un

The Districts of Yoongeun High: Vardoclya
 
 
 
 
01: welcome to yoongeun high
 

It was freezing, a little below 2 degrees, when Jungkyung went out of their school's main building one afternoon of January. They were almost halfway through their winter break, but because of the exam, they were forced to go back to school to take it. She hated everything that day — the exam, the weather, a day stolen from her vacation, everything. If only she wasn't into Yoongeun High, she wouldn't bother taking the exam like everyone else in her class.

 

"How's the exam?"

 

Jungkyung felt a tap on her shoulder. There was no need for her to look up since she already knew who it was. "If I'm not mistaken, you took the same exam as mine. I see no reason for me to answer that question of yours."

 

"You did, though," said Sehun as he slid his hands into his jacket's pockets. "Well, I'm pretty sure you did well. You always do, anyway."

 

"Not this time, Sehun. Not this time."

 

He took a glance at his friend. "Why?"

 

"I didn't answer the last part of the exam."

 

"Why?"

 

"I wasn't in the mood."

 

"Why?"

 

"One more and I'll tell everyone in our class you used to wear your mother's underwear."

 

Sehun chuckled, finding her threat funny rather than frightening, then shook his head. "You always you that against me, but never did it before. How am I suppose to stop when your words aren't that scary?"

 

"How about I do it for real this time?" Jungkyung said, sounding serious as usual. "I wonder what Krystal will think of you when she finds out."

 

"Oh, yeah. We broke up."

 

Jungkyung came to a halt and slowly turned her head to look at Sehun, her eyes as wide as saucers. "You what?"

 

"We broke up just before the vacation started," he answered as he continued to walk. "But it wasn't her who initiated the break up, it was me. I'm cool just like that." His voice cracked by the end of his sentence, but he shrugged it off. "Our relationship ended, just like that."

 

Sighing, she walked up to him and grabbed his arm. She spun him around and looked at him straight in the eye. Sehun didn't look back, though, but she knew he was sad. She knew he needed someone to talk to and she knew it has to be her. After a few moments of just standing a few meters from their school, she began to realize that it was snowing and they needed a warm place to stay.

 

"Want a cup of coffee? My treat."

 

 

 

 

 

Jungkyung checked her watch as she entered her house and it read a quarter past 8. Her dad wasn't really strict about her coming home a little late, but she wasn't just the kind of person who abuses such freedom. She left her shoes on the shoe rack, changed into her slippers, and entered the living room where she found her father silently watching the television. She sat close beside him and smiled. It's the place she always wanted to be in.

 

"Sorry, I came home late," Jungkyung apologized even if she knew she doesn't have to.

 

"It's fine," her dad answered with a warm smile on his face. "If you were with Sehun, then I don't really mind."

 

She looked up at her father and gave him a light punch. "You're telling me that again."

 

"What's the matter? I'm just saying that I trust Sehun enough to let him go out with you," then he glanced down at his daughter. "Your dad knows who to trust, my dear."

 

"Dad, we're just friends."

 

Her dad nodded and brought his gaze back to the television. "I know."

 

Jungkyung put her head on his father's shoulder and watched with him. As usual, he was watching a soccer game between two teams she doesn't know and wouldn't bother knowing. Unlike her father, she hates sports that are too exhausting. Badminton and table tennis were some of those she can tolerate.

 

She was about to stand up and go to her room when she heard the mail slot click. She and her dad exchanged glances, both were confused as to who would be delivering a mail at that time of the night. Hesitating, Jungkyung stood up and went to get the mail. She came back to the living room with a green envelope on her hand, her name written on it. She wasn't expecting any letter, so it was a shock for her.

 

"Go ahead and read it," said her father, his eyes on the letter.

 

"Alright," then she carefully opened the envelope and read what was inside. She quietly read the letter, making her father more curious. After a few seconds of silence, Jungkyung looked up at her dad with wide eyes. "Dad."

 

"What is it?" then he walked over to his daughter. "What's in it? What did it say?"

 

"'Welcome', dad. 'Welcome to Yoongeun High.'"