sept

The Districts of Yoongeun High: Vardoclya
 
 
 
 
07: noted
 

"Is he serious?" Jongin muttered as he sat down on the black couch nearest to the door. "This place is too big us, don't you think?" then he shot Jungkyung a glance.

She heard his question and answered him with just a shrug. She made her way towards the stairs, climbed up a few steps, then looked around the spaceous living room. It was a little empty; a few couches to sit on, a black coffee table, a couple of plant boxes for decoration, two big paintings hanging on the lavender-colored walls, and a big chandelier floating above them. Jongin was right - it was too big for just the two of them.

"I'll be in my room," Jungkyung said after checking the place and went upstairs, leaving the guy alone on his own.

Jungkyung was surprised to see her bags placed on her queen-sized bed, which welcomed her the moment she opened the door. She knew nothing of how they got there, but she has no interest in figuring it out, either. She sat on the bed and she let her eyes wander around her own, new space. The first thing she noticed was the study table lying to the right side of the bed and she thought it was big enough for her to place all her books on it. The fact that it was also by the big window made her want to study as soon as possible. Then she shifted her gaze to her left, where she found a black closet leaning on the wall, its door ajar. She stood up and walked towards it, a hand slowly reaching the handle. Pulling it open, she saw five sets of uniform, each of different color. There were also nameplates pinned to them, which made her think they were for her.

"I know you're wondering why they have different colors."

The sudden visitor made Jungkyung jump a little. She immediately turned to look at the door, only to find it closed. She was about to speak when she felt something light on her left shoulder. It was a black butterfly with violet spots on its wings.

"You weren't the one who just spoke, right?" Jungkyung asked, picking up the insect and putting it down on her palm.

To her horror, it answered back as it flapped its wings a couple of times. "It was me," it said, its voice soft but clear.

Jungkyung tried her best not to throw the butterfly away and freak out. She knew she wasn't that kind of person who easily lose composure. "H-How?"

"I don't know, myself. I just can," then the butterfly rose and flew around her. "I'm Violet. I'm happy to finally have someone to talk to. This house had been empty for 25 years, and I have to tell you those years were long and boring. If only I can throw a party, I would."

Once again, she was surprised at how much it said, hanging open. "Uh, well, we can. Maybe."

It stayed floating for a while, then rested on Jungkyung's shoulder. "But, but a party's not fun if there are only two people, and two butterflies who don't really know how to have fun."

"Two butterflies?"

"Yes. That Jongin kid has Lester, a fellow butterfly of mine. He's a good company, but he's most of the time lazy. Can't blame him, though. Waiting for decades is tiring and will surely make you see thing troublesome. I just wish Jongin's fun to be with."

Jungkyung shrugged slightly, taking note of her new partner on her shoulder. "I don't know if he is, sorry. We're not—"

A blood-curdling scream made her stop and look at the door, waiting for someone to crash in. A few seconds later, no one entered her room but she heard someone breathing heavily outside. Hesitating, Jungkyung walked to the door and slowly opened the door, only to see Jongin on his knees, tiny beads of sweat on his forehead. He looked up at her and after realizing the state he was in in front of his schoolmate, he immediately stood up.

"C-Can I stay h-here for a moment?" he suddenly asked, stuttering.

Jungkyung raised an eyebrow at him. "Why?"

"Just let me in."

"That hurts," another voice said, catching everyone's attention.

Jungkyung saw a light gray butterfly, slightly smaller than Violet. It was about to approach Jongin when the said man pulled Jungkyung in front of him as a shield. The girl noted how his hands trembled.

"Don't come any closer, you, fly," Jongin said, almost shouting. "And why the hell are you talking? When did insects learn how to speak?"

Jungkyung sighed in annoyance. She hated it when people use her as a cover, literally or figuratively. "Relax. They won't harm you, if that's what you're afraid of."

"Just get it away from me," he begged.

"Then you're really afraid of insects? Seriously?" her tone teasing. Somehow, she found his actions amusing.

It took him seconds to answer honestly. "Only butterflies."

"You're gay." She wasn't the kind of person to just blurt out something offensive or insensitive, but the current situation made her do so. "Really gay."

Jongin was pissed off, but he, himself, was convinced that he did look gay. Without any word, he stood up straight and walked towards the gray butterfly floating in the air a few feet from Jungkyung. He took a deep breath before holding out his hand, waiting for the insect to land on it. And it did, sending him almost unconscious. He shot a glance at Jungkyung, a forced smile on his face.

"You don't have to prove anything, though," she said. "If there's nothing else you—"

Jongin glared at her and dropped his hand, the insect flying away from him. "Hey! Are you making fun of me?"

"I'm not. Excuse me," then she reached for the door and was about to close it when he stopped her. She looked up at him with dead eyes. "What now?"

He returned her gaze with a serious, intense one and after putting words in his mind together, he answered. "I'm not gay."

What he said was something she wasn't prepared for, so fighting back a good laugh became unsuccessful. Her reaction also surprised Jongin, making him think that she actually has other expressions aside from the nonchalant one she displayed the first time they met. He watched her giggle, the back of her hand covering and her shoulders moving as she laughed. He also let her voice register in his mind. And before he knew it, he was watching her with warm eyes and a sweet smile.

"Oh, yeah. I'll remember that," and with a grin, Jungkyung nodded and softly closed the door behind her.