My First Day

love shouldn't be this hard

*Bobby's first day at SM Entertainment after being accepted*

'Look how amazing it is, didn't I tell you! I can't believe you're finally here!'

'Yeah, neither can I'

Tom, my best friend since childhood, led me to the front of the SM Building, he was right, it was amazing in every way.

'Come on, why are you always so nervous!'

'It's just a lot to take in'

My stomach was in bits, I couldn't sleep at all last night and it felt like my eyes were going to fall out my head. What if I wasn't good enough? What if no one liked me? What if I failed? You hear so many stories about trainees and how hard their life is, is this really what I want?

'Want a drink? Wait here, the shop's only across the road'

As he ran across the street, I managed to shout 'coffee please!' before he went inside. I think he heard me, the whole street did.

Just then I heard a noise behind me, I turned around to find a middle aged lady struggling with her bags and coffee. Then the inevitable happened, she drops all her stuff over the path, including the coffee. I rushed over and started collecting her scattered items, all I heard was repeated 'thank you' and 'you're too kind'.

'It's alright, honestly. It's no trouble.'

Tom arrived, one bubble tea and my coffee in his hand. Feeling bad about the fact she spilt her coffee everywhere, I offered the lady my coffee to replace hers. She at first refused but after a while I managed to convince her with my million dollar smile and charm.

'I want you to have it, I don't need any more coffee, I heard it stunts your growth and I need all the growth I can get.' We both laughed.

We chatted for a short time after that, she asked where I was from and why I was so kind. I told her I was from England and that I was brought up by my mother who was an amazing women.

'Goodbye young man, I hope to see you again!'

'Nice to meet you, see you soon'

'Always making friend eh?' Tom chimed in.

'Wait, what time is it? BOBBY! WE'RE LATE, QUICK COME ON!'

He grabbed my arm and we sprinted to the front door, luckily Tom is well known around SM and we were let through the door without any issues!

We may have been running fast however I still noticed the crowds of fans outside the building, that must mean one of the idols groups are here. I got more nervous. I have never met a celebrity, what if they were horrible or rude, what if I say the wrong thing? Arrggg so much to think about, it's driving me mad!

We finally made it to the dance practice room, all eyes were on us.

'Sorry we're late'

We said in unison, almost like we has said it a million times, most likely because we had. Every time I got in trouble, Tom would be stood there right beside me. We bowed deeply and sheepishly looked around the room.

There was a quiet giggle throughout the room, however it was clear there was something important going on. As we began to take our places at the back, I heard a deep voice directed to me.

'Late on the first day, you're not going to turn into the second Thomas Kim are you?'.

Tom was a known bad boy. Always late and talking back, but everyone loved him. I was more mature, however always got in trouble. I can't help myself, trouble always seems to find me.

I pulled a face of disguised jokingly followed by 'I hope not' in a quiet tone.

I earned a small laugh from the man and smiles from the trainees and staff around the room, while Tom nudged me in the arm.

The man continued 'This is our new trainee, Bobby Lee, he's from England' All eyes were on me, I awkwardly bowed and said hello. 'He will be living with you boys so take good care of him'. He gestured to a group of boys to my left and we shared warm smiles.

The man spoke again 'As I was saying, we are in the first steps of preparing to debut a new boy band.' The news earned a few signs from some of the girl trainees.

'Sorry girls, it'll be your turn soon after so keep working hard, alright?'

'Boys, your training from now on with be even more strenuous. You will be being constantly reviewed to judge your progress and improvements. Remember, everything you do from now on will impact whether you debut this coming year, so please, try your best.'

Man, this is pretty intense. I looked around the room, there were a lot of male trainees, obviously not everyone can debut. Must be hard being rivals as well as friends. Good thing I don't have to worry about any of this yet, I mean, if they are planning to debut soon, there is no way I will make the final cut since I've only just arrived.

'I've wasted enough of your time, you're all dismissed.'

The man lowered his head slightly and began to leave, all staff and trainees bowed deeply to him before he departed.

'Tom, who is that? I didn't catch his name.'

'He's head of the trainees, Junyoung. He's very high up, this is only one of the few times I've seen him, apart from that one time I got caught sneaking out.' We laughed.

'Basically, if you want to debut before you're too old to dance anymore, he needs to like you.'

I received my training schedule on a previous occasion. We had dance practice now, followed by singing, Chinese and variety up until late.

After a long and hard dance practice, I began making my way to my one on one singing lessons. To be honest, it was my acrobatic skills that got me into SM and I had never really sang to much before, so I wasn't sure whether I was any good at it. I guess we were about to find out.

'Annyeonghaseyo, I'm Bobby Lee. I'm here for my singing lesson.'

After getting acquainted with the teacher, he suggested I choose any song I felt suited my voice and sing it into the recording mic. I started to get nervous. I went into the recording booth and heard a voice overhead.

'Whenever you are ready Bobby, just sing. It can be any song, just make it meaningful, people tend to sing better if the song means something to them.'

I decided to go with a cover of Brown Eyed Soul - Love Ballad. It was one of the only Korean ballads I knew and it was beautiful.

I started off slow and quiet, feeling heavily judge and watched, obviously. However, as the song progresses I got more comforted and started loosening up, even enjoying it. I was too engrossed in reading the lyrics off my phone, I forgot I was even being watched.

When I finished the song, there was silence.

'Was it that terrible? I'm really sorry, I can pick another song if you want? I'll try harder, I haven't really ever sung before...'

'Woah woah, calm down! Bobby.... that was amazing! You've got quite the voice! Don't you think so?'

As I began to make my way out of the sound booth, I realised that last question wasn't directed at me. There was someone else in the studio. I was greeted by a small female figure, smiling happily in my direction. I stared into her eyes as if in shock, mouth wide open. My eyes shifted nervously to the music teacher who began to speak.

'Taeyeon, this is Bobby, the new trainee, this is only his first day and he's come out with a voice like that!'

I bowed deeply and said hello.

'Annyeonghaseyo, it's nice to meet you. I hope you don't mind, I was just getting some papers I left but heard you singing, you're a natural.'

That's right, I just met Taeyeon, the leader of the biggest girl group in Korea, if not Asian. It was strange seeing her in real life, I mean, I'd seen her on TV and posters etc, who hadn't. But no one ever expects to see celebrities in real life, it felt like a dream.

'Wow, thank you.' I was lost for words.

After a moment of awkward silence, the music teacher spoke.

'Bobby, I think I have the perfect song for you to sing! Let me just go print off the lyrics, I won't be long. You can grab a drink from the cafeteria and meet me back here in 10 minutes. You know where that is right?' I didn't but luckily Taeyeon spoke up.

'I'm heading that way, I can show you the way if you like.'

'That would be awesome, thanks.'

All three of us headed out the studio, the teacher going one way and me and Taeyeon going the other. I wasn't normally particularly quiet or shy but this wasn't any normal girl.

'It's kind of lucky I bumped into you, I owe you a coffee.'

I was dump struck, owe me a coffee? I had never met her before, how could she owe me anything?

'Sorry? I don't think...'

'Well, not really me, but my umma.'

As we turned the corner to the cafeteria, Taeyeon gestured forward and smiled. Then, I saw a familiar face. It was the women from outside the building, the one I had helped.

'Ohhh how wonderful, it's you again! I was hoping to see you.'

Taeyeon hugged her slightly and processed to the coffee stand. I smiled and bowed deeply. The women patted me affectionately and began speaking. So the women from before is Taeyeon's mother? How unbelievable. Now that I look though, they do look pretty similar.

'Taengoo, this is the kind young man that helped me earlier.'

She came back with two drinks in her hand and handed one to me.

'I know, I recognised him.'

'Recognised me?...'

'Yes sorry, I should explain. I saw the whole thing from the window. It was very kind of you, I was about to come out and help her myself but it seems she was in good hands.'

We both smiled at each other. Her smile was soft and endearing. I was still in disbelief at the whole situation.

'So you two are acquainted?' Her mother spoke.

'We've only just met in the studio, he has an amazing voice.' My cheeks became more flushed and I lowered my head smiling.

'I think the mic just made me sound better. If anyone heard me at karaoke, they would probably kick me out of SM.' We all laughed, with Taeyeon gently hitting me in the arm. Suddenly I glanced at my watch, 10 minutes was almost up.

'Oh, I nearly forgot. I have to be back in the studio soon. It was my pleasure meeting you both. Thanks for the coffee.'

We said our goodbyes and I started making my way back to the studio. As I walked away, I heard Taeyeon's mom voice.

'What a charming young man.'

I turned my head back and caught Taeyeon's eyes. We shared shy smiles before quickly averting our eyes, as if we were both caught doing something wrong. I didn't stop smiling until I reached the studio. I spent the rest of the day daydreaming through my classes, thinking about what had happened, how lucky I was and most of all her.