An Opportunity

love shouldn't be this hard

Taeyeon dropped me off around the corner from our building as not to get spotted by any fans.

'Thanks again Taeyeon.'

'Just be careful Bobby, don't make me worry about you.'

'Same time next week?' I smirked, I must have been still a little tipsy to pluck up the courage to say that. She hit me on the arm laughing. She handed me my wallet which I had left in the car and we said our goodbyes, then I made my way to the dorm.

I checked my wallet to see if I had lost anything and turned my phone on to find numerous calls and texts, but they were not what I was most interested in. I small note fell from my wallet, I smiled widely when I realised what it was. It was her phone number, she must have slipped it in when I wasn't looking.

I wasn't happy for too long as I reached my dorm.

'Where have you been?!' 'What happened?' 'We thought you'd flew back to England!'

I was hit with a million questions, followed by hugs and arm hits. I began to apologise however was interrupted by a unexpected visitor; my instructor Youngmin. He was for sure here to tell me to pack my bags and leave I thought.

'Bobby, can I talk to you in private.'

The boys promptly scattered into different rooms, giving me sympathetic looks. I bowed deeply and began my apology.

'I sincerely apologise..'

'Bobby, listen. I was wrong. What I said was disrespectful and foolish. I said it out of frustration and regret my words completely.'

I was in shock, this is not how I thought this would go. I heard gasps from the cracks in the doors, obviously the other boys were listening.

'However, you're reaction cannot be left unpunished. I've spoken to your manager and we've agreed upon a 4 week suspension from group training sessions and a tighter curfew, not to mention cleaning duty and an allowance cut.'

I sighed however my punishment seemed fair considering I thought for sure I was out of SM. He shook my hand as I bowed before leaving. There was a moment of silence before Tom, and the 4 others boys came bouncing out their rooms.

Taeyong: 'Damn, you hit a teacher! I've never heard of anyone doing that before!'

Jinwoo: 'You're so lucky, I'm so glad they didn't kick you out'

Minwoo: 'And where the hell did you go last night?! Everyone was worried sick.'

As much as I wanted to tell them and shout it from the roof tops, I knew it would be easier just to keep last night a secret, at least for now. No one would believe me anyway, I'm not sure I believed it either. I said I stayed at Kyungsoo's house.

Things soon went back to normal after that day. At first at the training building, I would catch people staring like they had just got caught talking about me but they lost interested after a while. I got back into the same routine, going to school, training and then sleeping. However, one thing was most definitely different.

It took me a while to text Taeyeon after she had given me her number. I wasn't trying to play it cool it's just, I didn't know what to say.

'Hello Tae, remember me?' - No, too casual.

'What's up girl?' - That's way too greesy, or maybe....

'Hey Taeyeon, I know this is going to sound totally crazy but I thing I'm in love with you. I can't stop thinking about you and I want us to get married and have one boy and one girl and a dog called Spice.' - I think this one might just get me arrested.

After some debate, I went with the classic;

'Hey, how'se your day going? This is Bobby by the way :)'

It didn't take too long to get a reply.

'Hey you, it's going great thank you, how about yours?'

We traded small talk for a while, gradually becoming more friendly with each text. I felt a smile cross my face every time I seen her name crossed my screen. I felt like I was in high school again, flirting with my crush. We texted each other almost daily, we talked about everything and nothing, it became the highlight of my day.

We rarely met in real life however, she was obviously very busy. I wanted to get to know her more but I didn't have the courage to ask her out just the two of us. Like she would even say yes. But I was in luck.

I had been training for a good number of months now, I was well known and had improved greatly during my time at SM. Every now and then trainees can get the chance to get in the public eye and showcase their talent. We had been told SM were planning to release a new group soon therefore these chances were very important.

One day, the head of the trainees, Junyoung, called a meeting with all the male trainees.

'Gather round everyone. So today I wanted to discuss with you a great opportunity that has arised. As you may or may not know, your sunbaes TaeTiSeo are releasing a new album in the next couple of months and they need 3 boys to be the main characters in their new music video.'

We all looked around in excitement, the thought of working with TaeTiSeo was unbelievable!

'But first, those interested will have to audition. Let's not waste time, those who want to participate come forward next to me.' There was nervous silence before the first boy stood up, Jimin. He had been at the company for years, he was a little older than most trainees but he had the skills to show for it. He was handsome, an amazing dancer and not to mention extremely arrogant. A couple more went forward, but not too many.

I wanted to prove myself and show my peers how much I had learnt, to sort of thank them for working with me and making me feel part of the family. Not only this, but the thought of working with Taeyeon made me even more excited. In that moment, I shot up and made my way to the front. I was surprised to see Tom follow shortly after me, I guess he had been at the company for a while and wanted to show them he was ready to debut.

'No one else? alright then. The little information we can give you about the MV is that there is a solo dance performance in the middle which one of you lucky boys will participate in. You each have a minute or so to perform a freestyle dance in front of everyone here and now, then me and the other staff members will decide the three winners and the winner of the solo. Go it?'

We nodded and bowed. Some boys seemed to regret standing up but it was too late now. We went in the order we were stood in. Boy after boy, a generic hip hop track played and they danced their hearts out. Some were better than others; Jimin was a clear favourite.

Tom was next. I gave him a supportive cheer and he began. He was amazing, you could tell he had been at the company for a while now, he had charisma and energy. This made me even more nervous than I was before. But I had to at least try.

Tom's time was up. He took his place next to me, sweating and breathing heavy. I was last up and I took my spot in the middle of the studio and the track played. I moved stiff and robotic at first, struggling to keep time with the music. I caught a glance at Junyoung's face, he was not impressed. It was time to step it up a notch so I did what I was most confident doing; flipping and tricking. I lunged myself into the air, flipping and twisting, earning a few cheers from my peers. I finished big, break dancing and ending fist on the ground and legs spread in the air, it went down a hit.

I felt confident, but it was anyone guess.

'Very impressive boys, what a high standard of talent we have! Us judges will need time to discuss the results however we will inform the golden three by phone after you've finished you're days training.'

The rest of the day ground to a halt, time seemed to slow to a crawl. I couldn't concentrate in my other lessons, I was a nervous wreck.  When I finally made it back to the dorm, I couldn't keep my hands of my phone waiting for that call. By then I got a text.

Taeyeon: 'Congratulations! My manager just told me, you're going to be in our MV! Don't worry, I won't work you too hard ;)'

Wait, I haven't heard anything yet? How does she know.... WAIT OMG DOES THIS MEAN I GOT IT!

My phone rang. It was my manager.

'Congratulations! You made it, you are one of the three.' I was beyond happy, I was flooded with emotions, mostly excitement and nerves.

'The judges couldn't make up their minds who would best be suited to the lead male role, therefore you will all perform the routine and the one that best suits the MV will be used.' This was a little disappointing however at least I now had a second chance to impress my peers.

'Wait, hyung, do you mind telling me who else got picked?'

'You'll be pleased to hear your partner in crime Tom also got picked.' I was ecstatic! How awesome would this be, my first time being in an MV and it would be with my best friend. My excitement lasted only momentarily...

'And of course, Jimin was also picked, but I suppose that comes as no surprise, he is the most experienced.'

It's not that I didn't like Jimin, it's just he didn't much like anyone. Trying to talk to him was like talking to a brick wall, he wasn't interested. He acted as if he was a top celebrity already, looking down at most people around him and he hadn't even debut yet.

My manager gave me the details of the scheduled practices before the actual filming and hung up.