Chapter 3

keys to your heart(beats)

It eventually becomes a game between Lunnie and Minseok.

 

Every Thursday, Lunnie always tries her best to get out from her college as fast as possible, then urges her driver to drive faster to her house. And she knows Minseok does the same. Whoever arrives first at her house will get the chance to play the piano first. Sometimes Lunnie manages to win, but on the other days Minseok beats her to it.

 

They never exchanges words anymore since that day when Lunnie stubbornly claims her piano, but Lunnie silently wonders whether that boy actually enjoys that game. She is talented enough to sense a pianist’s mood from the way they play, and she feels that Minseok’s playing sounds happier when he’s able to play the piano first, and a little gloomier when he loses. But either way, there is some hidden amusement in the melody which Lunnie can’t figure out yet.

 

One day, Lunnie just hears a song she wants to practice so bad. But it seems like the Goddess of Luck isn’t on her side today. Though she manages to get out of her college quickly, a traffic accident just has to happen and she arrives home by the time Minseok’s lesson almost ends.

 

Needless to say, she’s in a bad mood. Though she doesn’t have to wait that long for her own practice, she never likes being in the road too long, and the happiness in Minseok’s music just irritates the hell out of her. So, when the boy finally finishes, she quickly claims the piano chair and begins to practice. But whatever she does, she can’t seem to play the song well, probably because of her bad mood earlier.

 

Suddenly, Lunnie feels someone sitting next to her and a hand gently removed hers from the piano keys. She turns around, ready to snap at whoever the person who has interrupted her practice time, but then a beautiful melody flows out, playing the song she’s practicing, and she immediately shuts up in surprise.

 

“There,” the now familiar voice speaks, which Lunnie recognizes instantly as Minseok’s. “A nice song, isn’t it? You have good taste in music.”

 

Part of Lunnie still wants to yell and kick him outside the room, but now there’s another part of her who recognizes the boy’s talent and is curious on how he can play the song so beautifully. “Where do you learn that song?”

 

As their shoulders are pressed to each other, Lunnie can feel Minseok shrugging. “That’s my mother’s favorite song. I learn to play it for her birthday every year.”

 

“Ah,” Lunnie doesn’t know what else to say.

 

Minseok stares at the blind girl, a twinkle in his eyes. “Do you want me to teach you?”

 

Lunnie nods hesitantly, but there’s now a determined expression on her face, and Minseok knows she’s opening her heart for him now. Smiling, the boy places Lunnie’s hand back onto the piano keys and begins to teach her to play the song.

 

Suddenly there are sounds of footsteps from outside the door and Minseok quickly leaps behind the piano, knowing what will happen if someone sees Lunnie and him together. Lunnie remains on her seat, pretending to play though her heart is beating hard. Thankfully, her father who comes inside doesn’t notice the hiding Minseok, so after checking on her daughter and looking around for a while, he walks out of the room again.

 

Both Lunnie and Minseok breath out a sigh of relief, and Minseok quietly peeks from behind the piano. “Your father’s gone, right?”

 

Lunnie tilts her head a bit, trying to listen to the sounds of her father but finds nothing. “I....I think so.”

 

Minseok stands up and returns to his seat beside Lunnie, but as he’s about to resume his teaching, suddenly he feels a familiar pain on the left part of his chest. Placing a hand upon his chest, Minseok yanks out a small bottle from his pocket and quickly gulps one of the pills inside.

“What are you eating?” Lunnie asks.

 

Minseok bites his lower lip. This girl surely has a good hearing. He must be careful, he figures, or else she’ll find out about his condition. Taking a glance around, he spots a few candies resting on a small plate beside the piano and quickly picks one of it.

 

“Nothing, just eat this candy,” Minseok says casually and makes a swallowing noise. “You want to taste some? It’s really delicious.”

 

Lunnie nods.

 

“Say aah~”

 

The girl opens obediently and Minseok feeds the candy to her. As she chews the sweet treat slowly, Minseok stares at his finger that touched Lunnie’s lips earlier, and somehow it makes his heart flutter again.

 

But for this once, he welcomes the pain.

 

Because when he sees the smile on Lunnie’s face, he knows she’s worth it.

 

-

 

 

 

 

Comments and feedbacks, please? :)