Part Two

Decimation
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jessica's first strike on the back of one of the attacking undead took them all by surprise, but then the mob turned to attack the sisters as well. The one that the older girl had struck flailed miserably, burning with an acrid stench as it died, trying to catch a human in its grasp even as it fell to the ground in death throes. Jessica was already past it though, her staff whirling to keep back any of the undead trying to reach her. Krystal followed right behind, a hard swing at the neck of the burning undead severing its head from its body. It spasmed violently but she knew it was unable to survive without head and when burning, so with a grim set to her lips she grabbed her machete in both hands to begin the fight in earnest.

They worked well as a team, Jessica's staff spinning to keep any undead from reaching her as Krystal used her blade to cut through the throng; the older girl then set fire to the bodies to finish them off. The sisters were effective, experience making them wary but strong, and as soon as the creatures had turned their back on the man they had been attacking, he too set about beating them to knock them down for Jessica to torch. The three of them made quick work of the zombies until they stood amongst a mass of burning, dying pieces of bodies. A head and shoulder that Krystal had separated from the rest of the body was making its slow clawl toward them, its one hand dragging it forward while its mouth continuously bit into the air as if just trying to get its teeth into one of them. With a grim look on her face Jessica swung her staff to slam it downward onto the head.

"Who are you?" she demanded of the man as she straightened, her still burning staff buried at one end in the zombie's eye socket and holding it there even as it tried to grab her foot. The stranger was watching her actions with a healthy dose of wariness, but as he looked up at the sister's, Krystal felt the stirrings of attraction stir inside of her. His face was streaked with dirt and his clothes more than a bit worse for wear, but his dark hair was cut short and clean, his eyes a piercing pale blue-green. 

"My name is Torrance," he said, glancing from Jessica to Krystal and then down at the younger sister's machete with a raised eyebrow. "You guys are affective, to say the least."

His tone was one of respect and Krystal had to fight down the smirk that threatened to cross her face. Instead she flipped her hair back off of her shoulder and wiped her blade with the rag she carried in her pocket just for such a job. "Yeah, we're pretty good," she agreed, and Jessica suddenly laughed at her smug attitude.

"What are you doing in the city with a baseball bat?" Krystal continued, glancing at the silver aluminum bat. Covered in gore as it was it looked formidable, but she knew that it wouldn't actually offer much protection from the undead. "Everyone knows that only fire kills the undead, and they swarm the cities. You must have a death wish."

"Krystal," Jessica hissed, and only then did the younger girl notice the way that her sister blushed when she glanced at the man. With a sinking heart she realized that her sister, too, found him attractive, and the concept of competing with Jessica for someone's attention was ridiculous. Her sister was beautiful. And staring at her with a 'shut up' look, which Krystal obeyed. Turning back to Torrance, Jessica gave him a smile and continued, coolly ignoring the undead hand now weakly scrabbling at her boot. "Seriously, though, my sister brings up some good questions. Are you alone? What are you doing in Kansas City with such weak weaponry?"

"Ah," he glanced between them, realization dawning in his eyes, and then nodded to the older girl. "Yeah, I'm alone. I didn't realize you two were sisters, I thought... nevermind. Um... I came into the city to try and find some supplies, I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter