guys after our set?"

Sayuri took it as an invitation. "Sure thing. Um, Chanyeol, right?" she asked.

"Yeah," he replied. "Come on, Lu, we're up."

As they walked back to the stage, Luhan told him, "Dude, you were totally smitten with her."

"Huh? I was just talking," Chanyeol casually said. But Luhan also noticed the way he acted when he talked to Sayuri. "Don't give me that, Yeol. I'm telling you, she's the one."

"Let's just get up and play," Chanyeol tried to change the subject.

"Alright, then, whatever you say." Both of them left the conversation at that.

While they began to set up, Sayuri definitely felt reassured now that she'd actually spoke to Chanyeol. I definitely picked a good night.

 

Three months, one week, twenty-one days, one hour and counting.