Encounter Fourteen

Her Boyish Encounters

DARA

I realized he did it on purpose. He planned it well. Why didn't I see it before? I should have known. Ugh, stupid! How can I be so stupid? I thought he'll just pester the hell out of Suzy which would piss her off and she'll end up walking away so I immediately intervened and had him sit to my left. I also thought he might do the opposite and start charming her again and she'll fall for him all over again. So I volunteered to sit in the middle. I thought it was all good. I thought it was a win-win for me. I get to be beside Suzy, which how I want it to be. I also thought I'll get to separate them.

Oh boy, I was wrong.

He planned this.

He thought of this through. He made sure Suzy got the popcorn so he'll have an excuse to lean towards me. He pissed her off in front of me so I'll end up finding a way to break it off. I don't know why he's doing this. I don't understand what's in it for him. I don't - my fists balled and my toes curled as he bit my earlobe again.

I kicked him on the shin and stepped on his foot. It was rude to pull out your phone and send a text to someone else when you're in a date - I don't really want to do it. I don't want to be rude to Suzy. I don't want her to feel as if I'm not interested or I'm bored. I don't want her to think that there's someone else. But I need to send Jiyong a text message. I can't just whisper to him and say what I wanted to say because it's lengthy.

I turned to Suzy. "I just have to text someone. Is that okay?"

She blinked at me. Disbelief bringing life to her pretty face. "Sure."

I pulled out my phone and pulled it close to my nose and started typing a message.  STOP IT! IT'S NOT FUNNY ANYMORE! ARE YOU A GAY OR SOMETHING?! I'LL SCREAM AND EVERYBODY'S GOING TO THINK YOU'RE GAY! I hit Send.

Go ahead. I'll just tell them you're a girl. I fumed as I read his response. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath to calm myself down. I'll deal with him later. I'll focus on the movie and Suzy for now.

With that thought it mind, I hid my phone away.

It beeped.

And beeped.

And it beeped again.

Gritting my teeth, I pulled it out and put it on silent. I didn't even bother reading the messages because I knew who they're from.

I tried my best to focus on the movie. I tried my best to think of Suzy's reactions or what we should do after the movie but I was distracted. I'm not just distracted but DISTRACTED.

My mind. . . my brain was filled of thoughts of Jiyong. No, not in a romantic way or anything similar to that. It's way far from that. I'm just. . . annoyed. I'm pissed. I'm. . . ugh, distracted.

I don't remember ever being annoyed at someone like this. I don't remember ever being pissed off at someone this way. I just don't get him. I should be concentrating on the movie but my mind was drifting away, wondering why on earth was he doing this.

Why? Why was he doing this? Does he want Suzy back? If so, then why is he playing around with me instead of just pursuing her? I didn't want to admit it and I don't think I'll ever say it out loud but I feel like Suzy hasn't really moved on from Jiyong yet. If my gut feeling was right, it would not take that much effort for him to get her back.

For Jiyong. . . I just don't get him. I'm not really sure now if he has moved on or he's just putting on an act. I mean, he strikes me as someone who won't just stay still if he wants someone or something. So why? Why was he doing this? Unless. . . no, that's impossible. I don't even want to go there. There's just no way.

No.Freaking.Way.

Or. . .

No. . . I shook my head to drive the thoughts away. There's just no way he's into me, right? That's just impossible. I mean, we're sailing the same way. He knows that. He. . . there's just no way. Unable to stop myself, my head went to his direction. I went still when our eyes met. He's. . . staring at me. He wasn't smiling. He wasn't smirking or sneering. He wasn't frowning. He wasn't even giving me that gooey eyes. He was just. . . staring at me. This made me frown. I was trying to process what this all mean but then he reached out and cleared the frown my face with his fingers. He then straightened up and looked up ahead.

I just can't figure him out.

And I just can't figure out why I'm letting him get through to my head. He's just a classmate. Do I even consider him a friend? Maybe. Should you let a friend distract you like this when you've been given a once-in-a-lifetime chance to datw your ideal girl and crush? We're not even bestfriends! To top it all, he's a boy! How could I be distracted of boy thoughts when I'm on a date with the prettiest girl on campus? I'm out of my mind. This is wrong.

I spent the next hour or so lost in my thoughts. Thankfully, Jiyong left me alone. When the movie was over, I stood up feeling guilty. I didn't even pay attention to the movie. I wasn't even thinking of Suzy. Ugh. Why did I let him distract me?

"Can we talk?" I faced him the moment Suzy was out of earshot as she went to the comfort room.

He crossed his arms. "About what?"

"About what you were doing to me back there."

"What about it?"

"Are you attracted to lesbians?"

He blinked at me a few times before bursting into a loud laugh. I looked around and cringe as people started looking at him or us in a funny way. I turned my eyes back at Jiyong who was now bent over his knees, still laughing like a hyena. What's he laughing at? What's funny with my question? I asked because I wad curious.

"Will you stop?" I gritted. "I wasn't joking."

Of course he's not going to stop laughing just because I told him to.

"You're so. . . funny," he said in between his laugh.

"Stop it!" I hissed.

"What's so funny?" Suzy's voice came in.

Jiyong straightened up and wiped the tears away from his eyes. I widened my eyes at him. "MYOB."

I grimaced. "Don't be rude."

Jiyong shrugged. "It's just between me and Dee, Bae."

"You aren't talking about anything naughty, are you?" she asked.

"No! Of course not!" I vehemently denied, making Jiyong laugh out loud again.

"Oh well, I guess boys will be boys."

Jiyong snickered at that. "Yeah, right."

I'd really love to kick him in the shin. I'd really love to do that. I would if I could.

"So. . . where are we up to next?"

"Bungee jumping," Jiyong answered.

Bungee jumping? That wasn't part of the plan!

"Ooh, I'd love that!" Suzy gushed. Those words were enough to stop any protests I was about to make. Suzy looked so excited that I just ended up falling behind her and Jiyong. "Do you remember the last time we went there, Ji?"

"No, I don't."

I glared at Jiyong's back. How can he be so rude? And why is he taking us to bungee jumping? What's he trying to do right now? Is he trying to tell me that he did a lot of things with Suzy? Is this his way of trying to win her back? But why was he being rude to her? Is that just a front? He's so confusing! I just don't get him! Why is he doing this? Or am I just overthinking?

Maybe he didn't really mean anything by it. Maybe he just really wanted to go bungee jumping. Maybe he. . . I stopped dead when I realized I was thinking of him again. I was letting him distract me into oblivion again. Ugh! What's wrong with me?

Erase, erase, erase!

"What's going on?" I asked much later on.

"He's afraid of heights," Suzy giggled.

I faced Jiyong. "You're afraid of heights and yet you wanted to go bungee jumping?"

"It's fine," Suzy said. "We can go together just like we did last time."

"I don't want to do it with you," Jiyong said, almost in a whining voice.

My imagination got a better hold of me. I picture of them hugging tightly as they jump off the ramp. I shook my head. Nope, not going to happen on my watch.

"I'll do it with him," I said.

Jiyong grinned. I glared at him, as always. I think all I ever do is glare at him.

"It's really fine with me," Suzy said.

"Dee don't want you to be burdened of me so just let him be," Jiyong said.

"You're so considerate," Suzy softly said, making me blush to the roots of my hair.

As we got equipped with harness, I started wondering if Jiyong's really afraid of heights or it's just his way of being cute.

Wait, what?

Cute?

Who did I just think of as cute?

"Are you really afraid of heights or are you just being a ert?"

"I really am afraid of heights."

"I don't believe you," I said. "You wouldn't have brought us here if you were afraid of heights."

"I'm using it as an excuse to hug you."

I felt my blood boil and my face turned red. "I'm not going to wrap my arms around you!"

"That's totally fine with me," he said. "I'll just do the hugging." He wiggled his eyebrows at me. Unable to stop myself, I stepped on his foot.

"Aww!" he grimaced.

Served him right!

"You're so cute," he said. Even before I could snap something back, his arms went around me and then we were falling.

It took me a few seconds to realize we were falling. A smile started curving my mouth. It eventually turned into a laugh. I didn't mind Jiyong's tight embrace. I didn't pay attention to the way his body was trembling. I spread my arms and screamed from excitement. I don't care if I was screaming straight into his ears.

This feeling. . . I don't even get this kind of excitement from skateboarding. "WOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!" I screamed and then laughed again.

And then, it was over.

"I want to do it again!" I said.

"I think I'll pass," Jiyong said.

I looked at him. He was pale. "Are you okay?"

He just shook his head.

"You can go again Dee," I heard Suzy say. "I'll stay with Jiyong until he's no longer dizzy."

Jiyong grabbed my wrist tightly. "It's okay. I'll stay with him first. It's your turn anyways. I'll go again after you."

Suzy looked like she was about to protest but Jiyong beat her to it. "I need to sit."

