Chapter 1

keys to your heart(beats)

Every morning is the same for Lunnie.

 

 

She always wakes up on the sound of alarm clock by the side of her bed, then she will blindly reaches for it to turn it off before lazily drags herself to the bathroom, eyes still closed. She doesn’t have to feel her way though, since the bathroom is just probably two meters from her bed and there isn’t anything between them but empty floor. Upon her arrival to the bathroom, she will turn the faucet on and splash water on her face. Just then, she will open her eyes.

 

 

And see nothing but darkness.

 

 

Call her childish but Lunnie still believes in fairy tales, despite being almost 20 in age. She always hopes that probably, one day, when she wakes up from her deep sleep, a magic will work, and she will be able to see again. That’s why she’s actually afraid to open her eyes. Because every time she does so, she will understand that the magic hasn’t come to her, yet, leaving her more disappointed than ever.

 

 

And then she’ll hear her father’s voice, yelling to her to take a bath and eat breakfast and quick, you don’t want to be late for school for God’s sake, and she will do so in lightning speed, and then a butler will take her hand, escorting her to the car taking her to school.

 

 

-

 

 

 

If there’s anything that gives her a tiny spark of light in her dim life, it is piano.

 

 

It’s a Steinway and Sons and almost twice Lunnie’s age, but her father always takes care of it, giving it monthly check so that the instrument still works perfectly despite of its age.

 

 

It also used to be her mother’s most prized possession.

 

 

Lunnie can’t remember her mother that well, because she died of an illness when Lunnie was three, and she lost her sight on an accident two years after that. But Lunnie remembers that her mother’s the one who first introduced her to piano, taught her to play it, and eventually bequeathed her love on that certain instrument to her.

 

 

There’s never a single afternoon without Lunnie playing her mother’s piano, usually right after she arrives back from college (she studies in a special college for the disabled). She usually starts with old, sweet songs her mother used to love in her youth, then she’ll continue with classic songs from Mozart or Beethoven, and end her personal recital with newest songs she hears from radio or the streets.

 

 

Thankfully, she is gifted with the ability to play music just by hearing it once, despite not being able to read scoresheets.

 

 

Sometimes, when her father’s at home (he works as a piano teacher and is often away to teach his students in their respective houses), Lunnie thinks he’s there, watching her play. But she can never be so sure, because she can’t see him, and when she eventually finishes and turns around to sit on the sofa, he’s never there.

 

 

She doesn’t really mind though.

 

 

She knows her father’s proud of her, and that’s enough.

 

 

-

 

 

 

Author's Notes:

So, that's the first chapter.

I haven't introduced Minseok yet, but I assure you he'll eventually come along.

Like it? Please share what you're thinking in the comment! Constructive criticisms are greatly appreciated too!