Chapter 2

keys to your heart(beats)

Something feels different today.

 

Lunnie frowns and looks from left to right as the butler helps her to get out from the car. It’s useless, she knows, but still, she needs to make sure. Giving up using her nonexistent sight, she tries to use her other senses. Sniffing a bit, no, the flowers still smell the same. The wind doesn’t feel different on her exposed skin, and she’s sure she doesn’t eat any weird food in the car either.

 

That’s when the melody is heard again from the direction of her house.

 

Lunnie gasps. She knows there’s no other instrument inside her house aside from her mother’s piano. And she’s quite certain no one but her father and herself play it. Could it be her father? But no, Lunnie knows her father plays the piano very rarely, maybe because the instrument reminds him so much to his deceased wife, and if he does, it’s usually in the middle of the night when he thinks everyone is sleeping. Besides, Lunnie recognizes the melody played on the piano right now is one of her father’s favorite piece, and he can’t possibly make that much mistakes.

 

Ignoring her butler’s yell, Lunnie yanks her arm away from his grap and runs inside, almost tripping on the stairs on her way.

 

“Who’s playing Umma’s piano?!” Lunnie hisses angrily to no one in particular.

 

“It’s your father’s new student,” a female voice answers. Lunnie recognizes it as Han Jaera, the maid. “His university is not too far from here so he decided to come here for his piano lesson instead of having your father come to his house every Thursday.”

 

Lunnie’s hands ball into fists. “But it’s my Umma’s piano! No one’s playing it without my permission!”

 

“Calm down!” Jaera hisses, grabbing Lunnie before the girl has the chance to burst inside the living room. “Don’t you know who he is?!”

 

Lunnie snorts. “As far as I can remember, I’m blind and I can’t see who he is. But even if I can, I don’t give a flying .”

 

“He’s Kim Minseok, the sole heir of Kim Corporation,” Jaera whispers. “The biggest property developer in South Korea! Believe me, your father doesn’t like it as well but he can’t say no.”

 

“Whatever,” Lunnie mumbles, slamming herself angrily to a seat nearby. “All I know that he’s ruining my Umma’s piano. And he’s taking my precious practice time.”

 

Jaera doesn’t know what to say, so she only leaves Lunnie alone to prepare for dinner.

 

Lunnie remains in her seat, sulking, until finally the piano stops playing and she can hear the sounds of books crammed inside a bag and people murmuring kamsahamnida, which means Minseok’s lesson is over. Grabbing her bag and swinging it on her shoulder, she stomps inside the living room, paying no attention to Minseok who walks past her (and she can’t see him anyway).

 

As she sits in front of the piano and begins to play, she quickly loses herself in the beautiful melody, forgetting her previous anger, unaware of a pair of single-lidded eyes staring at her from outside the window.

 

-

 

“Go on, faster,” Lunnie urges her driver.

 

It’s Thursday again, the day of Minseok’s lesson, and Lunnie has determined to get to her house before that rich boy gets the chance to touch her piano.

 

Lunnie knows she’s being childish, and Minseok is her father’s student which means he pays for the piano lessons, but she really can’t stand the thought of a stranger playing her mother’s piano.

 

Besides, her father and she can live just fine even without Minseok’s lesson fee.

 

Lunnie feels the car slows down, and she knows they’ve arrived at her house. Turning to the direction of her butler, she hurriedly asks, “Has he been here?!”

 

The butler gives her a confused look. “Who?”

 

“Appa’s new student,” Lunnie says impatiently. “The heir of Kim Corporation.”

 

“....No, he hasn’t been here, but.....”

 

Lunnie doesn’t wait for him to continue. Grabbing her bag, she quickly jumps out from the car and runs inside. Making her way to the living room, she sighs in relief as she doesn’t find anyone else sitting on her piano chair. She hastily opens the lid and in a few seconds, her mother’s favorite song fills the room.

 

“Lunnie,” a deep voice speaks behind her, which she recognizes as her father’s. “You can’t play now. Minseok-sshi is coming and I need the piano to teach him.”

 

“I don’t care,” Lunnie replies without missing a beat. “I’m practicing.”

 

“I know it’s your practice time, but please understand. He is my student. Besides, you can study first or something while he’s taking her lessons....”

 

“I don’t want to,” Lunnie snaps, hitting the keys with greater force than usual. “And he uses Umma’s piano. No one to play it but you and me!”

 

Her father raises his voice, which he does to Lunnie so rarely. “Stop being so selfish! The fact that it’s your mother’s piano doesn’t mean that it’s a sacred thing or something! Everyone can play it. Now move your out of the chair!”

 

“No!” Lunnie grabs the side of the piano tightly.

 

Her father tries to yank her away. “Do as I say!”

 

“I won’t!”

 

Her father is about to yell again but something stops him, and Lunnie can feel his grip on her loosened. The next second, a new, unfamiliar voice, coming from a boy probably around her age, speaks out softly.

 

“Let her be. I can wait.”

 

Her father hesitates, but eventually he releases Lunnie. Lunnie breaths out a sigh of relief, mutters a thank you and resumes playing. She figures that it must be Minseok who saves her, but she can’t care any less as she’s still angry at him.

 

She certainly doesn’t miss the conversation between Minseok and his butler, though they’re sitting outside the room. As blind as she can be, she takes pride on her hearing, which she deems sharper than most ‘normal’ people.

 

Is she blind?” she hears Minseok whisper.

 

The words are followed by the sound of something slapped, probably Minseok’s hands. “Young Master, don’t say something like that.”

 

Lunnie snorts silently. Despite knowing her disability, she still doesn’t like it if people talk about it behind her back. Well, let’s see what this blind girl can do, she thinks, as she starts to play one of Mozart’s most difficult compositions.

 

-

 

 

 

Author's Notes:

So, Minseok finally makes an appearance.

I altered the female lead's character a bit, because I thought Kim Yoojung was too passive and silent in the MV, while Lunnie, in real life, is much more talkative and sometimes a bit stubborn, lol.

Well, what do you think about this chapter? Comments please! :)