Part Five

Decimation
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two days passed after the fight, two days in which Krystal avoided speaking with either of the other two very much. She was still embarrassed over her own idiocy in the fight, still angry with herself, but she couldn't deny that she was beginning to find Torrance fascinating. He had a wealth of knowledge that Krystal was in awe of, showing it first with the lock-picking skills in the city and then the following morning.

The sisters had woken to find him gone, but his pack still there and halfway open. They both assumed he'd be back and they were right, but he returned with two freshly killed rabbits for them to share. When Jessica asked him how he'd caught them, there hadn't been time to set snares the previous night, he'd brandished a newly made slingshot. Krystal had to bite her tongue to keep from asking him how he made it, unwilling to talk to him after her failure the night before, and then with a smile he'd simply handed it to her.

"I'll make another one for me, and one for you too," he told Jessica, and Krystal nodded a mute thanks as she turned the wooden weapon over in her hands. 

Now, two days after the fight, she was walking several paces behind Torrance and Jessica, practicing with her slingshot on the trees around them despite the noise it made. Having a second powerful weapon made her feel more confident, and after watching the dark haired man teach her sister about several plants and their edible or medicinal properties over the last couple of days, Krystal was a bit more willing to listen and learn. And maybe more willing to admit that he would be a big help to them as long as it all worked out.

She was too pre-occupied with her slingshot to notice that the two ahead of her had stopped, but when Jessica turned and hissed a 'shh' at her, she froze in her tracks. It was then that she heard it too, the unmistakable sounds of a fight up ahead of them, not too far. She watched as Torrance and Jessica looked at one another, obviously weighing the options and if they should join the fray or not, and Krystal took the choice from them. 

Slipping her pack off this time, she leaned in against a tree and moved past the older two, avoiding Jessica's grab for her arm and ignoring the hiss of her name. She wasn't going to leave someone to die, and so stalked carefully through the trees until she came upon the fight. 

Two humans fought with a mob of undead there among the trees, an older man and a woman somewhere in her late thirties. The man used a hammer in one hand and a long knife in the other, while the woman had a torch in her left and what looked to be some sort of short sword in her right. They were both fighting well but they were surrounded, and even as Krystal drew her machete she saw the man go down underneath the swarm, a shout escaping him as he went. 

With a cry, the teen leapt into the fray, her machete taking the head off of one zombie even before it turned toward her, and as the severed head fell she grabbed the hair and threw the skull off to the side, not wanting to have it bite her ankles if she ran into it accidentally. The body reached for her but she sliced the arms off, too, throwing them away as well before shoving her shoulder into the body and knocking it over. Without arms or a head it wasn't a threat, and so she ignored

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter