six

The Districts of Yoongeun High: Vardoclya
 
 
 
 
06: vardoclya
 

Jungkyung stood there silently, slowly growing impatient and worried. She was happy for Sehun, a blue butterfly flying gracefully around him, as if congratulating and welcoming him into the air district. But as the minutes went by, the number of students still up on their spots decreased and by the time the headmaster announced the remaining time, there were only four people left. Jungkyung noticed that Kim Jongin was still waiting, his hands inside her pockets and his head hanging low.

“I thought she’s better than that,” a male teacher whispered and watched as Jungkyung’s expression became darker. “I was expecting butterflies from Aoresa and Therithiel, but I guess she’ll be welcomed at the Zayand district, instead.”

“The district for those who got no talent, huh,” another teacher, a female one, said, crossing her arms over her chest. “Well, then watch those butterflies you mentioned fly. Looks like they’re approaching someone.”

True enough, two large butterflies slowly flew around the gall, all eyes suddenly on them. They went around in circles, slowing down when passing the four remaining students, then parted their ways moments later. The blue butterfly stopped in front of a girl named Dasom, who sighed in relief and took her seat, and the yellow one landed on the shoulder of Byun Baekhyun, who simply smiled as he sat down. This made Jungkyung feel hopeless.

“Two more minutes,”Park Jungsoo said over the microphone, his gaze on Jungkyung. “and two more students left. Don’t worry. There’s still a district waiting for you if ever none of the butterflies chose you.”

Jungkyung heard the malice in his tone and shot him a glare. She made an eye contact with the headmaster, trying to understand what his eyes were conveying, if there was any. Then something caught Jungsoo’s attention, breaking the quiet conversation they were having. Jungkyung looked up as well, only to see two more butterflies, one was brown and the other was yellow, going down.

For a moment, they flew and slowly stopped in front of their choices. Most of the students gasped at the sight, something none of them were expecting. Some of the teachers were also surprised, including the headmaster.

“Oh,” Kim Jonghyun, the head of Rhaetrem, said. “This turned rather interesting.”

Lee Jinki, a man sitting beside Jonghyun, nodded. “You’re right. It looks like Vardoclya has found someone good enough for its district.”

Kim Jongin froze for a moment, his eyes fixed on the butterflies in front of him, then took his seat after snapping out of his trance. He glanced up at Jungkyung, who remained patient and kept her emotions at bay. She would never show how frustrated she felt, especially not in front of Jungsoo.

“30 seconds,” Mr. Park announced.

Sehun looked at Jungkyung and, hesitantly, reached for her hand. She didn’t react, though, but she felt a little better.

“It’s okay. There’s still time left,” Sehun whispered to her, but he wasn’t quite sure if she heard him or not since she made no response.

The crowd started to whisper to each other, making the hall noisy. 15 seconds passed and, still, no butterfly came down to approach Jungkyung. She inaudibly sighed and closed her eyes, trying to recall some happy memories to calm her nerves. It worked, for some odd reasons, and when the students went silent, she slowly opened her eyes. She was expecting for the worst — no butterflies, no time left, everyone making fun of her. Instead, what she saw was something she has never imagined.

“Now, this is interesting,” Kim Taeyeon said. “I knew those insects are up to something big.” She turned her gaze to Jungsoo, whose eyes were wide as saucers. “How about that, headmaster? Someone’s finally rewriting history.”

Six butterflies came flying towards Jungkyung, as if all of them were in a race. The green one landed on her shoulder first, followed by the brown, yellow, white, and red ones. The remaining butterfly hesitated, and before the time ended, it rested on top of Jungkyung’s head. Everyone was shocked, but the headmaster was able to snap out of it first.

“That ends the assigning of districts,” Jungsoo broke the silence, quite not satisfied with what he witnessed. “Now, follow your respective head teachers and they will show you where your districts are. Again, congratulations everyone, and I’ll see you all around.”

Sehun gave Jungkyung a pat on the shoulder before approaching his district’s head teachers. She stood there, still shocked with what happened. She began to wonder why she was picked by not only one, but six butterflies, and whether she deserved being chosen at all.

“That was a nice show.”

Jungkyung looked up and saw Kim Jongin, together with a teacher she didn’t notice before. The man smiled sweetly at her and held his right hand out for a handshake.

“Hi, Jungkyung,” the teacher greeted. “I’m Lee Donghae. Nice to meet you.”

Hesitating, she took his hand. “Nice to meet you, too,” then she immediately let go. “I assume you’ll be our leader.”

The man nodded, his smile still plastered on his face. “You’re right, but the headmaster assigned me temporarily. Until he finds a more suitable person for the job, I’ll be taking care of the both of you.”

“Well, then, please take care of us,” she said then gave the teacher a bow.

"Of course, he will," someone answered.

The three looked at the sound's source and to their surprise, and to Jungkyung's annoyance, it was the headmaster. Donghae bowed down at him and Jungsoo tapped him lightly on the shoulder. He glanced up at Jungkyung before adverting his attention on the teacher.

"And since you're the one I trust the most," he continued. "I'm permanently giving you the job as their head teacher. Don't disappoint me."

Donghae's eyes widened at the news he heard. And, in Jungkyung's perspective, he looked relieved more than anything else. "I won't."

"Well," Jongin spoke up, his hands inside his pockets once again. "When are we going to be introduced to our district?"

"Oh, right," then Donghae nodded. "Please, follow me. I will be showing you your new home, the district of Vardoclya."

After saying his goodbye, the headmaster let the three leave the hall. Donghae lead his students to a 15-minute walk, while Jungkyung and Jongin followed the teacher silently. Their trip wasn't that tiring, but it was long enough for them to wipe off beads of sweat on their foreheads. Jungkyung thought of asking Donghae if there's another way of going there than to walk, but decided to just keep shut. She wasn't in the mood to speak, anyway.

The head teacher stopped in front of a 10-feet tall, violet gate. It looked old and unused, with its lock still on and a thin layer of moss covering it. Donghae began digging his right pocket and took out a violet key. He, then, used it to unlock the gate, putting much effort in pushing it open and asking Jongin to help him. Jungkyung expected an old, abandoned building waiting for them, but she was surprised with what welcomed her.

Butterflies of different colors came flying around them after they successfully opened the gate. Jungkyung found them beautiful, but Jongin looked rather scared and unconsciously stepped back away from them.

"Alright," then Donghae looked at his students and smiled at them. "Welcome to Vardoclya, the district of the chosen ones."