Chapter 4

May the Best Man Wins

 

The day went well. The awkward atmosphere was gone already but Seohyun was out to play. She’s giving Yonghwa his own dose of medicine as they say.

 

 

They were given a mission as a couple to perform a duet for the Korean Wave concert and they decided to sing a mash up of Run Devil Run by SNSD and Love Light. The duet mission was given for the 2 to commemorate their 200 days being a virtual couple.

 

 

 Both knew what the celebration was about but Seohyun was playing a prank on Yonghwa. She’s pretending not to remember. Payback time for him making her worry for one month of no communication.

 

 

The staff treated the two for dinner after wrapping the shoot, they had a fun night. Yonghwa was extra attentive to Seohyun. They sat together and Yonghwa always sees to it that Seohyun had what she wanted.

 

 

They lost track of time that it was almost midnight when everybody decided that it’s time to go home already. Everybody said their goodbyes to each other and all went out of the restaurant. Seohyun got a call from her manager that he was on his way to fetch her and she said she’ll just wait for him there.

 

 

“Was that hyung you were talking to?” Yonghwa asked.

 

 

“Yes, he said he’s on his way to pick me up.”

 

 

“I’ll wait with you here.”

 

 

“Aniyo oppa kenchana. Just go home and have a rest”

 

 

“It’s okay I’ll just wait with you or better yet why not I’ll just drop you off to your dorm?”

 

 

“Are you sure?”

 

 

“Yeah just call hyung and tell him I’ll give you a ride”

 

 

“Okay. Thanks oppa”

 

 

Seohyun called her manager telling him Yonghwa will drop her in their dorm. The manager agreed and went home instead. While on the way to Seohyun’s dorm the two talked about their plans for the duet. The two were so immersed with their planning and their throwing jokes at each other that YOnghwa’s manager can’t help but laugh when he looks at the two.

 

 

When your looking at how the two are talking makes you think they’re in their own world. It’s as if his manager hyung doesn’t exist and that feeling just kept going until they have finally arrived in Seohyun’s dorm.

 

 

Yonghwa got off first.

 

 

“Hyung wait a minute I’ll just walk Seohyun to her dorm.”

 

 

“Okay I’ll wait for you here”

 

 

The two walked in silence until they reached Seohyun’s dorm entrance.

 

 

“Hyun oppa is really sorry he made you worried sick”

 

 

“It’s okay oppa”

 

 

“Don’t worry too much. Get some rest and I’ll see you next week”

 

 

“Good night oppa”

 

 

Yonghwa and his manager got home a little after 1 and found Jonghyun still up.

 

 

“Oh hyung just got home? How was the shoot?”

 

 

“It was fun. We had dinner with the staffs”

 

 

“Did Seohyun go with you?”

 

 

“Of course she did” and gave Jonghyun the most toothy smile ever.

 

 

“Is that so. I’ll go sleep then since you’re here already. Good night hyung”

 

 

Lee Jonghyun was a little pissed off with his hyungs’ smile. He was jealous alright. If only he had that freedom in seeing Seohyun like his Yonghwa hyung has.

 

 

Yonghwa was getting ready to go to bed. He was so elated the whole day because of what he discovered. Seohyun did care and she was constantly thinking of him. He doesn’t know why he likes that idea but it just made him so happy that even when he fell asleep he had a smile on his face.

 

 

Lee Jonghyun once in a while contacts Seohyun also. Mostly he calls her at night just to check how she was and what she was doing.

 

 

That night he called Seohyun to check up on her. He decided to invite her to their charity work tomorrow with the other members.

 

 

At first it was okay for Seohyun to answer Jonghyun’s calls. She never did mind talking to him because he was after all Yonghwa’s bandmate and she treats him like a friend. But she got comment from Hyoyeon that made her think otherwise.

 

 

“Maknae~ah who are you talking to?” Hyoyeon asked as they were getting ready to sleep.

 

 

“Wait a sec oppa. It’s Jonghyun oppa of CNBLUE unnie” Seohyun answered while covering the mouthpiece.

 

 

“Oh sincha? I thought all the while you were talking to Yonghwa”

 

 

Minutes passed and Seohyun continued talking to Jonghyun on the phone. After the two said their goodbyes Seohyun was shocked when Hyoyeon asked her.

 

 

“Why is Lee Jonghyun calling you?”

 

 

“We’re just talking unnie. He invited me to go with them for their charity work tomorrow.”

 

 

“Really? Does he often call you and does Yonghwa know about this”

 

 

“He just calls when he’s free. We’re just friends nothing wrong with that and maybe oppa also knows.”

 

 

“Just friends eh. He calls you once in awhile to check and you’re juts friends.”

 

 

“Eii unnie we’re just friends really. And it’s as if I’m Jonghyun oppas’ type”

 

 

“Seohyun when will you realize your beautiful?”

 

 

“Unnie I know I am but you are more beautiful.”

 

 

“I know right?”

 

 

And the two laughed at themselves because of their compliments.

 

 

“Anyways Hyun just be careful. Don’t put yourself in a situation where you have to choose.”

 

 

That got Seohyun thinking for the whole night. He likes her Yonghwa oppa. He’s sweet and he takes care of her a lot ever since the start of their show but she also likes how Jonghyun takes care of her in a way where he asks her whereabouts always.

 

 

She never liked a guy before. She was so focused in fulfilling her dream she forgot how a teenager should be in her age.

 

 

While all her classmates were busy studying and having dates after school she would always spend her free times practicing and training and for that discipline she was thankful.

 

 

But something changed. Since she started WGM she looked at the opposite in a way that she always finds her appa in them.

 

 

Seohyun adored her appa. She was a living witness with how her appa loved her mom so much that she wanted a guy who could be like that to her also but being in her situation now made a little confusion in her innocent mind.

 

 

She doesn’t want to assume anything towards Jonghyun’s action but how he always calls her and checks up on her made her feel important. Somewhat cherished. Yonghwa does the same thing but after he stopped contacting her for one month she was so devastated she had turn to Jonghyun for comfort.

 

 

She never received a call or even a text from Yonghwa for a month and when she noticed Jonghyun made time for her in calling she gave in. She knows it was somewhat strange that Yonghwa was her virtual husband yet she was having late night calls with his other bandmate. She was just being nice and friendly to Jonghyun but what if they will think of it the other way.

 

 

Seohyun had little sleep because of the JongHwa situation. Yes, she even named it after tossing around her bed last night.

 

 

She wanted them to be her friends. Someone she can have a chat when she was having a difficulty and someone whom she could share her happiness but she also doesn’t want to put a strain between their friendship because of mixed signals.

 

 

The following day all the boys woke up early to get ready for their charity works. They are visiting an orphanage to donate goods and spend time with the kids there. Everybody was comfortably seated in the company van when Yonghwa noticed something.

 

 

“Hey hyung I thought we are headed to the orphanage already this is not the way right?”

 

 

“We are going to fetch Seohyun first in their dorm before going there”

 

 

“Pick up Seohyun? She’s going with us? We don’t have WGM today right?”

 

 

“No Jonghyun said she invited Seohyun to go with you to the orphanage.”

 

 

All three gave a puzzled look at Lee Jonghyun who was looking out the window of the van.

 

 

“When did you ask her to go with us?”Yonghwa asked.

 

 

“Last night. She said she has no schedule and she likes helping other people so why not ask her.”

 

 

Yonghwa got furious and kept quiet the entire trip going to SNSD dorm while the 2 maknaes looked at Jonghyun in shock. Jungshin was in awe with his Jonghyun hyungs’ bold move in inviting Seohyun to go with them and Minhyuk who is still lost in what just occurred was a bit awkward. Why would his hyung ask Seohyun and is he really talking to Seohyun without his Yonghwa hyungs’ knowledge? Minhyuk still doesn’t know that Jonghyun likes Seohyun and he is trying to court her.

 

 

There was an awkward silence during the entire ride. Everybody kept quiet especially Jungshin who usually jokes around when they were on the way to their schedules. When they arrived Seohyun was already waiting for them outside the dorm. Jonghyun got out and fetched Seohyun himself.

 

 

“Annyeonghaseyo! Annyeonghaseyo Oppa!” Seohyun greeted when she got in the van

 

 

“Oh Hi Hyu~un” Yonghwa coldly answered.

 

 

Seohyun noticed the dark expression in Yonghwa’s face when he greeted her but she just let it pass thinking he had lack of sleep. The maknaes greeted Seohyun happily and she was seated between Yonghwa and Jonghyun. The situation got more awkward when Jonghyun talked to her more and Yonghwa just kept quiet. He answers when he was asked and returns to being silent after.

 

 

They arrived at the orphanage and immediately started the program. When they were giving away gifts Seohyun was still in between Jonghyun and Yonghwa. While Jonghyun is always ready to assist Seohyun Yonghwa became cold and lost his mood. The program finished and everybody was about to start their lunch when Yonghwa got back to his senses.

 

 

While Seohyun was sitting in the corner he offered in getting her lunch first before Jonghyun. When he got back Jonghyun arrived at the same time offering her lunch also. Seohyun was a bit hesitant on who’s lunch offer to grab but in the end she grabbed Yonghwa’s offer.

 

 

Yonghwa was so happy he smiled and sat at her side. They started eating their lunch and Jonghyun settled himself at the far side of the table. Jungshin smiled at his Jonghyun hyungs’ expression. Although he loved both hyungs he still was in favor of Yonghwa for Seohyun. Minhyuk on the other hand was eyeing Jungshin he was planning to ask him later because he knows the happy pill of their group for sure knows something.

 

 

At the end of the day Yonghwa spoke to Seohyun more often and Jonghyun got out of place. He was the one who invited Seohyun to go with them yet she was happier talking to Yonghwa. When they got home everybody was exhausted. Minhyuk and Jungshin fell asleep at the back of the van. Seohyun also was dozing off. She was after all tired from yesterdays’ shoot with Yonghwa and got a little sleep because she was talking to Jonghyun when she went home last night. She finally dozed off, head swinging from left to right. Jonghyun was hesitant on what to do. While thinking he was stunned of what happened next. Yonghwa grabbed Seohyun’s head and let her lean on his shoulders. Lee Jonghyun got angry and gave Yonghwa a stern look. Yonghwa on the other hand didn’t look at his side and he never got to see how Jonghyun was angry with his anction.

 

 

Yonghwa didn’t know he got the guts in doing what he did but he was happy he did it. Seohyun was comfortably sleeping while leaning on his shoulder and he had that elated feeling yet again.