OO2

The Werewolf

*OO2;

Although already heard the news that the weather was so cold in Korea, Kim Chae Yeong coming out of the automatic doors airport after meeting with her granddaughter, Eun Joo, surprised to feel the cold air that hit her. She shivered. The cold weather in her origin country, had long not she feel it. However, one difference is realized Kim Chae Yeong is not the cold weather, but it smells. When leaving for LA to leave korea, the first thing she felt when set foot in a foreign country is the smell of America.

Just as our body odor that we do not realize, countries also have a certain smell. She had long left the Korean, but can still recognize the smell even with eyes closed.

The car that carrying her on the motorway, accompanied by her granddaughter's babble who not fluent in Korean. They had passed Yeongjong bridge when Eun Joo's phone rings. from handsfree speaker, she heard her son-in-law's voice.

"Eomma, there yet?"

"Ne, I've been eating and drinking medicine in plane.You don't need to worry."

"Eun Joo, where you are now?"

"Hm...still at the airport toll road. I've the navigation, so I just follow the designated path. Gangwon-do, Hwacheon-gun, Sanae-myeon, Sachang-ri..."

"Eomma, Eun Joo can go alone and finish up there. Are you not tired, Eomma?"

"I'm not tired. You don't need to worry. After taking care of this problem, I'll be home soon."

"Eomma, just sell the important things to that person then go home."

"Okay. the telephone charges is expensive. bye."
 

 

While cars drive past land covered by snow and the snaking mountain road, Kim Chae Yeong not talking too much. Actually she wanted to hear the story of Eun Joo who attend school in korea, about college, friends, and her boyfriend. But when her granddaughter told her in a mess korean, her mind drifted past events that still haunt her. For her, this trip like tracing back memories of fifty years ago. Sometimes when seeing the truck or jeep of the army, she recalls that fateful day.

 

 

When leaving the paved road, the car drove on a bumpy road and finally stopped in front of a rickety building that is located at the foot of the Baek Woon mountain. Kim Chae Yeong's eyes glazed look at the villa that have been abandoned by the grass that grows wild in the yard. Her heart filled with deep sadness, such as when re-visiting the alley where she used to play in her childhood, or like when back seat at the table class he had spent his elementary school days.

The traumatic place that prevent her to recollect her past, just see it as nothing more than buildings and decrepit shack, and a patch of neglected land. Eun Joo who had been observing facial expressions of her grandmother asked carefully, "Is this house the place that you used to live?"

"Yes. only briefly."

"This house...impressed haunted. Like there is a ghost, monster or Frankenstein."

Pronunciation of her granddaughter sounded so westernized until it can make korean people shudder, but the old woman just giggled.

"Monster? Right, fifty years ago when the first time I see this house, I feel like that too. as if there is a monster that will come braved. but..." She paused for a moment, as if deep in thought. "I was a close friend with the monster. So it is not scary at all."

"What? Halmoni was close with the monster? omona. Halmoni, you're just kidding, right?"

"It's up to you if you want to believe it or not."

"Mrs. Kim Chae Yeong?"

Kim Chae Yeong and Eun Joo jerks when heard a call from behind them and turned immediately. they saw thick black-jacketed man holding a set of files. compared the suddenly presence of the stranger, Kim Chae Yeong even more surprised to hear her own name that she had almost forgotten. Kim Chae Yeong. Kim Chae Yeong who has become a wife, mother and grandmother. When was the last time she heard that name?

The man introduced himself as an officer of the regional office. He explained to Eun Joo with the spirit of the villa which has an aura of strangers and could not speak Korean well.

"So when the Donghwa company went bankrupt, this house belonged to an elderly mother named Mrs. Yoo Ok Hee. People that ranting this house keep changing. And after Mrs. Yoo Ok Hee passed away, this villa inherited to you. Do you not know about this, Mrs?"

The old woman nodded, but her eyes remained glued to the hut which is located on one side of the yard.

"Unpaid inheritance taxes and property taxes were already long in the stump. so we have to take care of this administrative issues..."

Kim Chae Yeong listened to the officer of regional office with a half-hearted and slowly approached the hut. She peered into the huts inside is not so obvious because of the piles of plywood. Seeing the old lady act, the officer of regional office became impatient. The man approached Kim Chae Yeong and submit the file that was in his grasp.

"However, because you live abroad, you will have difficulty taking care of this place. So you better sell it so that tax payments can be paid. construction of new buildings have been planned for this land, so we could sell a lot more expensive than the market price."

But that old woman did not respond to the officer speech, instead ask things that are not absolutely relate.

" may stay overnight here, isn't it?"

Officer of Regional office just stared at Kim Chae Yeong, Unable to respond.

