OO3

The Werewolf

*OO3;

Autumn Year 1965,

The story begins on the day of the Chae Yeong family's move to this area.

Because there is no man who helped, the displacement Chae Yeong's family experienced many problems. This job requires a lot of energy, but they have to consider the cost of the carrier and reduces the jobs that require a large human resource. Chae Yeong's family told to reduce the items they wish to bring, and they are already reducing it, but still their stuff fulfill a truck that weighs two tons.

To save the cost of moving, the three women in the family painstakingly lowered and bring their own furniture such as wardrobes, in order to decrease the cost of the goods need not be calculated in the bill. If some people are not helping neighbors, Chae Yeong's family may certainly be busy strutting their stuff moved from yard.

From the outside Chae Yeong does look weak, but actually she is a strong girl. Without prompting, she wears gloves and carried the furniture that she capable one by one. But unlike her mother who smiled brightly as she continually thanked neighbors who helped, Chae Yeong frown all the time.

They left the Western-style house that often make her friends jealous and had to move to the countryside who have never heard or she visited. The painful reality is actually associated with a weak body of her that is suffering from tuberculosis.

Mr. Jeong is trying to carried desk drawer helped by his wife and assisted by Chae Yeong's mother was waiting under the truck will not strong enough to carried the desk drawer. She called the young man who had been standing in the middle of the yard while smoking.

"Ya! Young man ! Come here a minute and help lift the drawer."

But the guy just looked at the mountains with annoyed expression. Jong In. Now he does not wear a children shirt anymore, but an expensive suit for an adult. His expression arrogant and cunning. His appearance was striking. Jong In's father and Chae Yeong's father is a close friend. They attended the same high school before becoming a business partner.

"This brat!"

Goaded by Jong In's attitude, Mr. Jeong throws a sharp rebuke. But when looking at Chae Yeong's mother's eyes that begged to be patient, Mr. Jeong resist his anger. He carrying a heavy chest of drawers assisted by Chae Yeong's mother from behind. Jong In who had looked with an indifferent style now approached Chae Yeong's mother and start a conversation.

"How is it, ahjumma? the air here is quite good and the house to be habitable, right? father's Villa is also not so far from here. so, take it easy, ahjumma."

with labored breathing, Chae Yeong's mother answered, "Alright. thanks to you, Jong In. I don't have to worry anymore about house. this kindness..."

But Chae Yeong who stand besides her interrupted her mother annoyed, "Eomma, don't talk like that."

Chae Yeong's family could live in this house is thanks to the kindness of Jong In's father. But Chae Yeong hates to see her mother say thank you until she have to bow repeatedly. Especially in front of a cunning young man and brash like him.

 

 

It was late afternoon when all finished moved the goods. In return for the help of the neighbors, Chae Yeong's mother serving food wrapped from seoul and prepare a simple supperm. The neighbors were composed of the Jeong husband and wife who lived in the house next door and Dong Seok halmoni who lived a bit far from them. That halmoni is also bring her grandchildren, Dong Ryu and Dong Mi who have lost both their parents.

Chae Yeong do not like to share Jjigaeㅡsupㅡscoop out and eat it together with people who have not known well. She also does not like to hear them chatting noisily in a weird accent. The first time her family eat in a crowded situation like this ever since her father died.

Mr. Jeong took the chonggak Kimchiㅡkimchi made ​​of young​ radishㅡby hand and took a bite and said, "I ever went to this house several times,but this is the first time I saw the inside of the house. Turns out there are lots of rooms. There is also a phone. It's really good."

Chae Yeong's mother nodded, respond to the Mr. Jeong's words, then asked, "Before we moved in, who's lived here?"

"A professor, but he never came out or blend in.Then, when the autumn two years ago, he died of a heart attack." As if he were sharing a secret, the wife of Mr. Jeong said quietly, "Mrs. Kim, did you see the hut in the yard? The professor maintain wolves there."

"Wolves? omona, why he maintain a wild animal?"

"from what i heard it's for his research. He does not socialize. Day and night he was just in and out of the hut."

Chae Yeong remembered the dog killer that she have read in a mystery novel and became interested with the story that are discussed. But every time he talk, Mr. Jeong's drool burst out. Chae Yeong was loss of appetite and put the spoon on the table.

This time Mr. Jeong change the subject and discuss Jongin.

"By the way, Who is that young man? His hair was as slippery as oiled. Looks like he is not a member of this family, huh?"

Chae Yeong's mother who tried to scoop jjigae smiled bitterly and answered, "Ah, do you mean Jongin? He is the son of my husband's business associates."

"I've saw him once and immediately knew he's not a good boy. older peoples work effortlessly in front of him, but he just relaxed smoking."

This time Dong Seok halmoni in, "But why your husband is not in here on the day you move house?"

"He's passed away...a year ago..."

"omona, so, how do you fend this family? is there are still remaining property?"

"If there are still remaining property, We may not owe to others or move here. I worked as a proofreader for a publishing company, so I can work from home at the same time raising my child."

Everyone was silent while the awkward silence enveloped them. Suddenly Dong Seok halmoni admonish Dong Mi who sitting next to her because ate cluttered. Mr. Jeong ask for a bowl of soup again to Chae Yeong, while his wife began to discuss the problems of children.

"Your children are polite and pretty. But school is far from here. Your youngest daughter could go to Sachang Academy with Dong Ryu. But is your eldest daughter will be put into a girls' school Hwacheon?"

Chae Yeong's mother glanced into the kitchen and answered softly, "Chae Yeong not attending school."

"Eonni ... is sick." Chae Rin who busy spooning rice into the mouth, lightly answered.

Chae Yeong are taking soup in the kitchen when she heard her sister answers. She put the soup spoon and stood transfixed, "Actually we didn't able to buy a house like this, but Chae Yeong is sick. The doctor said she had to undergo healing in a fresh air ..."

"My goodness...how severe?"

"She have a weak lungs. so she didn't go to school and just prepare for the final exam in home."

 

 

Chae Yeong bring soup for Mr. Jeong. Then she excused herself from the table and out into the yard. The stars seemed to fill the night of countryside sky, Autumn's cold wind was blowing. but her heart feels heavy and she did not know what to do about her future.

When she sighed, there was a knock of a blunt object from the hut. But Chae Yeong who upset against everything just smoothed shirt with a frown before going back into the house.

 


a fast update !  i was thinking to update the next chapter tomorrow but my hands can't keep calm to update. xD  comment and subcribe. :3 an upvote would be loved.