Chapter 4

keys to your heart(beats)

“Is someone there?” Lunnie whispers.

Minseok quietly peeks to Lunnie’s backyard. “No, I don’t see anyone,” he whispers back. “Quick, come here!”

“How can you say ‘come here’ when I can’t even see where I should come?!”

A slight blush tints Minseok’s cheek. “Sorry,” he mutters, and grabs Lunnie’s hand.

It’s the first time someone else other than her father and her butler holds her hand, and Lunnie has to admit, it feels nice. It isn’t a romantic walk in a park and only lasts for a few seconds, but it’s enough to send butterflies fighting inside her stomach.

It has been a few weeks since Minseok and Lunnie reconciles, and since then their relationship blossoms quickly. They never meet each other other than Thursdays and mostly on the confinement of Lunnie’s house, but they don’t really mind. Besides, Lunnie states that being in her house or other places are just the same for her.

Today, they decides to ‘meet’ on Lunnie’s backyard. After making sure no one’s there to disturb them, they sit on the swing, eating ice cream and sharing stories about their daily life. Even Lunnie laughs until her eyes become teary hearing Minseok’s story about a football match on his university, in which a friend of his named Luhan somehow got his pants ripped, showing his heart-patterned pink boxers to everyone.

“Is that true?!” Lunnie asks between her laughter.

“If only you can see the photos I took. The best blackmail materials I ever have.”

Lunnie chuckles. “Your friends seem fun.”

“They are,” Minseok smiles. “I want to introduce you to them some time.”

“You can’t.”

“......Yeah, maybe I can’t.”

They fall silent for a while.

“By the way, you have ice cream on your cheeks,” Minseok says quietly, and he grabs some tissues to wipe it away.

Lunnie blushes a bit as she feels Minseok’s hand rubs her cheeks. “I look funny, don’t I?”

“No, you don’t!” Minseok quickly says. “You look beautiful as ever.”

“You’re kidding me.”

“No, I’m not.”

Lunnie plays with the edge of her hair. “No one ever say I’m pretty. Except for my father, when I’m still little.”

Minseok raises his eyebrows. “Really? All of them must be blind then.”

Lunnie blushes again. “You really think so?”

“Yes, I do,” Minseok says, and Lunnie can hear sincerity in his voice.

The boy expects Lunnie to smile, but instead, a small pout forms on her lips. “It’s unfair. You can see me and say I’m pretty, while I know nothing about how you look like.”

Minseok bites his lower lip, not knowing what to say. He feels sympathetic to this girl, who’s oblivious to the beauty of the world, including the face of her own boyfriend. But he also has a feeling that consolation words won’t change anything.

Lunnie raises her right hand hesitantly. “May I....may I feel your face?”

Normally, Minseok doesn’t like it if someone touches his face. If there are things he’s sensitive about, it’s his height and cheeks, which have become regular jokes among his closest friends. But Lunnie is his own girlfriend, and she has every right to know his face. So he takes a deep breath and mutters a yes.

Slowly, Lunnie reaches out her hands and feels Minseok’s skin on the tip of her fingers. As Minseok has such a deep, manly voice, at first she thought the boy would have sharp feature face, like high cheekbones and angled jawline. But as she traces Minseok’s cheeks, all she can feel is roundness.

“You’re like a steamed bun!” Lunnie blurts out without thinking.

This earns a smack on her shoulder, though not strong enough for her to release her hands from Minseok’s face. “Yah! Not you too!”

“Too?”

Minseok pouts. “Yeah. Everyone calls me that, because of Luhan. He started by calling me baozi – it means steamed bun in Chinese, you know.”

Lunnie stifled a laugh. “I think that’s cute. And you’re cute, too.”

Minseok smiles again. “Really?”

Lunnie nods.

Gently, Minseok grabs one of Lunnie’s hands and slides it to the left part of his chest. Lunnie smiles and presses it softly to the boy’s chest, feeling his beating heart inside. There’s no words spoken, but the two of them understand what it means – you have my heart, forever.

And this moment will be such a memorable one Lunnie wishes to last forever, if only Minseok’s heart doesn’t start to beat much faster than usual.

“Minseok-oppa? What happened?” Lunnie asks hesitantly. She can’t see Minseok’s pained face, and she’s not an expert in human body either, but she’s quite certain that human heart normally doesn’t beat that fast.

Minseok can’t answer, as he panickedly trying to adjust his breath and look for his pills inside his pocket. But as he finally gets a grip on the bottle, suddenly two pairs of strong hands yank him from the swing, dragging him away.

“NO!” Minseok desperately shouts, trying in vain to struggle against them, who are no one else but his father’s bodyguards. “Let me go!”

“You’ve spent too much time here, Young Master,” one of them snaps coldly. “It’s time for you to go home.”

“Minseok-oppa!” Lunnie yells, reaching out her hands to grab Minseok but finds no one.

“Lunnie-ah!! I lo-“

Whatever Minseok wants to say is drowned in the sounds of tires screeching and door slammed. The tires are screeching again, but this time the sound is going further, and Lunnie knows that Minseok has gone.

The girl slumps back on the swing, tears running down her cheeks. It’s all her fault. If only she doesn’t keep Minseok that long, the bodyguards won’t catch him. Now, she’s sure she won’t ever have the chance to meet that boy again. Lunnie keeps on crying, unaware of the presence of her father who has been looking at her from the window for the past few hours, a cellphone on his hand.

As the girl morosely turns around to enter her house, suddenly she feels like stepping on something cylinder-shaped. Kneeling, she feels around until she gets a grip on something. It feels like a small bottle, made out of plastic, and when Lunnie opens the lid and reaches inside, there are a few pills.

-

“It’s Isosorbide Dinitrate.”

“What it is?” Lunnie asks, though she has a hunch that she doesn’t want to hear the answer.

Mirano, Lunnie’s friend who happens to study Medicine, looks at the girl, an unreadable expression on her face. “I usually prescribe it for my patients with coronary heart disease to ease their chest pain.”

Lunnie feels her blood run cold at Mirano’s answer.

-

 

 

Author's Notes:

Two chapters in a day, phew.

But I have to say, I really love writing interactions between Lunnie and Minseok. Especially the "steamed bun" part, that's probably my favorite dialogue.

Isosorbide Dinitrate is a real drug. I'm not that sure it's the drug Minseok uses in the MV, but he seems to take it every time he's having chest pain, so I guess it has to do.

Also, Mirano is me, in case you guys haven't guessed it, hahaha! And I'm truly a med student, that's why I include myself as a cameo here.

Hope you enjoy it! :)