Part Four

Decimation
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They found a good amount of supplies, and by the time they were finished exploring it was fully night time. Deciding to simply use the storage room as a bunker for the night, Jessica locked the door with them inside and they settled in with their new belongings.

Krystal had claimed a heavy woolen blanket, ugly grey and a bit scratchy but thick enough to be warm yet thin enough to carry easily. Torrance claimed one as well, Jessica being the only one of the three with a good sleeping bag still in her possession. Inside the stock room they had found boxes of MRE's, meals vacuum sealed and used for the military, and while they certainly weren't fine cuisine they were durable and easy to carry and prepare; each of the three had stuffed three of the backpacks they found there with the meals, taking as much as they could physically carry. 

Another find that Krystal could have done without was bullets, cases and cases of them, but without a gun they were useless. Torrance had been excited to see them, though, shoving quite a few boxes into his pack, and Krystal had to wonder if he had a weapon tucked away that he hadn't told them about. They'd only known him for a day, after all, who knew what he had hidden.

Unfortunately there were no more machetes there, but there were knives, and so they'd also taken those, more than they needed after Torrance pointed out that they could use them for trade in future. The sisters had paused and glanced at one another then, a silent realization that they had never even considered trying to trade with others coming over them. Matches, camouflage clothing, rope, even a cast iron skillet; all of these went into their packs, among other things. When they went to sleep that night, once again on opposite corners of the long, narrow room, Krystal couldn't keep the smile from her face.

It had been a long time since they'd found such a big amount of supplies, and while in her mind she credited it to Torrance's lock-picking skills, she wasn't about to admit it out loud. Curling up into her new blanket, she fell asleep and slept soundly, letting her guard down with the exhaustion that overtook her.

Morning came with a hand on her shoulder, and Krystal woke with a start to see Jessica above her with a smile in the dim light of the flashlight. "It's time to get up, Soojung," she said softly, and Krystal smiled at her sister's use of the name. Their father had called them by the Korean names when they were little, and hearing it from Jessica was like reaching back in time to hear him saying it. Stretching the sleep from her body, she looked around to locate Torrance, already on his feet and tying his new rolled blanket to rest on top of his food pack. With how heavy their packs now were, running from anyone or anything would be hard, making Krystal wish once more that there had been other machetes here. They weren't about to lighten the load, though, and so with a sigh, she stood and followed suit, getting her packs ready to go. Maybe they could find a pack animal that miraculously hadn't already been eaten. And maybe it would be able to fly, since she was counting on miracles.

She tried her best to get both bags settled onto her back, the smaller bag of her personal supplies hanging low and tied around her waist, the food pack strapped onto her shoulders with her bedroll tied to the top of it. The smaller pack fell from her waist as soon as she started to walk, though, and with a sigh she tried to figure out how to carry both. Maybe she could tie the one to her belt somehow?

"May I help?" Torrance's voice sounded from the darkness to her right and she jumped sideways, the top heavy food pack nearly making her lose her balance

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter