Chapter 6

May the Best Man Wins

 

Seohyun was lying in her bed confused of why Yonghwa told her not to talk to Jonghyun especially when he is not around. They weren’t doing anything wrong right? Jonghyun was a constant caller. He was a friend whom she talks to unburden herself. He was constantly listening to her, making her laugh and sometimes even give her advice when it comes to music. She doesn’t see anything wrong with that so why would Yonghwa tell her to avoid talking to him.

 

Hyoyeon suddenly walked inside their room and she decided to confide to her about what’s bothering her.

 

“Unnie do you have a minute?” Seohyun asked

 

“Yes, maknae what is it?”Hyoyeon sat in her bed.

 

“Yonghwa oppa asked me not to talk to Jonghyun oppa”

 

“Wae, did he and Jonghyun fight?”

 

“Ani, he just asked me not to talk to him on the phone or anywhere especially when he’s not around”

 

“Oh…..”

 

Seohyun was puzzled with her unnies’ answer

 

“Why the oh? What’s the meaning of that?”

 

“Remember what I told you last time regarding Jonghyun calling you? That’s the oh.”

“What’s the matter if we’re talking? He’s oppa’s bandmate so he’s a friend. There’s nothing wrong with that.”

 

 

“For you there isn’t but for Yonghwa there is.”

 

 

“That’s the point unnie. Why is there a problem for oppa when I’m talking to Jonghyun oppa?”

 

 

“Oh maknae you really are innocent when it comes to this stuff. Your Yonghwa oppa is jealous.”

 

 

“Eii! Jealous of what? It’s just talking and he’s his band mate. Nothing wrong with that and it’s as if we really are dating we’re just a virtual couple.”

 

 

“Yes your right but your still a couple in the eyes of everybody. Virtual or not boys will always be jealous if they know the girl they are seeing is talking to a guy behind their back.”

 

 

“Behind his back? It’s as if I’m cheating on him.”

 

 

“It’s not like that. I know you’re just being friendly with Jonghyun. But haven’t you considered maybe Jonghyun has other motives of calling you. I noticed he calls you like every night and you do talk to him long at times.”

“Yes we do have long talks but it doesn’t mean anything. It’s just friends catching up with each other. It doesn’t mean anything.”

 

 

“For you it doesn’t but what about Jonghyun? How sure are you it doesn’t mean anything to him?”

 

 

Puzzled Seohyun fell silent for awhile.

 

“Maybe you should ask Jonghyun about it Seohyun to once and for all get a clear picture, at least from his side.”

 

 

“But wouldn’t it be presuming he’s into me when I ask him?”

 

 

“Just tell him the truth then. That Yonghwa doesn’t like you talking to him.”

 

 

“That would create a misunderstanding between them then.”

 

 

 

“Better be honest with Jonghyun. It would be unfair don’t you think? Tell him as a friend just be honest with him”

 

 

Seohyun chose not to answer Jonghyun’s call. Jonghyun was persistent he kept calling so Seohyun put her phone on silent mode and continued thinking. She doesn’t want to be rude to Jonghyun but she also doesn’t want Yonghwa to get angry with her. That night she decided not to speak to Jonghyun for a few days. She wants to settle the issue with Yonghwa first before facing Jonghyun and making a decision.

 


“Come to think of it we’re not even in a serious relationship and yet I’m thinking of not making Yonghwa angry because of my talking to Jonghyun” Seohyun thought.

 

 

“Ottoke? I don’t want to hurt Jonghyun oppa. I don’t like the feeling of not talking to him. As a matter of fact I like talking to him. He helps in easing my burdens. Just by listening to my whining especially when I feel pressured and sad I feel light hearted afterwards.”

 

 

She remembered how he listened for more than an hour to her when she was so upset with Yonghwa not talking to her. It was a little awkward at first because he’s his hyung but he was patient enough to make me laugh and forget my being mad at Yonghwa.

 

 

“Oppa your hyung is bad. Nappun namja!” Seohyun said

 

 

“Wae? What did he do?” Lee Jonghyun laughed upon hearing how Seohyun whines. Is it weird? He thinks it’s kinda cute. Seohyun doing an ageyo and unaware of it.

 

 

“Are you that busy? Did you know he hasn’t called me for 2 weeks already?”

 

 

“If we’re busy I won’t be able to call you right now Seohyun~ah”

 

 

“Exactly! That’s why I’m wondering why isn’t he calling me. Not even bothering to text me and ask if I’m okay or how am I. He usually does that after we exchanged number but that stopped after  we went fishing”

 

Jonghyun knew why he stopped calling. He was the reason why his Yonghwa hyung stopped calling Seohyun. It was that time he talked to Yonghwa about how he felt about Seohyun. But how can he tell Seohyun about it when he himself haven’t told her how he felt towards her.

 

 

“Maybe he’s just pre-occupied lately. Busy with promotions and music.” Jonghyun reasoned out.

 

 

“But you’re not busy. You make time calling me and checking up on me. He who is my virtual husband, who should do that, is not doing exactly what he should do. Arggh! I’m so pissed off right now and I don’t even know why”  Seohyun stomped her feet in frustration.

 

 

Jonghyun just laughed and found it cute but what she said caught his attention. He was a little guilty that he was actually the reason why Seohyun was frustrated.

 

 

“Seohyun~ah when the time comes you’ll know the real reason behind this mildang I hope you don’t get angry with oppa” Jonghyun said to himself. Hoping Seohyun will understand him but it saddens him that even though he was the one she’s talking to her mind is still with Yonghwa. Their topic is about Yonghwa and she was asking how is Yonghwa and what he was doing. He was gladly answering all of it. If that’s the only way he could still talk to her and hear her voice.

 

 

He was Lee Jonghyun, an ulzzang from Busan as what his friends always describe him. He’s exceptionally good in playing the guitars. He’s good in Judo and he’s even more good in getting the girls he like but with Seohyun all of this seems like not good enough because all she sees is Yonghwa. All she talks about is Yonghwa and all her concerns are towards Yonghwa’s well being. The only girl he thought he could get into a serious relationship with is actually the girl he can’t have but he’s not giving up as long as she’s not in a relationship with his Yonghwa hyung or to any guy at that he wouldn’t lose hope in  catching her attention and wooing her heart.

 

 

“Oppa? Jonghyun Oppa are you still there?”

 

 

“Deh? Ah yes I’m still here waiting.” Jonghyun answered. Yes he will wait patiently for her even if it will take awhile if it’s the only way he can be close to her.

 

 

“Oppa do you know why he isn’t talking to me? Did I do something wrong to him?”

 

 

“You should ask hyung about that Seohyun~ah. I don’t have the right to answer in behalf of him. I might be giving you a wrong answer and you may misunderstand him if ever.”

 

 

“I know oppa but I can’t seem to remember any fault I have done against him”

 

Seohyun asked Jonghyun things they did that day, their upcoming schedules and other stuffs concerning Yonghwa and Jonghyun gladly answered. What she didn’t know was how Jonghyun hurting and feeling jealous of towards the person they were talking about.

 

 

“Oppa I’m sorry for being childish I’m only talking about myself and my concerns. How are you anyway? Aren’t you tired? Are you taking your medicines?” Seohyun asked Jonghyun

 

 

“Finally! I’m the topic” Jonghyun laughingly answered.

 

 

“Oppa!”

 

 

Jonghyun laughed at the other line like there was no tomorrow.

in c

 

“ottoke. What will I do with you Seo Joo Hyun? Ah~ kyeopta!”

 

 

“Waeyo oppa?”

 

 

“Nevermind.  Yes ma’am I’m eating well and drinking the medicines you gave me. Gomowo Seohyun~ah. Thank you for taking care of oppa.”