Part Three

Decimation
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The night passed uncomfortably, Krystal finding it hard to sleep with the presence of a stranger, and from the way that Jessica kept shifting, she knew her sister felt the same. Torrance, on the other hand, sat with his back up against the dumpster wall, his eyes closed and arms folded over his chest, sleeping soundly. Krystal knew that he said he was used to traveling with others but his ease with sleeping around strangers was making that obvious. She wasn't sure if she should be jealous of that, or consider him stupid for it. Time would tell, she supposed.

When the sun finally filtered into their alleyway, Krystal was tired and downright grouchy from the lack of sleep. She woke Jessica with a light touch, her sister jumping and letting out a muffled squeak of surprise as she did so, then they heard a quiet chuckle from the other side of their container. Both women turned their baleful glares on the man, to no apparent effect as he simply gave a smile in return.

"Good morning," Torrance said, stretching his legs out and going stiff for a moment as he fought back a yawn. "Can I scootch by you?" he asked, motioning at the opening behide the sisters, and after a brief moment Jessica ducked underneath and headed outside.

"Go ahead," Krystal motioned for him to duck through next, not about to leave him last so that he could attack one of them unawares. He did as she said without a complaint or even a questioning look, but she could feel a bit of amusement drifting off of him at her wariness. Let him think it was funny, it had kept the two of them alive for seven years. Once he was out, Krystal followed, crawling out on hands and knees before standing to buckle her machete belt around her waist once more.

Jessica stood there alone, re-braiding her hair once again, Torrance nowhere in sight. Krystal assumed he was taking care of morning business. In fact, maybe she ought to do so herself before he got back...

When she emerged from her cover behind the dumpster, she noticed him standing and speaking with Jessica quietly, their voices pitched so as not to carry and alert anyone to their whereabouts. Krystal paused, noting the way that Jessica stood almost as if she were shy; one hand gripping her elbow, her hips tipped to the side, one leg wrapped in front of the other. She chewed on her lip as Torrance was speaking, and Krystal was hit once more with the fact that her sister had a crush on the attractive man. An overwhelming surge of emotion hit her, ranging from irritation to sadness and anger, but she settled on the latter and stalked toward the two of them.

"Where are we headed today, Jess?" she asked, ignoring Torrance as she looked to her sister.

Jessica looked between the two of them before shrugging. "Well... we were just talking about that, actually. We're thinking of hitting some supply stores, apparently there used to be a couple of them here, and Torrance says that there used to be several Army surplus stores here, too."

'Torrance says,' Krystal mocked in her mind, a scowl coming over her face. "Why is he making our decisions for us? We've done fine in the last seven years." She knew that her sister wasn't deserving of her anger but it was truly frustrating for her, and she couldn't help her tone. A flash of hurt came over Jessica's features, but Krystal pushed aside the urge to apologize. There would be time for that later.

Torrance shifted his weight, moving to the side a bit so that Krystal was forced to look at him if she wanted to keep looking at her sister. "I'm just trying to help. Surplus stores could hold a lot of essentials, actually. Things like weapons and durable clothing and rope. We could use those in future." Krystal wanted to ignore him, wanted to say something smart and quick to set him back on his heels, but when she looked up a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter