trois

The Districts of Yoongeun High: Vardoclya
 
 
 
 
03: feelings all over the place
 

"Here, here! Let's take a picture together!"

 

"Oh my God. I'm going to miss you!"

 

"Really? We'll be going to the same high school? That's great!"

 

There were still 15 minutes left before the graduation starts, but the crowd in front of the school's gym was already large. The people around Jungkyung were full of happiness and sadness at the same time. Happiness since, finally, they have graduated from middle school and will enter high school to meet new friends. And sadness because they have to leave their friends to meet others. It was the time of the year when feelings are all over the place, but not for Jungkyung.

 

It was entirely different for her. Maybe having very few friends was a factor, but she didn't find graduating a special event. For her, it just meant the beginning of three more years of hardship, sacrifices, and homeworks. Instead of feeling happy or sad about it, she felt anxious, which she thought was normal. And her father sensed that feeling she has.

 

"It's okay," he assured. "High school's fun." Basing from Jungkyung's lack of reaction, he knew that his daughter wasn't convinced. "You still have Sehun with you, so it'll be fine."

 

Jungkyung sighed and looked around, only to find her schoolmates saying goodbye to each other, though no one bid their goodbye to her. It was as if they didn't notice her presence at all. "I'm afraid I will at making friends again, but it won't be surprising if I did."

 

"You'll have some, somehow. We all have that fear once we're entering a new phase in our lives. You just have to be friendly and be yourself, my dear."

 

"That's a contradiction. How can I be friendly and not at the same time?"

 

"Hey, Jungkyung!" Sehun exclaimed as he approached his friend. Like the other students, he was grinning from ear to ear, and Jungkyung thought it was cute. "I've been looking for you. I thought you already left."

 

"What do you want?" she coldly asked.

 

"Let's have a picture together. You know, something to add in my album."

 

She looked at him in disbelief, and also in disgust. "Picture?"

 

He just nodded. "Yeah. Just one."

 

"We're going to the same high school, right? I don't think we have to have—"

 

"It's fine, Kyungchi," her father interrupted her, calling her by her nickname he created himself. It earned him a glare from his daughter. "You took a picture with him when you graduated from elementary, so why not make it a tradition?" then he looked at Sehun and smiled. "Give me your camera. I'll take your picture."

 

Sehun complied and stood beside Jungkyung, ready for the camera. Jungkyung just sighed and tried not to smile awkwardly when her father started to count. In a flash, their photo was taken and her smile vanished as if it was never there. The camera was given back to Sehun and he immediately looked at their picture.

 

"We were of the same height before, but now I'm taller than you," then Sehun held his camera out to Jungkyung. "Want to look at it?"

 

"No, thanks," she answered. "I'm not really interested."

 

"You, two, look good together," her dad remarked out of nowhere.

 

Jungkyung's eyes widened in shock and shifted its gaze to his father, who was smiling sweetly as if he said nothing. "Dad!"

 

He just shrugged, amused by his daughter's reaction. He found it fun teasing her. "I'm just saying what I think of the two of you."

 

Sehun chuckled and scooted over to Jungkyung's side. "Really, uncle?"

 

"Quit it, Oh Sehun," Jungkyung hissed, but she was thankful her friend misunderstood what her father said as a joke.

 

Her father tapped her shoulder and nodded. "I'll go now. It seems like the program will start soon. Text me when you're coming home." Seeing his daughter nod, he silently headed to his car and drove off, leaving the two behind.

 

"By the way," Sehun continued. "My mom gave me some money to celebrate," then he glanced down at his friend. "Come with me."

 

"Why?"

 

"Why not?"

 

"Um, hi," a newcomer greeted.

 

The two looked up and saw Krystal standing a few feet from them. She was wearing the same uniform as everyone, but looked differently in it — she was the most good looking. Her eyes were on Sehun, and she inched closer to him the moment he turned to look at her. All of them were silently for a moment, finding the scenario awkward. They were mesmerized by Krystal's beauty, which always happens, especially Sehun.

 

"Am I disturbing you?" the stunning girl asked, her soft voice was barely heard.

 

Seeing that Sehun was busy staring, Jungkyung sighed and answered. "No, no. Are you going to talk to Sehun?"

 

The mention of his name snapped him out of his trance. "Me?"

 

Krystal nodded. "Yes. I'd like to have a little conversation with you before I—"

 

"Sorry, but I'm quite busy now," he cut her off, but managed to give his ex-girlfriend a polite smile. "Maybe next time?"

 

"Sure. How about tonight?"

 

"I'm afraid I'm not free. Jungkyung and I will spend some time together—"

 

Jungkyung didn't let him finish and elbowed him. "Don't make it sound wrong," then she glanced up at Krystal. "It's okay. You, two, should talk."

 

"No," Sehun said with authority. "I already invited you out, so why are you insisting me to go with her?" then he ruffled Jungkyung's hair intently as he gazed at Krystal. "We'll leave right after the ceremony ends. Make sure to tell uncle about it." He sent another look to his friend before walking into the hall.

 

The ceremony ended after almost two hours. Some stayed for the food, and some left, including Sehun and Jungkyung. The drive was quiet despite the background music coming from the car's stereo. She found the set-up awkward — the driver silently doing his job, Sehun sitting comfortably as he looked out of the window, and her sitting beside him. She knew it wasn't a date, but the idea made her a little happy and, of course, embarrassed.

 

"Hey, you look tensed," Sehun said after looking at Jungkyung. "Is there a problem?"

 

Jungkyung shook her head, her eyes avoiding his. She let her shoulder drop and sighed. "Nothing."

 

"Oh. Alright," then he looked back outside. He crossed his arms over his chest and let his mind wander. He was silent for a moment, which Jungkyung didn't bother to break, until a thought popped up in his head. "I think I overdid it."

 

Not really getting what he meant, but having a little idea, she nodded. "Yeah, you did."

 

Sehun sighed and hit his head once. "I'm really stupid."

 

"Yeah, you are."

 

He threw her a glare, but she ignored it. "You don't have to agree immediately on that one."

 

"But you are. I was actually helping you back there, to give you some time to talk to her, but you acted all high and mighty," then she glimpsed at Sehun. "I won't be surprised if she hates you already."

 

"All I wanted was for her to see that I am no longer affected, that I wasn't bitter about the breakup."

 

"That's stupid," then she shifted her body to properly face him. "Do you know what it looked like to me? I thought you were bitter, that you were miserable. It was as if you were expecting her to run after you, which made you look like an idiot. You're contradicting what your heart wants, Sehun. I know that you still like her, but doing those things won't make you look cool."

 

"So, you're telling me to apologize to her?"

 

"I'm telling you that you should apologize," then Jungkyung looked out of the window, wondering if she told him useful things to help with his issues. "I heard that she's leaving Seoul tomorrow. If I were you, I'll talk to her now than wait 'til August."

 

Sehun froze after realizing what his friend has said. "She's leaving?"

 

"She was about to tell that to you earlier, but you cut her off."

 

"Wait a minute," then he took his phone out of his pocket and dialed Krystal number. After a few rings, she answered. "Hello, Krystal?"

 

Jungkyung didn't bother to listen to what Sehun said over the phone, but she caught up something about their school's gate. She thought the conversation would last for a few minutes, but the call ended just after a few exchanges of lines. She watched as Sehun put his phone back to his pocket and looked back at her, his smile warm and apologetic.

 

"Thanks, Kyungchi," then Sehun reached for her hair and ruffled it. "Let's postpone tonight's celebration."

 

She was relieved that, finally, he's going for the right way. But she was suddenly sad that they won't be spending the night together. "It's fine."

 

"Mr. Kim," he called the driver. "Drop me by the bus stop."

 

Sehun got off the car as soon as it stopped near a bus stop. He gave Jungkyung a wave before the car drove off again. She was tempted to look back and wait for his figure to be out of sight, but she fought it back. She knew better than to let her own heart break.