Respectable 4

Respectable

Baekhyun’s POV

 

I stepped through the extravagant glass doors and into a elegantly lit room with the biggest chandelier I’d ever seen. I had been invited to a ball of some sort. It was apparently big news and Kris was so excited about the invitation he insisted he accompany me. It meant more to him than it did me so I mentioned him to bringing Zitao but he was pretty insistent. He didn’t want to show up uninvited with a date on his arm that also wasn’t supposed to be there.

 

“That invitation did not include a plus one.” My eyes lift to see that familiar face and I sigh. I should have known when the sign was a simple ‘anonymous’.

“Sorry to invite myself Mr. Park, I have always been rather curious about your banquets.” Kris interjects and I shrug in agreement.

 

“Officer Wu is the reason I showed up at all.” I admit making Kris shoot me a look but Chanyeol only laughs.

 

“Well do you mind if I steel him from you Officer Wu? I’d like to introduce him to someone. Please feel free to mingle.” Kris agrees stepping away from me but I offer him a pleading look which he ignores. “You look stunning.” Chanyeol compliments and it makes me look down at me tux. “I don’t know how I prefer you to dress.” He chuckles to himself and I scoff.


“You’d prefer I wore nothing at all.” His arm snakes around my waist when he laughs this time.

 

“I didn’t want to say it.” He whispers a little too close to my ear. “Aren’t you gonna compliment my outfit? Hair? Lack of tattoos or piercings?” He wonders and my eyes look over him lazily. It was true he looked like a proper gentleman in his black tux and bow tie. His hair is pushed out of his face and somehow he hid those intimidating neck tattoos. Even the holes in his face seemed to have disappeared.

 

“You look fine.” I’m hesitant to even offer that.

 

“Like just fine? Or fiiiine?” He cackles at his own joke and I groan in annoyance. “Awe come on lighten up doll face. It’s a party.” I shrug away from his touch.

 

“I really don’t think I have any business here. Unless you just wanted to prove to me you can look half decent?” He gives me a coy smile rubbing the back of his neck nervously.

 

“Well that’s a big chunk of the reason if I’m honest. I was hoping I’d get more than a ‘fine’ with how much attention women have been giving me but that’s okay.” I ignore his flirting with a sigh.

 

“Then why don’t you bother them?” I suggest and his bottom lip juts out in that same pout.

 

“Well I also wanted to introduce you to my dad.” He mumbles halfheartedly.

 

“Who’s your dad?” I narrow my eyes.

 

“He used to be the chief of police but now he’s working more on government .” He shrugs. “He owns a law firm but he tends to dabble a lot. A man of many interest.” He smiles proudly and I’m suddenly nervous cause that means the old chief, and probably still my boss’ son had been the one trying to get in my pants all this time. “Don’t be nervous.” Chanyeol nudges my shoulder playfully before approaching a towering man that looked a little too much like Chanyeol and I swallow dryly.

 

“My boy!” The man cries and my eyes widen on instinct. “And who’s this lovely fellow?” He wonders and I lower my eyes.

 

“Dad meet Officer Byun, he’s the one that keeps showing up to keep me in check.” Chanyeol admits easily with an arm slung over my shoulder. I’m suddenly unwilling to push it away with his dad present.

 

“Ah yes, the positive influence.” His dad teases me with a grin that matches Chanyeol’s. “Sorry about all the trouble he’s been causing. He really seems to want your attention.” He explains what I already know and I fight a sigh. “I’m grateful though. Ever since he met you he’s more curious than ever about my work.  I think my life work might actually be inherited thanks to you.” He laughs loudly slapping Chanyeol’s arm.

 

“Glad I could help.” I croak and Mr. Park pauses.

 

“You look nervous. I can’t tell if it’s my charm or my son’s.” He hums but then smiles again.

 

“I’ve only recently become an Officer sir, I never expected to meet someone like you.” I mumble making him smile softly.

 

“Well you must be something to keep this boy interested.” I’m the one to laugh this time and Chanyeol stares at me with a smile trying to stretch over his face.

 

“I’m sure it’s just the love of the chase sir.” Chanyeol’s smile drops and his fingers tighten on my shoulder.

 

“I can’t seem to convince him I’m worth a shot.” Chanyeol mumbles to his dad. Mr. Park tries to smile but it doesn’t come so easily now.

 

“Well you’ve never been one to give up.” He winks at the boy on my arm and I practically groan.

 

“Can we dance?” He request quietly and I scrunch my nose in refusal. “Just one dance. I promise I’ll keep my hands where they belong.” He goes on. “Come on don’t embarrass me in front of my dad.” He smiles and I bite at my bottom lip knowing I should refuse.

 

“Okay-“ I concede and no later am I being tugged onto the nearly empty dance floor and into his arms. “I don’t think this is the right dance Chanyeol.” I grumble hearing the rhythm of the music moving a few beats faster than Chanyeol’s steps. His grip on me only tightens and I sigh in defeat.

 

“So Officer Byun, what are your hobbies? What makes you tick, huh?” He grin’s down at me and I purse my lips before answering.

 

“I like to sing.” I whisper as if it’s a dirty secret but it makes him smile even wider.

 

“Really? Singing? You got a decent voice I bet? You sound like an angel even when you’re scolding me.”

 

“Chanyeol-“ I warn making him chuckle.

 

“You know I’m musical myself. I’m more of a rapper. This voice of mine wasn’t necessarily made for high notes or sweet melodies. I’m best when you give me an instrument though. My dad handed me a guitar when I was six and I was asking for a band by the end of the week.” I roll my eyes.

 

“That doesn’t really surprise me.” His smile almost falls.

 

“Then he let me try drums but only if I promised to practice piano. So I learned those in the next week or so.” I look up at him with narrowed eyes. He must be joking. “I wanted to be an idol when I grew up but my friends said I was too ugly.” I my eyebrow in surprise and he grins down at me. “Does that surprise you.” He chuckles. “I’ll show you some baby pictures. I wasn’t as cute as you’d expect.” I  can’t fight the giggle that bubbles to my lips and Chanyeol’s face brightens immediately, like I’ve just told him how to solve world hunger.

 

“This is really embarrassing.” I mumble letting my eyes fall as soon as I compose myself.

 

“What’s so embarrassing?” He wonders and I smirk sarcastically.

 

“I’m in the middle of an empty dance floor while your dad watches you flirt hopelessly.”

 

“It can’t be that hopeless.” He nudges me playfully. “I made you laugh.” He grins proudly and I sneer regretfully.

 

“You think that changes anything?” I grumble but he only smiles softly, reaching to tangle our fingers again.

 

“I think it’s a good start.”

 

Sorry this chapter took a little while. I just got back to America so I’m kinda settling and stuff. So how have you guys been? EXO has a fan name~ I don’t dislike it. I mean there are better names but the meaning is cute and it could be worse so I’ll be proud to hold the title. What do you guys think? How about the story development? Baekhyun’s heart of ice is melting for Chanyeol’s cheesy charm~ What do you think comes next?? I hope you guys are liking it, sorry for a very uncute authors note btw I’m so tired. Lol hope to post again soon. Please comment, rate, and subscribe. I’ll see you soon~