deux

The Districts of Yoongeun High: Vardoclya
 
 
 
 
02: how to be sincere
 

A week has passed since the results were out. Apparently, the list was posted on the school's website, complete with the grades the passers got in the exam. Jungkyung found out that Sehun got in, being the 31st on the list, as well as Krystal, who came in 56th. She also found out that she barely made it to Yoongeun High, getting a point more than what was needed to pass. Still, she was relieved that she actually got in to one of Korea's most prestigious school.

 

"I still can't get over it," Sehun said, his smile wide. "And I was the 31st!"

 

Jungkyung put a teaspoon of sugar into her coffee and stirred it a couple of times. "You did well. Congratulations," then she put the spoon down and brought the cup up to her nose, smelling the coffee's aroma. It was strong enough for her liking.

 

"Not sincere enough."

 

"I don't have to smile sweetly to be considered sincere, do I?" she said, throwing him an annoyed look.

 

"If you want to convince people, then you should," then he took a sip of his favorite drink — bubble tea. "Besides, you don't have to bitter about the results."

 

"I'm not."

 

Sehun shrugged, still unconvinced, then sighed. "I guess I'll be spending another three years with you," he said, glancing up at her to check on her reaction.

 

To his amusement, Jungkyung glared at him before drinking up her coffee. She immediately regretted putting sugar in it. "Don't think you're the only one who's tired of it," then she put the cup down. "So, why did you call me?"

 

"Oh, right," then Sehun leaned a littler forward, both of his hands on the table. "Krystal also made it to Yoongeun High. I was the first one she called and told about it. Do you think that meant something?"

 

His answer didn't improve her mood. "If we're going to talk about her, then I think I'll just leave."

 

"Answer me first. It's bothering me for quite some time now."

 

Jungkyung looked up at him, only to see his pleading look. "Do I have to? I mean you can always ask her directly."

 

"We just broke up. I broke up with her, to be exact. I don't want to look like I'm apologizing and begging her to come back."

 

"That's exactly what you want, right?"

 

There was a short, awkward silence. Jungkyung mentally cursed herself for not being able to handle her bad mood well. She was a bad talker, a bad friend, and a bad best friend, and she knew that. Not wanting to make a greater tension, she spoke up, breaking the silence she created herself.

 

"Look. I don't really know what Krystal was thinking that time, but I guess she called you first since you're still special to her. Maybe she wanted you to know that she's not angry because of the breakup and is still open for friendship," then she sighed. "But then again, I'm not sure about it." Sehun just looked down and didn't answer, so she continued. "I still think it's better for the two of you to talk. Who knows? You, two, might actually get back together."

 

And with that, he glanced up at her and smiled. "Yeah, you're right. I'll call her one of these days."

 

"No. Meet her personally. That would be more effective, more sincere... I guess."

 

Sehun snickered and nodded, feeling a little lighter. "I'm pretty good at being sincere," then he stood up and ruffled Jungkyung's hair, something he usually does when she says helpful things to brighten up his mood. "You're not going to drink your coffee anymore, right?"

 

Jungkyung stood up as well, fixing her hair. "I didn't know why I even put sugar in it."

 

He picked up his bubble tea, almost forgetting it. "I actually found it weird. Let's go."

 

The two went out of the cafè in silence. Jungkyung looked at every shop they passed by, checking if there was something good to buy for her or her dad. She also thought of giving Sehun a gift for passing the exam, which wasn't a hard task since she's known him for nine years already. She definitely knew what and what not to buy for him. Her quietness was misunderstood by Sehun, though, so he immediately apologized.

 

"What for?" she asked, her eyes still on the shops.

 

"For disturbing you. I shouldn't have asked you to meet me just to ask useless things. I'm sorry."

 

Jungkyung shifted her gaze to her best friend, trying her best not to smile. "Hey. I don't really mind. I wasn't in the good mood earlier, though. Sorry."

 

Sehun glanced back at her and smiled. "Now, that's sincere."

 

"Shut it."

 

"But, honestly, your advice was really good, I thought I was speaking to a completely different person."

 

"Was that supposed to be an insult?"

 

He chuckled and put his arm around her shoulder. "No, not really, but thanks. I can really count on you in this kind of things."

 

It wasn't the first time he did that to her, but she wasn't used to having such physical closeness with Sehun. Her cheeks went a bit red, and she was thankful he wasn't looking at her. "You really know how to embarrass people."

 

"Then that's great," then he finished his bubble tea, which took him a only minute. "I knew it. I should have bought two bubble teas."

 

"You shouldn't. Too much caffeine is bad."

 

"But that's nothing compared to a cup of your favorite coffee."

 

She sighed. He was right. Coffee has more caffeine than tea. "Right, right."

 

They reached Jungkyung's house before they knew it. Sehun put his arm down and faced Jungkyung. She, on the other hand, started to open the gate to hide her still red face. She wanted to stay with him a little longer, but she thought Sehun might have other things to attend to. With her cheeks turning back to their normal color, she looked at friend and nodded.

 

"See you at school, I guess."

 

Sehun smiled and nodded, too. "Yeah. I'll be going now."

 

"Be careful on your way," then she entered her house without glancing back at him.