Butterflies

And Counting...

For the next few weeks, Sayuri and Chanyeol kept in contact with each other. Usually they sent text messages back and forth, whether it be about how each of their days were going, how Sayuri was faring in her classes, and even how crabby some of Chanyeol's customers got. Throughout those weeks they grew to love each others' company and they had even gotten to meet each others' friends. Junmyeon, in particular, was overjoyed when Chanyeol introduced her at his apartment one day.

"You've been going out with Cashier Girl?" Junmyeon asked him. Sayuri wanted to ask Chanyeol how Junmyeon knew, but he had reassured her that it was nothing and that Junmyeon could be quite a bit of a joker. "By the way," he mentioned. "I really enjoyed that book. I was never one for fiction, but Jonathan definitely changed my mind," he thanked her.

"Oh, it's no problem," Sayuri returned. "I'm glad you enjoyed it. You should come by our store sometime," she invited.

While Chanyeol was busy preparing refreshments, Junmyeon and Sayuri sat down in the small living room and talked to each other. Like Sayuri, Junmyeon was also a bit of a literary maniac and he especially loved philosophy and self-improvement books. He and Chanyeol have been best friends ever since they were kids, and he was also the one who introduced Chanyeol to Luhan. "So," he asked. "How did you and Chanyeol meet?"

"My friend and I go to the cafe next door every morning before class. He just so happened to be working there, and then we hit it off after Gig Night with Luhan," she told him.

"I see," Junmyeon responded. "You know, he's really hung up on you. I can see it in his face. I really haven't seen him so happy since he got his first guitar."

"Oh, well, we're just good friends," Sayuri told him. "But I really do enjoy his company as well."

Junmyeon noticed the way her face lit up at the mention of Chanyeol. Her lips curled into a little smile as well. "You remind me of my Soulmate, you know that? She looked just like that the moment she came back from college to visit home," he then procedeed to show her his wrist. It was completely lined with zeros. "Although, it took longer for her to realize her feelings," he added.

Curiosity was swept across Sayuri's face. "You two didn't fall for each other instantly?"

"Ah," Junmyeon began to speak. "I fell for her after my third year of high school. Funny thing is, she only regarded me as a kid at the moment. For a while, it hurt that I couldn't be with her at first. As I began to accept that I could never be with her, she came back to me."

Sayuri continued to take it in. "So these things do take time, huh?"

"Yeah, they do. But that gives you ample time to spend with each other and get to know each other as well," Junmyeon replied. Chanyeol then entered the living room with a tray of cookies and tea. "It's not much, but here you go."

"Thanks, Chanyeol," Sayuri told him as she took a teacup from the tray.

"So what were you two talking about?" Chanyeol asked.

"Nothing much," Junmyeon told him. "I'll leave the embarassing stories to Yura."

Sayuri choked on her tea. "Y-You know Yura?" she asked.

"Oh, she's met the family already? Well, Sayuri, you see," Junmyeon told her. "We're going to be brothers-in-law soon enough," he declared.

Chanyeol punched him playfully. What a small world, Sayuri thought.

 

Eventually Junmyeon had to go run some errands later, so Chanyeol and Sayuri were left to put away the dishes from earlier. Sayuri then found her way to the bathroom to wash her hands. As she pulled off her sleeves she noticed that her Countdown was already set for two weeks. Have I known him for that long? she wondered. Time had flown by quickly already, though it wasn't like she complained. She exited the bathroom and found Chanyeol sitting in front his computer with a guitar in hand. Sayuri recalled the night at the cafe when he played. Chanyeol was in the same concentrated mood then as he was while Sayuri watched him. There was something in every note he played and every chord he strummed that made Sayuri feel at ease. It felt good to listen to Chanyeol play, and Sayuri wished she could listen to him play for days on end.

Chanyeol turned around after he was done playing. "You like what you hear?"

"You're really good," Sayuri walked over to him and pulled a nearby chair to sit next to him. "So this is what you do daily?"

"I guess," Chanyeol replied. "I just record whatever I feel like playing, cut some parts, and lay over other instrumentals. It's all mixing and mashing, really," he explained. "Wanna try it?" he handed down the guitar to her.

Sayuri immediately handed it back to him. "Oh, no, I don't think I could..."

