Four

Three Love Stories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Four:

 

(Yunho)

 

As much as I didn’t like to admit it I actually felt sorry for that arrogant brat. Yoochun and I were inside a car that the Kims had provided us so that we could go home safely.

 

“Does Mrs. Kim do that often? How can she say those things to her own child?  Jaejoong made a mistake… he was late for class… big deal! It’s not like he killed someone or something.” I said exasperated.

 

It was just the first day since I met Jaejoong and I hated his guts. But after hearing what his mother said about him and right in front of us, I felt sorry for him.

 

“Feeling guilty that you made him late?” Yoochun asked me raising an eyebrow.

“Guilty? Why would I feel guilty? He bumped into me and he didn’t even apologize.” I answered with my voice rising.

“I’ve known Jaejoong for as long as I can remember. You think that was bad? That was nothing compared to what both his parents said to him when Jaejoong asked to take up Arts when he graduates. Jaejoong has a lot placed on his shoulders being the Kims’ favorite son. You may look at it as arrogance but I see it as his defense mechanism. Jaejoong didn’t want to disappoint his parents again.”

 

I said nothing and looked away. I knew exactly how that felt, having to bear the responsibility of pleasing your parents. My father was the Director of SM Academy. Being the director’s son is a huge burden. I wanted to run away from that so I convinced my parents to let me study abroad. After two years I was forced to go back and attend the academy.

 

“Yunho, I know we just met. But, I hope that you can be friends with Jae. As you said he is arrogant and can be a bit of a snob but he is also lonely. I’m his only friend and I would like it if he has another.” Yoochun said looking at me.

“Me? Friends with Jae? From what happened today I doubt we can ever be friends. But, I will try.” I said to him.

 

Yoochun smiled at me and said nothing more on the way home. Days and months went by and I did try my best to be friends with Jaejoong. No matter what I did or how hard tried it never worked out. The two of us were so bent on pleasing our parents that we competed in almost everything. Yet, no matter how hard I try, I always came second place to him.

 

During lunch we would eat together with Yoochun who had become our common friend. I became friends with a guy a year younger than me named Shim Changmin.

 

Jaejoong and I treated each other as rivals and enemies. Whatever the other did the other had to do better. This went on for a year then another then another. Soon the school’s elections day was coming and everyone was busy with the preparation. Jaejoong and I ran for the position of student president.

 

The student body was separated between my side and Jaejoong’s. Jaejoong may not have many friends but he has a lot of supporters and guys that would want to get closer to the Kims’ favorite son. The people that supported me had practically the same agenda with me being the Director’s son.

 

Poor Yoochun was stuck between me and Jaejoong. He was running for the vice-president position and chose to be an independent party so he wouldn’t have to choose between me and Jaejoong.

 

We were at lunch as usual. Since it was election time Jaejoong, Yoochun and I were seated at separate tables. I was sitting with Changmin and Yoochun was sitting with a guy named Xiah Junsu. To my surprise Jaejoong was sitting by himself. He was reading a book with his store-bought lunch untouched.

 

“Yunho, I know we just met. But, I hope that you can be friends with Jae. As you said he is arrogant and can be a bit of a snob but he is also lonely.”

 

I suddenly remembered Yoochun’s words. I wanted to go to him and ask if he was okay but I knew the moment he sees me we’d just argue again. We’d argue until we would call each other names and insult each other and so on.

 

It wasn’t a secret that Jaejoong and I hated each other. Yet, I didn’t need to publicize our hatred to the people around us, especially since it was near the elections day.

 

I kept watching him despite of myself. There was something about Jaejoong that draws you to him without him making an effort. Now I see why despite him bei

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter