Part One

Decimation
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Krystal hated mornings. She always had and she knew, deep down in her bones, that she always would. It didn't matter where she spent the night, be it in a bed of down or a bed of pine needles, she wanted to be able to sleep longer. Cracking an eye open, she glared in the direction of the rapidly rising sun, wishing that it would stay down for just another hour or so. She could hear Jessica moving about already, probably packing up her bedroll and getting their breakfast ready; there was no mistaking the scent of cooking rabbit.

Rolling over in her bag, Krystal watched as her older sister turned the makeshift spit, the sight of the fresh food doing the job the sun had failed to do and rousing the younger girl to make water. "You know just the way to wake me," she mumbled, sitting up to stretch her arms, shaking them out from the cramps she incurred each night. Jessica laughed quietly, the sound like a tinkling chime, and she turned to give her sister a soft smile.

"Good morning, beautiful," she sang softly, and Krystal had to laugh at the corny country song. Shaking her head, she dragged her fingers through her tangled dark  locks, pulling the sticks and other forest floor pieces from her hair before tying it into a messy ponytail at the back of her neck. Jessica already looked nearly perfect, her own long hair braided back off of her face already, her worn clothing doing nothing to hide the fact that she'd become a beautiful woman. Krystal felt pride in being able to claim her as her sister.

"Where to, today?" Krystal asked, still slightly groggy even as she pulled herself from the sleeping bag. It was old and in dire need of replacement, but she couldn't exactly run to the store and buy a new one. People made do with what they had and that was that, so she wasn't about to complain. Next time they came across a blanket, though, she was going to claim it for her own.

Jessica chewed her lip, a bad habit from the old days, and rummaged around in her shabby backpack before coming up with their atlas. It had been in their car, a driving map for them when they traveled, and their father had been smart enough to grab it and bring it when they had to abandon the vehicle. It had served the girls well in the last seven years, and the pages spoke of that well. They were worn with use but still useable, and Jessica sat down beside their small fire with it in her lap, Krystal coming to stand over her shoulder to peer down at it as well.

"I think we'll continue heading South," the older woman said, her finger tracing the line that they'd been traveling. The sisters had made sure to stay off of the roads, though they did prefer to travel alongside them so as to be sure they were pointed in the right direction. People traveled the roads and humans were one of the biggest threats, willing to kill for even a can of food. The sisters didn't have any cans of food, which was why they were headed toward the nearby city, but their lack of supplies wouldn't stop people from attacking. Krystal grimaced as she glanced again at her sister, knowing that the slender girl's beauty would make them targets more than usual.

Her sister was obivious to the look, though, her head still bent over the atlas as she studied it. "Winter is going to be here before we know it," Jessica continued, glancing at Krystal's sleeping bag as she spoke. "We're going to need to either find better camping equipment, or head for the Southern coasts, somewhere where it doesn't snow."

"I vote for no snow," the taller girl laughed. Moving back to her sleep spot, she rolled her questionable sleeping bag up and tied it together, before propping it beside the fire as a makeshift chair. "Camping equipment is too hard to find, it's all been claimed. Besides, the ocean would feel about amazing right now," she added, reaching out tentatively to grab the spit that the rabbit was roasting on and giving it a turn.

"Okay, I agree. South it is, Texas probably," Jessica grinned, shoving the atlas back into her pack as she watched Krys

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter