Chapter 3

Waves and Flames
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He had been having the dream for a while now, 47 days to be exact, yes, he had counted.

It had all started simple, his dreams involved more water than normal, until slowly, that was all he dreamt about.

He would fly across oceans and rivers, dip his hands in the streams, feel the cool water absorb into his skin. He felt free and alive, like a bird, even though he belonged in the water.

And then his partner dreams began.

He would fly over the rivers and oceans, but then a giant waterfall would appear. He would enter it, he was curious to see what was behind it.

It was a grotto, the stones moist and damp, but the further he went on, the deeper he went, the stones dried up, becoming warm and uncomfortable until he saw the shadows of flames dancing on the walls.

He would keep going, he was curious, and then he would see him, the man with the semi long blonde hair, engulfed in flames, wearing them like an outfit, his hair looking like it was on fire as well.

He reaches out to take contact to him, he hears a name, like the wind whispering to him, “Eric” but he always wakes up before they get to touch.

It’s a warm summer day when he wakes up, the whole house is asleep still, his younger brother sleeping soundly next to him, sweating from the heat. But Hyesung isn’t warm at all.

Today is the day he gets to finally talk to that blonde man, the one he is destined to be with.

To be honest, he would have rather had his Flame be a girl, he never quite fancied men, but the more he thought about this whole thing, the better the idea of a male Flame seemed.

Statistically, teams with a Male flame and a female Wave did the best, but having a male Wave wasn’t too different, the only big difference was in teams with female Flames, they almost always performed worse on physical tests, and Hyesung was aiming for a high position job.

He knew he was a good Wave, the best in fact, and the man he was destined for seemed like a strong Flame, they would make a great team.

He got out of the comfortable bed. Ever since his powers started waking up, he had been able to stay cool in any weather, a power he quite enjoyed in the searing heat of the summer.

The Wave outfit was blue and silver, quite figure fitting, but he was a slender figure, so it would be fine.

Looking in the mirror, he really did resemble a fully fledged Wave. His hair was blue, quite long, and the design of his outfit did make him look extremely feminine. It wasn’t a must for the Wave to look feminine, but he knew it was often like that, even if he rather wear something manly.

“Hyesungah! Are you awake!?” his mother’s voice rung in his ears, she was a Wave too, while his father was a Flame.

They lived in a big house, they had money and status, his parents had aced the test, ranking number one in their year as the perfect Flame and Wave couple. And Hyesung was aiming to repeat that feat.

“Coming!” he ran down the stairs, the smell of breakfast lingering in the air.

He had to admit, he would miss waking up to food on the table and everything getting cleaned by house workers, but he was also excited to finally be an adult and move into the barracks where every Flame and Wave lived under their training.

“Oh Hyesung… look at yourself? You are growing up so fast…” his mom was crying, he knew she would cry, she was a Wave through and through.

“I know, I know, you’ll miss me and all that, but mom, I’ll be back before you know it” he ate quickly, he liked eating, even though that wasn’t something Waves were known for, but he dismissed it as just him being a man.

“Now, go say goodbye to your brother, and then come here and give me and your dad a proper goodbye…” she was tearing up even more, a handkerchief wiping her every tear as she spoke.

Jinkyo was still sleeping. Hyesung had been full of energy the whole morning, but seeing his younger brother peacefully sleeping made something crack inside of him. He felt the tears coming to his eyes as he sat down on the edge of the bed, placing a hand on the boy’s upper arm.

He really wouldn’t see his brother for a while. They had done everything together since he was born, and now he would be alone.

He smiled, maybe it was a weak attempt at stopping himself from crying, maybe his emotions were messed up and didn’t know what to do. But he felt the tears falling silently, he really was a wave deep inside, he just didn’t let many see it.

“I’ll… I’ll miss you Jinkyo… I hope I’ll make you proud today…” he squeezed the younger boy slightly, careful not to wake him up before he left the room, catching one last glimpse of his brother before heading back downstairs.

“Now… Hyesung… No matter how you do in that test, know that me and your mother are proud of you…” his dad spoke, he had an arm around his mother as she was a sobbing mess by now, she couldn’t even look at her son.

Hyesung had wiped his own tears, he hoped dearly that his eyes weren’t red.

“I know, and don’t worry, I’m going to do great, I know I am” he smiled brightly, but his dad didn’t seem to believe him as he just sighed and smiled.

“Dad, I mean it, you have nothing to worry about, I’ll be a great Wave, trust me” he smiled more confidently, but again his dad just sent him a strange look.

“I know. We are proud of you son…” his father reached out and pulled him into a strong hug, he was warm, and Hyesung could feel his tears welling back up in his eyes, he would really miss having his mother and father around.

“I… I’ll try…” he could hear his mom sobbing as she hugged him as well, and before he knew it he was out the door, one of their servants driving him to the auditorium.

He stepped out into the sun soaked square, teens and young adults in red and blue were lining up in long lines, one for Flames and one for Waves.

The car had already left him, he was all alone in the confusion. For the first time in his life he had to be Shin Hyesung, the Wave.

There were mostly girls in the Wave queue, but he could see a younger looking boy, quite short, standing alone, looking all around.

Come to think of it, he did seem like one of the taller Waves. Waves were usually shorter than their Flames, so his Flame must be quite tall.

“Hey” he approached the timid looking boy, his big eyes shifting quickly. He seemed scared, as if he wasn’t supposed to be there. Was he too young? Was he trying to take the test before he was actually ready?

“H… hi…” the small kid had an incredibly high pitched voice, but then again, he looked younger than Jinkyo, maybe he hadn’t hit puberty yet.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter