OO1

The Werewolf

*OO1;

Palos Verdes, Year 2012

Peninsula that located approximately 32 kilometers from the southwest Los Angeles it is the location of luxury housing for the upper middle class society that offers views of the Pacific Ocean blue landscape. In some ways, This residential community feels like in the heyday of the American people in the 1960. But actually, this is a housing project home developers in an era of increased areas construction during the reign of Ronald Reagan. Plus, a few year earlier, Koreans who moved to the United States began to live in groups and settle there. This area is now becoming a sizeable Korean community. 

When winter comes, all over the place in this remote town was so quiet and the streets are deserted create a memorable atmosphere of melancholy.

In this residential complex there are beautiful two-story house in the middle of the cold sea breeze. Under the bright California sunshine which hardly ever rains nor snow, with yard filled with evergreen trees all year round, snowy white building that looks so slick, seemed never experienced winter gripping.

 

 

Early morning, moist sea breeze turned into mist. Street, buildings, and trees along the road covered with thin dew. In the quiet house whose residents were asleep, there's faint sound from the bathroom down the hall. White-haired old lady standing in front of the sink while brushing teeth slowly. Her age around the end of the sixties. Although her hair was gray, her skin is still beautiful and the lines of her face still firm. Her face is currently is still faintly visible young. She had a sheepish eye spotlight, a beautiful nose, and soft lip line.

With white hands and slender, she washes her face several times with water took a towel and dried his face then looked up at the mirror. Fine wrinkles on her face indicates a fragile personality. That woman looked at herself in the mirror for a few moments before finally coming out of the bathroom and walked slowly into the bedroom.Her small frame and small shoulders exude the impression of elegance.

She sat in front of the dressing table and applying lotion on face carefully. Then she stood up, issued a simple white dress shirt with purple floral motif from the wardrobe and wear it. She sat back down in front of the dressing table, hair combed neatly, issued an earrings from the jewelry box and put it up, then looked at the reflection in the mirror without saying a word.

Like her usual habbit, that woman began to explore the black spots that appear at the bottom of the temples.While touching cheeks started sagging and wrinkles are clearly visible, that woman sighed.

 


The old woman was sitting at the dinner table with her son, in-laws, and grandchildren for breakfast.

"Does she call?" Asked that old woman to her son-in-law.

"Yes, she called last night. she asked how's Halmoni."

"She's the one who should asked that, why she asked another people convey her greetings."

Her son replied, "When she called in Korean, it's already night in here. Besides Eun Joo will back next week."

Suddenly they heard a phone ringing from tiny table in dining room. The law stood up and picked up the phone.

The old woman smiled and said, "just been talked. It's looks like Eun Joo knows that she need talk to me directly."

"hello? yes? ah, right. Yes, please wait a minute." That woman handed up the phone to her mother-in-law.

"Eomma, there's a call from Korea."

The old woman received a up the phone while asking, "Not Eun Joo? who is calling me from korea?" then she put the phone at the ear and greeted with polite tone, "hello?" It looks like the person calling wants to make sure her identity, then she said again calmly, "Yes. I'm Kim Chae Yeong."

For a few moments, Kim Chae Yeong concentrate on listening to the words of the person who call. The look on her face slowly turns grim. Before hanging up, she said firmly as if it was a decision, "Alright. I understand. I will immediately meet you."

When she put down the phone, her son began to worry then asking, "Eomma, who's calling?"

She moved from his place limply. She walked into the living room and sank into the couch. With worries, other family members standing and sitting on the couch around her.

for a while Kim Chae Yeong just sat with an expressionless face. Then she looked at her son and said sadly, "My son, I had to go to korea."