"I'll teach you," Chanyeol offered. "Please? You offered me that book, after all."

Sayuri hesitated for a moment. "Alright," she decided. "Teach me then."

"Alright, it's really easy." Chanyeol got up from his seat and began to guide Sayuri. "So your hand goes here, and your fingers go over these strings...," he continued to explain. While Sayuri had some difficulty holding the guitar and holding the strings down, she felt reassured that Chanyeol was right behind her. She then realized that Chanyeol was right behind her, arms touching and her back to his chest. A swarm of butterflies began to flutter in her stomach. Sayuri looked up at Chanyeol and realized that she had never really been that close to him before. Chanyeol's face was undoubtedly clear, his hair looked soft and silky, and his ears, Sayuri decided, were quite cute despite the fact that they reminded her of a fairy. It didn't take long for Chanyeol to notice that she was staring at him. She quickly turned her head away to hide her face. "What's wrong?" Chanyeol asked.

"Oh, uh, nothing," Sayuri quickly answered. Chanyeol didn't need to look at her face to figure out that she was blushing and trying to hide it. "Does my face really make you nervous?" he teased.

"N-no, not at all," she replied. "But your ears are quite cute," she added. She then reached out and began to pull on them playfully. "Awh, look at you, you big fairy!" she laughed.

Chanyeol put away the guitar and tried to pull her hands away. "Stop it, that hurts," he complained. Chanyeol then decided to fight back and began to tickle Sayuri. "Let go!"

Sayuri collapsed onto the ground and tried helplessly to fight off Chanyeol's tickle attacks. "Ah, stop it!" she laughed and kicked at the same time. Before she even knew it, Chanyeol had her arms pinned above her head. "Gotcha!" he leaned in close to her face. Both of them were looking at each other intensely, and Chanyeol also realized that he had never been this close to Sayuri either. He took a few seconds to take in her facial features. Her soft brown bangs fell nicely on her face, and her eyes were as clear to him as they have ever been. Time passed by on their wrists as they gazed into each others' eyes, hours ticking away and drawing them closer to zero. Realizing the awkward position they were both in, Chanyeol got up first and helped Sayuri up to stand. "I'll go walk you home, how's that sound?" he offered.

"Yeah, that's fine," Sayuri told him. "I'll go get my things," she hurried out. Even as she gathered her things Sayuri still felt red from the earlier encounter. She could still feel Chanyeol's gaze on her, as if he found something valuable while searching for something. Her heart couldn't stop beating from the nervousness that still engulfed her senses. In the other room, Chanyeol stood awed by himself, wondering what he had done. He felt his heart beat faster and faster every time he thought about gazing at her. "I better not have screwed this up," he muttered.

Both of them walked to the bookstore in silence. Neither of them could stop thinking about the earlier incident, and neither of them could forget the way they both felt when they looked at each other. "Um," Sayuri spoke first. "I'm really sorry about your ears."

"I get that a lot, actually. It's no big deal," Chanyeol reassured. "I probably shouldn't have tickled you and pinned you down either," he added.

Sayuri chuckled. "I guess," she said. They both approached the front of the bookstore and Sayuri went to enter in. "Thanks for today," she smiled. "I really enjoyed it."

"I did, too," Chanyeol returned. "Um, listen, are you free next week? I'd like to take you somewhere," he asked.

Sayuri turned around. "Where?"

"It's a little fair near my mom's restaurant. You'll love it, I'll promise," he told her. Sayuri recalled the other night and how they danced together, even though their stomachs were full. She was curious about what this little fair would be. "Sure," she answered. "I'll definitely come."

"Great!" Chanyeol replied. "I'll pick you up at seven then?"

"Same as always, Chanyeol," Sayuri said. "I'll see you later."

"Yeah, later," Chanyeol waved as Sayuri went back. On his way back to the apartment he couldn't help but feel like there was going to be something about this date that would be special. He checked his wrist. One week, three hours, and forty-two minutes, it read. A large grin plastered on Chanyeol's face at the thought of his next meeting with Sayuri. Chanyeol recalled how beautiful she looked at the apartment, and he realized that it was the first time he had ever felt that way towards somebody.

He had a feeling she felt the same way too. "Soulmates, eh?" Chanyeol looked forward to next week as well.