Chapter 2

May the Best Man Wins

 

Chapter 2

 

 

“You told hyung?!”
 

Jungshin couldn’t believe what he just heard. He knows how Jonghyun is straight forward about things but this was Seohyun they were talking about and she is filming WGM with their hyung, the hyung whom Lee Jonghyun looks up to and has respect when it comes to decision making and music.
 

“I told him last night. I asked if it was okay for me to court Seohyun and he said yes”
 

“Chincha?! He said that?! Heol!”
 

“Why? What’s wrong with that?”

“What’s wrong is that you’re in love with the same girl”

“Didn’t you hear what I just said? It’s okay for me to court Seohyun and I got hyung’s permission already. He also said Seohyun is more a friend to him so what’s the problem with that?”
 

“Aish! This is big trouble. I thought it was a simple misunderstanding about music but its worst.”
 

“What is your problem? It’s okay. I got hyung’s permission why make a fuss out of it.”
 

“Did you honestly believe hyung doesn’t like hyungsoonim? ”
 

“Yes, he told me himself, besides that’s the reason why I asked him first if he liked Seohyun because if he does I’ll back off.”
 

“ Yeah right! The high and mighty Lee Jonghyun will back off when it comes to someone he fancy. Why am I not buying it?”
 

“Whatever! I already asked hyung about it and he’s okay with it. Now if you have nothing to say get out of my room coz I’m tired and I want to sleep already”
 

“Okay fine. I just hope this doesn’t affect our group”
 

Jungshin left Jonghyun’s room defeated. He can’t believe this is happening and their group just debuted. He knows Yonghwa was lying when he told Jonghyun he doesn’t like Seohyun, he can see it in his eyes and also his actions. These past few days there is a change in him that Jungshin can see. He’s all smiles after their WGM shoot when he arrives at their dorm. All he talks about is how Seohyun is so prim and proper, how she is graceful and kind, a musical genius, smart but also funny and how she is fond of Keroro dolls. He’s even hands on when he planned their double birthday celebration.

Seohyun has this effect in his hyung that he himself is amazed. Sometimes he could catch a glimpse of his hyung laughing on his own especially when Seohyun’s name is mentioned.
 

Meanwhile on the other room Yonghwa was lying on his bed when Minhyuk entered his room.
 

“Hey hyung have a minute?”
 

“Huh? Yeah what is it?”
 

Minhyuk sat on Yonghwa’s bed and waited for awhile before talking.
 

“Hyung are you okay? Is everything alright?”
 

“Yeah, I’m fine what made you think I’m not?”
 

“Well you made a lot of mistakes when we were practicing and you barely talked to us which is unusual.”
 

“oh yeah? I just had a lot of things in my mind. I was kinda distracted so mian.”
 

“its fine hyung really but if you have something that bugs you, you know you can talk to us right.”
 

“No it’s okay it’s just petty things nothing to worry about.”
 

“Okay, you must be tired so I’ll leave you to get some rest”
 

“Thanks Minhyuk~ah and good night”
 

When Minhyuk left Yonghwa was left staring at the ceiling. He keeps replaying last night’s event. These past few days he was busy with everything. His schedule was full. He had practice for overseas shows, guestings and he has WGM with Seohyun.

Exhausted with a full packed schedule yet when he shoots with Seohyun he enjoys it even looking forward to their weekly meet ups. The most memorable so far was their mission in getting a driver’s license.

They had to pass an exam both written and practical. They passed the written but unfortunately they also both failed the practical but what made it memorable was their picnic in the park.

He and Seohyun had a little bet and whoever gets a higher score than the other can have a wish for the loser to grant.
 

He was always bothered by Seohyun’s formality with everybody including him so he decided to ask Seohyun to start using Banmal to him if ever he won the bet. Seohyun of course had a weird wish. She wanted to see him dance to Genie in their costume. Although he knows the steps to Genie, who wouldn’t it was after all an All-Kill song of SNSD, but he didn’t have a talent in dancing.

When they had an impromptu dance lesson one time with her they had a good laugh at themselves as they were lousy dancers, the reason why they sticked with playing instruments instead of being dancing idols. What made her wish more weird is that she wanted to see him dancing in their sailor costume wearing hot pants. It was the death of him when she personally prepared the costume that he will use.

He got a good laugh from Jungshin. He was so hesitant in going out of the CR after changing in his costume but he did anyways. A bet was a bet afterall. He was a Busan namja and a Busan namja is a man of his word. He went out and got back to their picnic area and upon seeing him Seohyun and Hyoyeon laughed so hard. It was embarrassing but it was also worth it you know why? He saw the spark in Seohyun’s eyes. He knew she was so devastated when they failed their practical and it was seen in her face but at that time when he performed his chicken dance as what Seohyun called it he thought all the embarrassment was worth it. Seohyun was all smiles during the performance that momentarily she forgot they failed.
 

He was in the middle of composing and at the same time planning for an event for Seohyun’s upcoming birthday when Jonghyun went inside his room and they had that TALK. The talk that made him question a lot of things. He likes Seohyun as she is, beautiful, smart and kind but the bigger question is does he like her more for him to pursue her? He was a rookie in the business. Although it was okay for them to date as long as they will not get caught still their schedule doesn’t give them the time to do so. When WGM was offered to him he didn’t have any hesitations for it will be a big help in promoting their group.

It was all work as what he told his bandmates when they about it but now he begins to question if it really was still business for him. As time pass he begun to look forward in their meetings and now he even has an event planned for her for her birthday.
 

He was caught off guard by Jonghyun’s question. He knew Jonghyun liked Seohyun but not to the extent of courting her. Not knowing his own feelings he told Jonghyun that it was okay for him to court her but right now he’s beginning to question himself about it. Does he like Seohyun as a friend or more than that.
 

In the next days they were busy doing their scheduled appearance in Korea and overseas that they forgot about the incident. Yonghwa didn’t forget his planned event for Seohyun. He already asked his manager hyung for help in getting that goguma farmland and also the necklace he was to give to her and her mom.
 

On the 29th of June a day after her birthday they met each other and celebrated their birthdays. Seohyun was a little upset because he didn’t bother answering her text when she greeted him and also what was worst was that he forgot to greet her on the day of her birthday.

It was the same day as Minhyuk’s birthday that there was no way he would forget it. They had a full packed schedule that day that it slipped his mind to greet her. He explained it to Seohyun, though still a little upset she was happy with the surprise he had.

Seohyun was very proud of her love for gogumas and what better gift to give her than those gogumas she loved. They had to plant gogumas in 2 rows of land he rented and as another surprise for her he bought a pair of necklace for her and her mom whom he never met yet. He placed the necklace at the end of the row she’s plating on. When she found it she was all smiles and read the letter he gave with it. After eating a sumptuous lunch and taking a rest they decided to go fishing and their something magical happened.
 

They were patiently waiting to catch a fish when Seohyun asked him to get a repellant for there were mosquitoes surrounding them. He gladly got up and bought some that he had no idea he was in for a surprise. When he returned Seohyun sang Love Light with a little pink guitar in hand and wearing that funny looking mask. He got shocked upon seeing that Hyun Señorita mask but was all smiles when he heard her sing Love Light and play the guitar.

Was this the Seohyun he knew? The Seohyun who was always shy and timid when it comes to being the center of attention? He asked her to sing it again this time without the mask and she hesitantly did it. While she was singing she didn’t notice how Yonghwa was looking at her. His eyes were sparkling and he was mesmerized. He didn’t know Seohyun has this side of her. She was always shy but today he was so happy of her surprise performance for him. And of all the songs she chose to sing Love Light. That song has a history and that history included her in it.

After her performance he can’t contain his happiness that he teased Seohyun about her performance. She said she had another thing to give him and that it was an important story book. The story book contained their story. How they met up and the things they have done together so far and at the end of the book there was their couple ring.

They were all smiles after they each wore their new couple ring when Seohyun asked him about how Love Light was composed and then he told him the history of that song.
 

Love Light was an old melody he had but still no lyrics was put into it. He started to write the lyrics after meeting Seohyun for their WGM. He was so amazed by her personality that he can’t help but think of her every time without him noticing it. Until one nigh,t after their impromptu dance lesson with her, he was still up that he decided to put lyrics into Love Light’s melody.

It had a rap part saying he was her genie and he got a lot of teasing from Jungshin after he presented it to the group. He was inspired that’s what he said that earned a cringe from the maknaes and a little smirk from Jonghyun.
 

They held hands. That’s the highlight of the night. After 6 months of seeing each other they finally held hands. They didn’t catch any fish yet somehow they caught each other’s heart.
 

That night when he got home the maknaes were waiting for him. They were watching TV when he arrived. He was all smiles when they asked him what happened to their celebration.
 

“Hyung tell us what happened. Did she like the necklace?” Jungshin asked
 

“I don’t know. I didn’t ask her”
 

“Of course she liked it; she was just wouldn't tell you hyung.” Minhyuk answered instead
 

“Then what did you do? What did she give you?”
 

“Just watch the show okay for sure they will show it there”
 

“But hyung that would be edited not all the juicy details are shown”
 

“Watch the show then after I’ll fill you in with what was edited. Satisfied?”
 

“Yes! For now we will let you go hyung. Come on Minhyukie let’s sleep”
 

The maknaes went inside their room as well as Yonghwa but after a few minutes Jonghyun went into Yonghwa’s room.
 

“Hyung got a minute?”
 

“Uh Jonghyunnie what’s up”
 

“Uhmm hyung can I ask for Seohyun’s number?”
 

Yonghwa was speechless for awhile.
 

“What for, why do you need her number”
 

“I just want to text her”
 

“Do you need to ask her something? I’ll text her for you.”
 

“No it’s nothing important I just want to be friends with her”
 

“You’re friends with her aren’t you why text her still”
 

Yonghwa and Jonghyun stared at each other for awhile but before things got out of hand Jonghyun apologized.

“I guess I’ll just ask her myself then”

“Yes do that I’m not the right person to give out her number”
 

“Sorry hyung”
 

Jonghyun got out of the room and went to bed straight. Yonghwa on the other hand was frustrated. Why did he act like that? He never raised his voice against Jonghyun. If things can be talked out they always do that but tonight he just saw red when Jonghyun asked for Seohyun’s number. Although it was true he doesn’t have the right to give away Joohyun’s number but aside from that he just didn’t feel like giving Jonghyun her number.

He didn’t know why but he really doesn’t want Jonghyun to have Seohyun’s number. They have nothing to talk about. They don’t even have something in common aside from being in the business.

What a way to end that day. He was so happy all day after that event with Seohyun but Jonghyun asking for her number blew all that away. His happiness with her was ruined by Lee Jonghyun asking for her number.

He could not fathom why he was so angry with it. He seldom got angry especially with Jonghyun because they were close like brothers and both were from Busan.

He fell asleep angry that the next day he forgot his ritual in texting Seohyun good morning.
 

Days passed without him sending her messages checking up on her. He didn’t even bothered calling her which he does on a weekly basis. He did that to know her more and ask her about her schedule but because of that incident he refrained from contacting her.
 

Yonghwa had no idea Jonghyun already got Seohyun’s number. He got it from their manager hyung. The company doesn’t allow them to have their own phones yet so Jonghyun uses their manager’s phone to call Seohyun.
 

“Yoboseyo”
 

“Annyeong Seohyun~ah. This is Jonghyun oppa”
 

“Oh annyeong Oppa! How are you?”
 

“I’m okay. How about you? Is it okay for me to talk to you right now?”
 

“Yes, we just finished practicing for a show”
 

“Maybe you’re tired. I was just trying my luck in contacting you”
 

“It’s okay. How is everybody? How is Yonghwa oppa?”
 

“He’s already asleep. Why you didn’t talk?”
 

“uhmm.. No since the last time we saw each other. Maybe you were too busy so it’s okay”
 

Jonghyun was surprised they haven’t talked in almost 3 weeks now. So he grabbed the chance and updated himself with Seohyun.
 

They talked about their schedules and other stuffs for almost an hour. Seohyun didn’t know Jonghyun had a funny side in him that she laughed at his jokes while they were on the phone talking.
 

Jonghyun was on the phone in their living room when Yonghwa went out to get some water. He didn’t asked who Jonghyun was talking too but was so curious because its like he’s flirting with the person on the other line.

While drinking he overheard who Jonghyun was talking too that he got choked up spitting the water he was drinking.
 

“Seohyun~ah go to sleep already. Your tired already.”
 

Yonghwa immediately walked back into his room and slammed the door that surprised Jonghyun.

Seohyun heard the sound that she got nervous and asked.
 

“Oppa what was that? Did something fell?”
 

“Ani I left a door open and got closed by a STRONG wind. Don’t worry everything is fine.”
 

“Is that so?”Seohyun answered yawning.
 

“I probably should hang up the phone right now and let you sleep. Sorry for holding you up to with your rest time.”
 

“No its okay oppa it was nice talking to you.”
 

“Good Night Hyun. Have a good rest”
 

“You too Oppa. Send my regards to Minhyuk and Jungshin Chingu.”
 

“Yes I will do that”
 

They hang up but it didn’t go unnoticed that Seohyun didn’t mention Yonghwa. Jonghyun feels something was up between the two. He also remembered how Yonghwa slammed his door upon hearing him mention her name.

He deliberately did it to check if what Jungshin told him was true and basing in his reaction his hyung indeed has feelings for Seohyun also he just doesn’t know it yet or maybe he does but doesn’t acknowledge it.

Good thing he started talking to Seohyun tonight it gave him an edge atleast for him to get to know Seohyun more and make her at ease with him before asking her out in the future. He slept with a smile on his face.
 

Meanwhile on the other room someone was still up tossing and turning on his bed. He can’t believe Seohyon was talking on the phone with Jonghyun. He was cunning alright. Using manager hyung’s phone to get her number and eventually call her.
 

“Aish! Why am I angry? It was my fault after all right? I told him I didn’t like her the way he likes her then why am I angry when he was talking to her on the phone? Aish!”
 

Yonghwa fell asleep thinking about his feelings. It was foreign. He began to question himself if what he did was right. He didn’t have any hold when it comes to Seohyun. They are not dating for goodness sake but why was he acting up like a jealous boyfriend. And in all fairness to Jonghyun he did ask him first if he likes Seohyun in which he answered he likes her as a friend only even pertaining to her as a little sister.

Did he really liked Seohyun only as a friend, but why did he feel something when he first held her hand. Too much thinking made him exhausted that night but still there were no answers revealed.

 

 

Please bear with me as this is the first time I am writing a fanfic. I will try my best to update. Thank you for reading