Did I Do The Right Thing?

Feel at Home

 

We knew each other since we were kids. And he had always been my knight in shining armor...

He is my partner in crime in every foolish thing that I do.

The broad shoulder I can lean on whenever I cry like a river.

He was with me in good times and bad times.

He's the big brother I need to protect me, and...

He's simply the best friend that I could ever wish for.

 

Then out of nowhere, I fell for him...

I wanted to tell him that I like him but it's too embarassing and I don't know if the feeling is mutual. I started to avoid him, but when he noticed he started asking why. And I confessed... But I didn't told that I like him, I just made up a lousy story that there was this guy who started courting me, and I thought I like him too, something like that. I remember his face at that moment, he was so mad at me and he scold me right in there, saying that how come I never introduce that suitor of mine to him... I really thought that he wouldn't buy the story I made, but boy, he did! And I somehow felt that he was jealous...

After telling him that I like someone, he never leaves my side anymore and he's being consistent on asking when will he gonna meet this 'guy' who's courting me. But things got screwed up, he got suspicious and started to interrogate me about this guy. My creative mind fails me to make up more stories to answer his questions...

I have no choice... but to admit and confess that its him whom I like.

 

"Are you kidding me?: He said.

I feel devastated. I want to die on the spot.

"Ricci, why me? Aren't I a bit too old for you?"

"You are not that old though. Just 4 years." I pout.

He then laughed hysterically. And of course, I feel offended. I was about to walk away and leave him laughing, but he stops and said, "I like you, Ricci. I like you too." I look at him straight in the eyes to see if he's fooling me... but... but he seems to be serious about it.

He continues, "Do you know how hard it is to treat you like a little sister, when my heart tells me more than that? I don't see you as a child anymore. You're all grown up now. Almost a lady... Yeah, maybe you're right, I'm not that really too old for you." He smiled, which makes my heart beat faster which I thought will soon pop out, and he held my hands...

"Perhaps, we could try to make things work out between us. What do you think?"

"Are you asking me out, Charles?"

"No, that's something I have to ask to your father."

"Oh." I mutter.

"Fool! Yes, I'm asking you out! Haha!"

 

How could I say no to that, right?

I thought of the song 'Perfect Two' by Auburn, to fit our relationship...

You're the apple to my pie,

You're the straw to my berry,

You're the smoke to my high,

And you're the one I want to marry...

 

It was all perfect until his dad got sick. They have to settle in one place for his dad's medication. Then my dad and I goes on with our moving-from-place-to-place routine. Life goes on our families. Distance did made a dent in our relationship, but we made it through.

 

When I thought that was the biggest problem we could ever face... I was so damn wrong.

 

I'm now in South Korea. In an instant, everything has changed and it feels like half of me was left in Philippines.

You know that feeling when you go out on a trip or a vacation, then something miserable or embarrassing happened to you, you ought to say, "What happened there, stays there." So what I'm feeling is like, What happened in Philippines, stays in Philippines." That includes my romantic love for Charles...

 

I realized now that I don't love him as my bae anymore...

I dunno why or when. I just know.

 

He's the best thing that could ever happen to me.

He's always been there for me. He believes in me.

No matter how childish I am.

No matter how foolish I act.

No matter how badly I treat him.

 

 

No one knows me better than Charles does, maybe he knows already that this might happen before I do...

I have to tell him now. I have to call him.

I dialled his number on my phone, this will be an overseas call, I might as well put an effort if this will be the last time I'm gonna talk to him...

Then I press 'call,' and he immediately answers...

Charles: Hello, who is this?

Me: It's me, Ricci.

Charles: Oh good heavens! Ricci!

Me: I'm sorry...

Charles: That's O--

Me: I'll make this short, Charles.

Charles: Short? What?

Me: I love you bu--

Charles: I love you too, you knew that already, hehe.

Me: Let me finish first, please.

Charles: Oh, okay ma'am. Shoot.

Me: I love you but not in a romantical way anymore. You mean so much to m----

*toot toot toot...*

The line went off. Did he just hang up on me?

 

Fuc*. Did I do the right thing?