Chapter 3

May the Best Man Wins

 

After almost a month Yonghwa got a call from the producer of WGM. They were updating about the two of them. Upon knowing that both of them had no schedules the next day they had a shoot for another episode. Yonghwa asked the staff of Seohyun’s whereabouts tomorrow and he was told she was having a salon appointment; surprisingly they go to the same salon so he planned on meeting her there without her knowing.

 

The next morning Yonghwa got up early to meet Seohyun. His manager drove for him to the salon and went back to their dorm. Jonghyun just woke up and went to the kitchen when their manager hyung aarived.

 

“Hyung where did you go? We don’t have any schedules today why wake up early?”
 

“I sent Yonghwa to the salon”

 

“I should have gone with hyung. I need a haircut too”

 

“Yonghwa went there to shoot for WGM with Seohyun”

 

Upon hearing that Jonghyun’s face became gloomy.

 

“Is that right? So are they shooting the whole day together?”
 

“Yeah I heard Seohyun’s free for today too and they’ll have dinner later with the staffs”

 

Lee Jonghyun was in a bad mood all day. It was unreasonable he knows, because the two were there for a shoot but something was bothering him and he remembered his hyungs’ reaction when he was talking to Seohyun on the phone the last time.

Back at the salon when Yonghwa arrived Seohyun already had her hair shampooed and upon seeing him the salon staffs were all giddy but he signaled them to be quiet and let him do the rinsing of Seohyun’s hair.

 

He rinsed Seohyun’s hair carefully for her not to notice him. He signaled the staff to come closer and whispered to her to ask if she ate already and what she had.

 

“Yes I had Bibimbap and a stew”

 

“Really”

 

Yonghwa replied that got Seohyun shocked.

 

“Oh Hi! What are you doing?”

 

“You can take over now” Yonghwa told the staff


“That was why I was thinking the staff was being too careful rinsing my hair.”

 

But before Yonghwa can answer he was already called for his shampoo to be done. Seohyun on the other hand was sent back to sit to style her hair.

 

She was bit uneasy and awkward. It was a month since they last saw each other let alone talked to each other. She was confused about what happened. After they had that trip for their birthday celebration Yonghwa never called her again. She thought they were okay and are more closer, they even held hands already. She even bragged to her unnies about it when she came home after their trip. But the next few days after that she didn’t received her daily text of good morning from him let alone the calls he gave him when he had a free time.

 

They were constantly communicating when they started shooting the show and she was happy about that. She can tell her oppa was trying to get close to her and understands where she’s coming from.

 

She was just 19 when they started the show and knowing that she had a shy personality Yonghwa did his best to accommodate that and get to know her better. As time pass she let loose and eventually opened up to Yonghwa. She even prepares snacks to give to him when they meet for him to be more healthy coz she knows how hard it is to stay healthy in their kind of work.

 

She was ecstatic and giddy as what her unnies say to her whenever she comes home after meeting Yonghwa. She raps animatedly in telling them stories about their “date” and how Yonghwa was funny, how Yonghwa was accommodating.

 

“Yonghwa was this, Yonghwa was that. Really maknae are you two dating already?” as what Taeyon unnie told her one time

 

“Atleast you never hear her sing all their songs daily and before going to bed. Especially Love Light. I had to endure sleepless nights when she was practicing that song” Hyoyeon told the girls.

 

“Unnie!”

 

All the girls laughed at how cute Seohyun was when she was being teased to Yonghwa but deep down they were really glad she met Yonghwa.

 

Seohyun was their beloved makane. She started to be a trainee too young that she didn’t get to enjoy her life being a kid. And as an only daughter she found a family with her Soshi unnies. They were together for so many years that they know how to deal with each other’s attitudes.

 

She told her unnies what happened during their birthday trip. She showed to them the couple necklace he gave her and her mom and also the 2 rows of goguma land he rented. They were impressed as usual as how Yonghwa was being creative and also sensible in giving their maknae gifts. She told them that they had a sumptuous lunch and afterwards went to go fishing.

“So what happened to your Love Light performance? Did he like it?” Hyoyeon asked

 

“You sang for him? That’s a first” Sica commented.

 

“But I’m a singer by profession of course I sang for him”

 

“Yeah but you sing only when we are in practice or have a concert. With a different crowd especially outside Soshi you never sing. You always get shy.” Her Yuri unnie pointed.

 

Seohyun pouted as she realizes it was true that earned her a loud laugh from her 8 unnies. She never did sing and do impromptus because she was shy but with Yonghwa she’s different.

 

“What else happened? What did you talked about” Yoona excitedly asked.

 

“I asked him something about Love Light and after fishing he held my hand”

 

“kyaaaaaaaah!!!!!” the soshi girls went chaotic.

 

“HUMAYGAWD!!! Maknae is in love!” her Sooyoung unnie was flabbergasted.

 

“In love?! We just held each others’ hand “

 

Her unnies were all ears when she continued her story about their date. The next day she was all smiles as she awaits Yonghwa’s good morning but up till the afternoon none came. This continued for a few days and it turned into weeks of no call or text from him that it got her worried. She wanted to ask their manager if everything was fine but she was too shy to do it. After more than 3 weeks of no communication, she was sitting in a corner of their dressing room when her Taeyon unnie approached her.

“Seohyun~ah kenchana?”

 

“Deh”

 

“Your spacing out maknae. Is everything alright?”

 

“Yes unnie I was just thinking about Yonghwa oppa. He hadn’t contacted me since our birthday shoot”

 

“Huh?! Why? Is he alright? Maybe he’s just a little busy”

 

“I was thinking the same thing actually”

 

“Awww… you just miss him maybe”

 

“Ehhh?!”

 

“Uri maknae misses her Yong nampyeon”

 

Everybody in the dressing room heard what Taeyon said that they started teasing her. She hadn’t told them yet about her midnight calls from Jonghyun. She was a little shy in telling them that she gets calls at night from Jonghyun. Seohyun is a little upset because Yonghwa hadn’t tried calling her when Jonghyun can.

 

When Yonghwa returned after he had his shampoo the atmosphere got a little awkward. The silence was deafening when finally someone spoke up.

 

“Did you get home safely?” Yonghwa asked.

Seohyun looked at Yonghwa with a sarcastic smile.

 

“Yes, how about you?”

 

“I arrived safely as well”

 

“I’m upset”

 

“Why?”

 

“You know why”

 

The staff continued their work yet they can feel the tension building between Yonghwa and Seohyun.

 

“Do you have something to say to me?” Seohyun asked.

 

“No. What should I tell you?”

 

The crew knew something was up so they stopped filming and let the two finish. Their hair was done and they were assisted to go at the back of the salon to talk. It was a little awkward for a few minutes. They were silent and no one said a word. Thinking to get this over with and start shooting again. Seohyun said her piece.

 

‘Oppa you didn’t call me or even texted me when we parted ways last month. I was so worried about you. I was about to call your manager and asked about how you were doing but didn’t had the guts to do so because I was thinking you were too busy but what made me upset the most was I got a call from Jonghyun oppa one night and it got me thinking. Jonghyun oppa had the time to call me yet my own virtual husband didn’t”

Yonghwa was astonished with what Seohyun had said. He didn’t realized up to what extent he had done the damage between him and Seohyun just because he was confused with what he feels.

 

“Seohyun~ah oppa is sorry he made you worried. “

 

Yonghwa didn’t finish talking because a crew entered the room.

 

“We are shooting again. Please be prepared.”

 

“Deh!” both answered.

 

The camera rolled.

 

“I was upset can you explain yourself.”

 

“I did that because I wanted you to miss me. I wanted for you to think of me more”

 

“What?! Really! You’re being ridiculous.”

 

“You missed me right? My plan worked.”

 

Yonghwa found a reason, a scapegoat. He was able to mask what really happened. It was good though coz he knew Seohyun thought of him and was even worried about him. Yonghwa had a wide smile and went with the flow.

 

1:1 Busan boys are even and Yonghwa was happy with the way things turned out. He still questions himself with what he truly feels toward Seohyun yet knowing that Seohyun was thinking of him and was worried about him not calling her made him happy he had his toothy smile.