Part Seven

Decimation
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Krystal moved back into camp, angry at herself, bu when she caught sight of their traveling companion she felt anger at him and Jessica rise once again. Why should she have to share her  sister with someone? They didn't need anything other than one another... did they? Glancing off toward Torrance, she noticed that he was pacing the campsite nervously, his pale eyes trained outward in the direction the sisters had gone off in to talk. In the direction that Jessica had disappeared in.

Whatever, she was off sulking. Let her! Krystal huffed and flopped down onto her bed roll, pulling the blankets around her as she turned her back on Torrance, ignoring the concerned look he sent her as she did so. She lay there, pretending to sleep, for what seemed forever until she actually did fall asleep. She woke to a none-too-gentle shake of her shoulders, and as she sat up quickly, one hand grasping for her machete, she found herself face to face with the young man.

"What the hell do you want?" she growled, angry all over again at just seeing his face.

He let out a heavy sigh before shaking his head and standing to his feet to look down at her, accusation in his eyes. "Never mind, you're too selfish to care," he said, his voice sounding downright tired, and though Krystal knew there was too much truth in that statement, she focused instead on her anger. She stood to catch his arm before he could turn away, forcing him to look at her.

"What would you know?" she demanded, fighting back the urge to slap him. "You come in and take my sister from me You're the selfish one! You're an outsider!"

Torrance's eyes darkened with anger the more she spoke, but to her surprise his rebuttal was quiet, almost soft. "If my brother were still alive, I sure as hell hope I wouldn't be throwing such a fit over him finding someone he likes." The words struck her like a physical blow and she reeled back a step as he continued. "I like your sister, Krystal. A lot. Why do you want her to be alone forever?"

Unsure of how to answer, especially when she knew she didn't have a good answer except that she simply wanted to be the center of Jessica's attention, Krystal released Torrance's arm and turned her back on him with a huff. He mumbled something under his breath that she couldn't quite catch, but she felt him move away. In curiosity she turned to track him with her eyes and it was then that she realized that Jessica wasn't there. Her heart beat faster and she turned toward him on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter