23 - Frost

Acid Teochii

January 12th 2015

To say that Lee Dong-sun was in a bad mood was more than an understatement. He was furious.

“How dare he,” Vann ranted, pacing back and forth. The veins in his neck were standing out from how tense the oldest idol was. “How dare he treat you like that! If I had been here, I would have castrated him where he stood!”

“Vann-hyung, calm down…” Myung tried, smiling slightly to try and soothe the older male, he just got a glare in response.

“Don’t tell me to calm down. Why didn’t you tell me he’d hit you?” He snapped, glaring at Myung as he shrunk back. “And you,” He continued, turning to face Jin. “Why did you not call me yesterday? I told you that I was right here if you needed me! You let me find out when I come back to the dorm the next day that Myung’s bastard boyfriend beat him and only dated him for a date?!”

“He asked me not to tell you…”

“I don’t care! I deserved to know! I had a great day yesterday with my dad, I haven’t seen him properly in years, then I come back to check on you two to find Myung’s lip split open!”

“That wasn’t the case! I didn’t try to make it so you were kept in the dark, but Myung was shaken and upset and I didn’t want to make him worse!” Jin exclaimed while Vann huffed, quickly turning away to try and steady his breathing and calm his racing heart.

“Where is he now?” He asked, attempting to keep his voice level.

“We don’t know,” Myung muttered. “I’ve not heard from him, so I don’t know where he is…”

“Great, I’ll go and find him then.” Vann stated, walking towards the door with long strides.

“Wait!” Jin grabbed hold of Vann’s arm, stopping him from walking any further. “Where are you going?”

“To kill the person who beat our leader up?”

“No, you can’t do that. Just…just calm down, Vann-hyung. Please? Myung needs us, he’s still shaken. Doing this isn’t going to help anything, it’s just going to upset him more. Let… let me make you some tea, okay? Green tea?”

Vann sighed, nodding a little before sitting down on the couch beside Myung. After a few moments, Jin entered the room again, holding a cup of steaming green liquid. Placing the cup in Vann’s hands, he sat beside him, beginning to flick through the channels on the TV, finding anything he could to distract them from the situation at hand.

First Hyo’s death, now Myung getting beaten. 2015 really wasn’t off to a great start for the group.

Suddenly, Jin stopped flicking through the channels, coming to a stop when he saw Hercules playing.

Myung scoffed into the cushion he had been cuddling at the look of awe on the older boy’s face.

“What?” Jin asked, turning a little while somehow managing to keep his eyes trained on the cartoon in front of them.

“You and your Disney movies.” He replied, grinning into the cushion as Jin flushed red. “It’s adorable.”

Jin stuttered over his words, trying to figure out what to say. “I..it.. Disney movies are mature as hell!” He exclaimed, leaning over to the boy. “They’re all very mature and hold great morals for the children who watch them, that’s all!”

“Riiight, whatever you say, Jin-hyung…”

--------

January 13th 2015

Myung groaned slightly as he awoke, head pounding and his body still sprawled on the couch, Jin’s head on his lap and Vann lying on the floor surrounded by blankets beside them. The TV was still switched on, showing reruns of an old show that Myung couldn’t really be bothered to tell what it was.

Stretching slightly, as the kinks worked their way out of his back, he smacked his lips, running a hand through his already messy bed head. Smacking Jin with a cushion as he slowly stood, Myung yawned, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes and the crease marks off his face.

“Vann-hyung,” Myung muttered, kicking the older in the side. “Time to get up, come on.”

Jin grumbled as he got to his feet, glaring slightly at Myung for the rude awakening the young leader had given him. Vann, however, didn’t react to the foot in his side, just rolling slightly from the push.

Myung frowned, kneeling down beside the oldest member. “Vann?” He asked, putting a hand on his shoulder and shaking him gently. He groaned weakly for a second, his eyes flickering open. Vann was covered in a thin layer of sweat, shivering lightly every now and again. His eyes were unfocused, just staring straight ahead of him blankly. “Jin-hyung,” a note of panic rang through Myung’s voice. “Something must be really wrong, he’s not responding properly to anything, not properly anyway. What’s happening?”

“I don’t know, Myung.” Jin grabbed Vann’s arms, carefully pulling him into an upright position and leaning him on the couch, waving a hand in front of his face. “Vann-hyung,” Jin started, frowning but keeping calm. “Are you alright? What’s wrong?”

Vann just mumbled incoherently to himself, shaking his head side to side like a confused child.

“Jin-hyung, he’s really clammy and shaky… I don’t know what to do.” Myung’s voice was beginning to heighten in pitch as he began to panic, trying to focus on keeping calm but starting to fail.

“I don’t know either. Call Namjoon-hyung, he might know.”

Myung nodded, quickly getting to his feet and grabbing his mobile, dialing his manager’s familiar number and quickly putting the phone to his ear, pacing frantically.

‘Myung?’ The voice asked, obviously tired. ‘Myung it’s 4am, what’s going on?’

“It’s Vann,” Myung replied, trying to keep his voice calm and controlled. “Something’s wrong, he’s acting weird. He won’t focus on anything and he’s clammy and shaking, he wouldn’t wake up to begin with either when he’s usually a really light sleeper. I don’t know what’s going on.”

‘Keep calm Myung, I’ll be there soon, okay? Just calm down, it’ll be okay. Is Jin there with you?’

“Y-Yeah,” Myung stuttered, taking a deep breath. He was the leader, he had to work on keeping calm in situations like this. He would be no good to anyone while in a panicked frenzy. “Jin’s still trying to get him to respond.” Myung heard a door unlock from the other end of the phone.

‘I’m on my way now Myung, just calm down. I’ll be there in 5 minutes.’

Those 5 minutes were the longest 5 minutes of Myung’s life, watching as Vann just looked around the room with that unfocused gaze in his eyes, looking straight through everything, his hands still trembled wildly, eyes drifting shut every now and again. Jin and Myung were doing all they could to keep their calm, but it was hard when their oldest member was struggling through an illness where no-one knew what it was.

When the door opened and Namjoon hurried in, the tension fell from Myung’s shoulders. Help was here, they were going to make sure Vann was alright and tell them what the hell they could do to prevent it happening again. The manager went straight into the kitchen once he’d gotten into the dorm, returning with a small pack of pills and a device. Without saying anything to the two terrified boys, Namjoon placed a needle on the tip of Vann’s finger, stabbing it and drawing a drop of blood which he then placed on a small strip of paper, inserting into into the device and watching as the machine beeped. Namjoon cursed lightly, shaking Vann’s shoulder.

“Vann, listen to me, you need to swallow this pill okay?” He told him while pushing a white pill into Vann’s mouth, flushing it down his throat with water.

The room stayed silent for several seconds before Vann’s gaze began to clear and focus, Vann letting out a small, confused groan.

“What…?”

Myung and Jin almost collapsed from relief at the comprehensible word coming from their older’s lips.

Namjoon sighed, running a hand through his hair. “You fell into hypoglycaemia, Vann.” He told him, glaring at the boy through his glasses. “You are a complete and utter idiot, you know that?”

“Wait,” Myung interrupted, standing up slowly. “What are you talking about?”

“Vann is diabetic, type 1.” Namjoon explained, not looking Vann in the eye. “He promised me not to tell you all, he was embarrassed over his condition. So, I allowed him to have that one secret from you all to keep him happy, as long as he looked after himself and kept his blood sugar level up. Apparently, he failed his part of the agreement.”

Vann groaned again, this time hiding his face in his hands to hide his flushed pink cheeks. “Namjoon, cut it out.”

“You mean to tell me you’re diabetic and you didn’t let me know?” Myung asked, glaring over at the older male.

“Myung, no, it wasn’t like that…” Vann started, only to be cut off by Myung.

“It was exactly like that! You didn’t tell me you could have a condition that could possibly kill you? You’ve been living in the same place as me for nearly a year and you didn’t bother to let me know you’re diabetic!? You idiot!”

“Myung has a point, Vann-hyung…” Jin sighed, rubbing his head through the stress. “Just a few hours ago you were complaining that we didn’t instantly tell you about Yoongi, yet you’ve been hiding this from us…? Myung was near panic attack when you wouldn’t wake up.”

“Look, guys,” Vann tried to calm the angry leader. “It’s really no big deal, okay? I can handle it, I have been handling it.”

“Not exactly,” Namjoon said, sighing again. These kids he was managing just liked making life stressful for the poor guy. “You were minutes away from falling into a diabetic coma when I got here, these two didn’t know what was going on and wouldn’t know how to save you.” He pushed another pill out of the packet, handing it to Vann. “Take that.”

“What is that?” Jin asked, frowning.

“A glucose pill to get his blood sugar levels back up, that’s all. Don’t worry yourself too much. Now…what about Yoongi were you not telling Vann?”

Myung growled slightly. “We’ll talk about this later! It isn’t important right now, what’s important is the fact I’m trying to keep this group together and Vann nearly died because he was too embarrassed about something he can’t help! You’re an idiot Vann, a complete and utter idiot!”

“Look, Myung, I’m fine now, see?” Vann tried to comfort, not bothering to correct the younger on his informal language. He knew it wasn’t the place or the time to worry about such a thing.

“But you might not have been!” Tears had begun to spring to the leader’s eyes. “Look, I can’t lose you too! We lost Hyo, we’re close to losing Marco, Yue feels terrible, Hanni can’t stop crying, Jin’s sleeping alone in the Chinese line’s room, Ae-Cha is just angry at everyone, Hope won’t talk to any of us about what’s bothering him… not to mention the fact that Yuuki is getting less and less sarcastic these days! I know Cho keeps looking hate up about herself behind our backs and I can’t do anything about it!”

Myung panted slightly, exhausted from his rant. Jin, Namjoon and Vann just stared at the boy in shock.

“Myung,” Jin started, reaching forward to put a comforting hand on his shoulder. “Are you okay? You know you don’t have to take all of this stress on alone, right?”

“I do though, Jin-hyung..” Myung sighed, going back to his more formal speech. “I do have to, because it’s my job. It’s my job to look after you all, and be a leader for you all, to hold the stress… but it’s just so much and I’m so scared…”

“Why are you scared?” Vann asked, frowning.

“Because if we lost Hyo, who knows who else we could lose? More people might die and I can’t do anything about it, I’m a terrible leader.”

Vann said nothing, just pulling the young, stressed boy into his arms, guilt swelling in his chest from giving him such a scare.