 

 

In the winterthe sun only shines for a short time. That's why, around that place darkened quickly. At the request of Kim Chae Yeong, officer of regional office brought a sleeping bag, mineral water, room heaters, and etc. He also helps to move the furniture in the living room.

"I had to go to Woljeong-ri to get all these. Wah! turns out, the electricity is still on."

With an expression of grateful, Kim Chae Yeong pull out some bills and put it in the hands of the officers when they shake hands.

"Thank you so much. But is there is no one around here?"
"Well, first it seems there are still one or two people. but now everyone is leaving this place and their house was already destroyed. The only remains is this house. but...If I may make a suggestion, you better stay in town. At night, the weather is very cold there. they said there are wild animals that hanging around."

Hearing that, Chae Yeong Kim's eyes sparkled, "Wild animal?" Asked her.

"Well...it looks like a wild boar. I only heard stories of people.anyway, be careful. Tomorrow I'll be back here with those from the sale of property." 

Officer of regional office rushed to leave villa.

 

 

After turning on the lights and heaters, and unfurled sleeping bags, a living room feel comfortable. Eun Joo positioned her sleeping bag beside her grandmother and lay down.

"Halmoni, there's no rat in here, right?"

"Like I said, you better stay in the city."

"no, it's okay. this is interesting. like camping! but halmoni, why do you want to spend the night here?"

"I don't know..."

"Halmoni always answered 'I don't know'" Eun Joo pouted and turned. then she showed the phone in her hand to her grandmother. "Halmoni, wanna see it?"

On the phone screen she looks Eun Joo with a young man. Kim Chae Yeong look at the picture without saying anything, then smiled.

"He's handsome."

"He is! he's handsome, right?"

"How is he? what's his parents' work?"

"I don't know."

"Would not be difficult if you later marry a guy from a poor family?"

"I know! but's he's good."

Kim Chae Yeong observing the face of her granddaughter who were smiling. When I was in your age, I also don't care about a person's background, She thought. Realized she asked immeadiately about her granddaughter's boyfriend's family, she feel bad because she changed into materialistic.

"Be good to him. A guy likes to be praised. when they grow, a lot of things that can be worry and can't be done. heart could be getting bored...You only live once."

Suddenly Eun Joo's phone rang, Her granddaughter close the phone to her ear before jumping up and walked out of the house. Kim Chae Yeong staring Eun Joo's back who walked out in a hurry.

 

 

Eun Joo walked slowly in the yard, chatting with her ​​boyfriend. Due to the cold night air, seen puff of white vapor every time she opens . Eun Joo are talking, laughing out loud but suddenly changed into a serious expression. She saw someone standing on a street corner that leads into the woods next to the villa. Eun Joo immediately end the conversation with her boyfriend and slowly approached the side of the car parked in front of the villa.

"Who's there?"

No replies. The man did not approach or escape. He just looked at Eun Joo without make a sound, Because the man did not look dangerous, Eun Joo be a little calm and took a step forward, try to see the man's face. But the man who stands alone while looking at Eun Joo was also slowly turned and disappeared into the woods.

Eun Joo stand confused staring at the place that man standing before.Then when remembering something, she opened the driver's door of the car, looking for something, and issuing the goods that she was looking for. She looked once more toward the man before going back into the house.

 

 

Eun Joo back into the living room carrying the items that taken from the car. She went into the sleeping bag and laid it beside her.

"What is that?"

"Stun gun. Just in case."

"Alright. go sleep."

Kim Chae Yeong turn off the lights. just seen the light of the silvery moon broke into the room through the window. For a moment, they can not sleep, just back and forth in a sleeping bag with a restless. Finally, Eun Joo broke the silent.

"Halmoni."

"Hm?"

"I can't sleep. tell me the stories of the old days."

"stories of the old days?"

"Yes. But don't tell the usual story you tell me when I was a kid. Isn't there a story that has never i heard of?"

Kim Chae Yeong staring at the ceiling, deep in her thought. She just returned to this country after fifty years, But even though fifty years have passed, the memories remain unforgettable. The house where the incident occurred. The incident that has been forgotten, no... is trying to forget about it as time went as she grows from a childish girl into a mature woman. 

As if reopen an old album, Kim Chae Yeong thought back to the time of the incident. Slowly, she began to talk. dreamy gaze, while her mind drifted back to the past.

"Then, Do you want to hear about the incident which is already happen in this villa a long time ago? the story of 47 years ago. when i was in your age ... and when I was young and beautiful like you."

 


finally an update after two days. xD baekhyun still have not appear kkk, wait patiently ! comment and subcribe. :3 an upvote would be loved.