Chapter 2

Waves and Flames
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He was floating. His eyes were closed, and he felt the air surrounding him and lifting him up. He stretched his arms out, he was , free, he felt nothing but the air.

Then the whispers came, the gentle calming whispers from the woman, the shadow woman. He opened his eyes, she was there, flames engulfing her. She beckoned him to give her his hands, he obeyed, like always.

As soon as she touched him the flames disappeared from her, got transferred, to him, he felt them glowing, he felt the heat. She let go and drifted off, instead being replaced by a young guy, glowing blue and surrounded by drops of water.

He got pulled towards the boy, they were similar in height, he had semi long black hair, two white stripes, and a gorgeous smile.

He was too, but covered by the water and ice, it was like clothing, the same way the flames were to him.

He reached his hands out to touch the other one, and his actions were mirrored by him.

They touched, the flames mixing with the water, blurring his vision with steam, he was blinded, only being able to feel the small hands of the other boy.

And then he opened his eyes, looking at the ceiling of his room. Today was the day.

He got up quickly, he couldn’t sleep anymore, he was going to meet his Wave today, finally, he would hear his voice, hug him, talk to him.

He stormed down the stairs to the kitchen, his parents were there, preparing breakfast, his sister too.

“So? Are you ready my little Minwoo?” his sister smiled and ruffled his hair when he sat down.

“Yah I’m not little! I’ll be an adult now!” He pushed her hand off to flatten his hair again, he had to look great for his Wave.

“I know… Seriously it feels like just yesterday when you followed me to my ceremony, trying to tell the guards that you were ready too…” she laughed and took a bite out of her bread.

“Yah! I was a kid, it’s not funny!” he pouted, seriously they better not act like this when his Wave gets here, he needs to give him a good impression.

“Where is your partner anyway? Shouldn’t you be somewhere?” he fought back, he had to change subject, being the youngest was never funny, they could all go on endlessly about his childhood.

“He’s asleep, I would be too, we came home late yesterday, but I had to see my baby brother off right?” She smiled again, trying to ruffle his hair, but this time he managed to dodge.

“Ahhh, thank you…” he smiled embarrassed, he didn’t know what to say, he was actually a little scared, he didn’t know exactly what would happen, but he couldn’t wait.

“Ready to meet your man?...” she winked at him, her smile sly.

“Yah! I…” he didn’t know what to say, he was, or was he? He wanted to…

“I still can’t believe it, my baby brother will have a male Wave…” she turned to look out of the window “Good thing my Wave is male huh? Someone has to give mom and dad grandkids…” she turned to him and laughed, earning herself a smack on the shoulder from Minwoo.

“Yah that’s not my choice!” he yelled, and now their parents were paying attention to them.

“Calm down kids, Minwoo eat your breakfast, and Youngmi, leave him alone” their mother spoke, Minwoo could almost see her hands glowing from the anger, she was a Flame too.

He always thought his dad must have been a little sad, not having a single kid become a Wave like him. Waves were easier, especially as kids, so Minwoo knew his dad would have loved it, especially since he could have had someone to teach.

“Son? You need to change clothes too…” his father spoke slowly, not affected by the fighting at all.

“I will, don’t worry…” he flashed a smile and began to chew his food quickly.

“I’m only reminding you cause you have been known to leave the house without getting dressed…” he spoke so calmly, if it wasn’t for the context, you wouldn’t have known that he had just , but Minwoo knew, it would be hell introducing his Wave to this family.

He shook his head and climbed the stairs quickly, getting to his room and slowing down.

The red clothes were there, on the chair.

It had been there for a month soon, and he hadn’t touched them much, he really didn’t need to till now, but, now, he was going to wear them, like many other kids.

His Wave would be dressed in blue, he would look stunning, the white stripes would look great with the silver of the Wave outfit.

Many kids did that, dyed their hair right before the ceremony, he had done it too, dyed highlights, reddish brown, it was a way of telling people that you were not a kid anymore, and you were proud of what element had chosen you.

Really, kid wasn’t the right word, he wasn’t a kid, he was a teen.

Some got their element as early as 16, some as late as 20, it really depended on the elements, no one knew what made you ready, you just got the dreams, and that was it, sometimes it had to do with your partner needing to be of age too, his sister had been 17, her partner 20, so he had waited for her.

He picked up the jacket, letting his hands trail on the soft fabric, his Wave would have the same soft fabric, would he be thinking of him now?

He had finally put it on, and fixed his hair again, when he walked down the stairs, slower this time.

“Mom? Dad?...” he voiced, all eyes on him.

“Oh Minwoo…” his mother exclaimed, hands covering .

“You look amazing son…” She ran to him and embraced him hard “My little baby have grown up…” he could hear her being close to tears, he could see his father smiling, his sister had tears in her eyes.

“I’ll be back with him later, don’t be sad” he flashed a smile and excited the house, for the last time without his powers.

He took the train, really, it was the fastest way to the auditorium, at least when his house was right next to a station.

There weren’t many other kids on the train, he saw a girl, W

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter