Sparks

And Counting...

For a little fair, it was quite festive and many people came to enjoy the game booths and street food. Sayuri was enthralled at the sights she saw and it excited her to be around such a bustling atmosphere. Both of them walked around the fair for most of the day, and Chanyeol was usually the one to show her around and bring her to different booths. By the first half of the day, Sayuri was sure she had a feast already from all the food Chanyeol made her try. She felt comfortable in the fact that he always showed her something new whenever they went out together. 

After a few hours Chanyeol and Sayuri sat down to rest from all the walking. While Sayuri was still full from all the fair food, Chanyeol still kept eating. "Aren't you going to be full soon?" she asked him.

"I'm a tall guy," he replied as he kept eating. "You know, the fair's only just begun. The main attraction's going to start in an hour," he told her as he looked at his watch. 

Sayuri was tired. Even with all the walking he still wanted to keep going around the fair. She thought she couldn't walk anymore until she saw a nearby booth out of the corner of her eye. Immediately, she yanked Chanyeol's hand and dragged him to the booth. "Come on, Chanyeol, I can't miss this!"

Chanyeol followed along unwillingly, dropping his tornado potato in the process. Where Sayuri took him hadn't been where he expected her to go. At the booth there were dozens of little firecrackers hanging by the vendor window. The whole booth was full of sparklers, flying spinners, smoke bombs, any possible type of firework that existed. Chanyeol had planned to take her here before the event, but it was apparent that Sayuri really beat him to it. It was quite the coincidence that she had decided to go. "I, uh, really enjoy sparklers," she shyly admitted. "I've never been to a street fair without lighting a few up. It's kind of my own little thing that I do," she added sheepishly. 

And there she goes again, Chanyeol thought. He began to grow fond of the way her eyes lit up whenever she talked about something she cared about, even if it was something as little as sparklers. "Well then, what are you waiting for?" he asked her. "Let's go buy a couple. It'll be perfect for later tonight," he suggested.

 

"Uh, Chanyeol, what are we waiting for?" Sayuri asked. They had been sitting on a picnic blanket watching the empty night sky. She was anxious to light up the sparklers as well. 

"Trust me, you're going to love this. It's my favorite part of the fair," Chanyeol looked over to her direction and noticed that despite the numerous layers she was wearing, she was still shivering to the bone. She always seems cold no matter what she wears, he observed. Chanyeol took off his jacket and wrapped Sayuri with it to give her warmth. "Feeling better?" he asked.

Sayuri was flustered over Chanyeol's kind gesture. It reminded her of the night when they first met. It had probably been around three months since then, yet in that short timespan Sayuri learned a lot about him and she felt completely comfortable in Chanyeol's presence. She felt her stomach churn in excitement again as she gazed at Chanyeol from her spot. Lately in the time she's spent with him she's realized that it's become a habit for her. She remembered how focused he always was when it came to his music, and the way he found joy in everything. She also remembered how he would always be the one to initiate everything whenever they did anything together. Sayuri felt cared for, and it amazed her how she found herself falling more and more for Chanyeol everyday. 

"You tend to do that a lot, you know that?" Chanyeol observed when he turned around and saw her.

"I-I'm sorry, what?" Sayuri snapped out of her thoughts. It didn't take her long to realize that she had been caught again. "I space out a lot," she tried to cover up her act.

Chanyeol also noticed her habits as well. He never thought in the past three months that he would ever meet someone so quiet and get her to open up. He realized that he had learned a lot about Sayuri during the three months he spent with her. Despite her outwardly cute and timid appearance, she could be outgoing if she wanted to be. Sayuri was comfortable in her own skin and she enjoyed the little moments in her life. Her brown hair fell nicely on her head and her eyes always lit up when she found something she did and enjoyed it. The stories Sayuri had told him from the books she read made him believe in something greater. It was as if Sayuri discovered a world of her own in a book that she read, and she was always so eager to share it with him. Chanyeol then remembered the personal copy of The Notebook that she gave him when they met at the bookstore. Although he wasn't one for novels, it had been the one he couldn't put down. Despite that it was such a sad story, Chanyeol saw the awe in that the characters' love for each other was something beyond imaginable. 

Up until he met Sayuri, he thought time would pass by when he found his Soulmate, but he didn't think that he would ever feel so heavily invested towards somebody. She made him believe in love, and he wanted to experience that someday. 

 

Two minutes and fifteen seconds.

"We should probably light up the sparklers," Chanyeol suggested.

Sayuri nodded in agreement. "Have you ever made a wish with a sparkler?" she asked him.

"Uh, no, I haven't," he replied.

"Well, it only works when you have more than one person around," Sayuri explained. "The person with the last sparkler to stay alit means their wish comes true."

"I see," So that's why she likes them, Chanyeol thought. Just as they lit up, the main attraction of the fair began with a boom. A series of lights shooting up at the sky followed, and the firework show had started. Various colors sparkled through the air and took on different shapes. Sayuri watched in awe as the fireworks continued. She held the sparkler in her hand in hopes of it being alit for as long as possible. Chanyeol, on the other hand, was observing her as she watched. 

Although Chanyeol had always seen these fireworks as a kid, on this particular night everything seemed to sparkle. Maybe it was because of her that he suddenly felt that way, but he didn't care. As long as he could see that smile on her face every day, Chanyeol was happy. 

 

One minute and eight seconds

Sayuri turned around and saw that Chanyeol was gazing at her too. She would have said something to him, but for some reason, she felt that she could see everything he wanted to say in his eyes. Right at that moment, time seemed to stop for them.

 

Forty-five seconds.

Both of their sparklers went out at the same time.

 

Thirty seconds.

They lean in closer together, unaware that their fingers are touching.

 

Twenty seconds.

Their eyes meet, both sending the same message. Their hearts start beating faster and faster the closer they are.

 

Ten seconds.

Chanyeol surveys her beauty upclose before his eyes wander to her pink lips. Sayuri holds her breath in jittery nervousness. She then remembers that it had been the second time they were this close to each other. Both of them are absolutely terrified, but the little gut feeling of excitement draws them in.

 

Five seconds.

Four.

Three.

Two.

Chanyeol puts his hand to Sayuri's face gently, and slowly, their lips touch.

One.

 

The fireworks stop at zero. But for them, the sparks continue flying.