"No, I'll lool after him. It's obviously your first time doing this, have a go at it again," Suzy insisted.

Jiyong leaned his body towards me. "Let me help bring him over to that corner."

"Thanks," she said.

Jiyong had his arm on my shoulder, he was heavily leaning his body against mine. His head was resting against mine as well. I had my arms around him to support him as I led him into a corner. I slowly had him sit down. He leaned his head against the wall, his eyes closed.

"I can take it from here Dee," Suzy said.

Jiyong grabbed my hand and made a shooing gesture to Suzy. "Go away," he said.

"You're obviously not okay," Suzy said and then she glanced up at me. "I know how to deal with him, you go on."

"I don't want you, Suzy."

"You don't know what you're talking about. Stop letting your pride get in the way," Suzy scolded him and looked up at. me again. "Go on."

"But I. . . ."

"We'll be fine," she cut me off and then pried off Jiyong's hand off mine. "I'll be fine. We'll be right here. Go on."

Should I just let them be together? Should I just let Suzy look after him? She's really not over him yet, huh? I can tell how she's still into him with the way she's fussing over him. Don't I really stand a chance? Should I just give up?

I watched as Suzy sat beside him and pulled his head to lean on her shoulder.

Yeah. . .  I don't have a chance.

I started taking a few steps back when I heard Jiyong groaned. "Dee."

I turned around and swallowed the lump in my throat. I then headed back to the ramp. I should have known there'll be mo chance for me and Suzy to be together. She's obviously straight and would never sway the other way around.

My thoughts then drifted to Jiyong. He was once again, making me confused. If he was scared of heights, why on earth did he brought us here? Was it perhaps his way of getting Suzy to take care of him? But he was shooing her away a while ago. Was that just an act again? A front? But he was pale and he genuinely looked as if he was really in pain or something.

"Are you going to jump or not?" the staff asked.

"Oh sorry," I mumbled. "I got distracted."

I turned around, my eyes drifting towards  the corner where Jiyong and Suzy was. Jiyong had his eyes on me. Again, he wasn't smiling. He wasn't smirking. He wasn't sneering or teasing. He didn't look happy or satisfied or sad or displeased. He just. . . had his eyes on me.

I closed my eyes, shutting the vision of him staring at me. I let myself fall backwards. I didn't scream this time. I didn't laugh this time. It's still thrilling but. . . I'm just not as excited as I was before.

Suzy didn't get to bungee jump. By the time I was up again, Jiyong was feeling okay already. Who wouldn't be though? He had Suzy looking after him.

"So. . .  where are we going next?" Suzy asked with a bright smile on her face. She was looking at Jiyong expectantly. I looked down, my eyes focusing on my shoes.

"I heard Dee mentioning about a fireworks festival," Jiyong said. I kept my eyes on my shoes.

"But you don't like stuff like that," I heard Suzy say.

"Never said that," he countered.

"But you always say no everytime I ask you to go to one."

"Maybe I just wasn't in the mood or I didn't like going with you."

"Stop," I heard myself say. "It's fine. You two don't have to go."

"Yeah, you don't have to go Suzy. You can go home now," Jiyong seconded.

"I've always wanted to go to a fireworks festival. You're the one who always refused to go, Jiyong."

I felt like an outsider. I felt like I was the third wheel witnessing a lover's quarrel. "You two should go then," I blurted. "I'll just go or something. . ."

"Are you sure?" Suzy asked.

"I'm not going if you're not going, Park."

I looked up at Jiyong, well more like I glared at him. Why was he putting me on spot? Suzy obviously wanted to go and she definitely wanted Jiyong to be there. So if I won't go, Jiyong won't go which means Suzy's not going to be happy and would probably be sad. Maybe she'll even find me a mood killer.

I didn't really have a choice, did I?

We arrived at least an hour and a half before the fireworks display. We looked for a spot - not too crowded, not too bright and not too dim. Suzy was sitting in the between me and Jiyong this time. I should be grateful Suzy's in between us. He won't be able to - I shuddered at the memory of his mouth and tongue in my ear. Eww, that was just gross. Really, I should be grateful he won't be able to do those things again since Suzy's in between but I'm not really too happy with them so close to each other. I realized I don't have a chance at Suzy but I'm still jealous. It still sting. It's. . .

"Dee?"

"Huh?" I muttered, blinking into space. It took some time for me to actually process the fact that Jiyong was standing in front of me, a questioning look on hos face. "What?"

"I said I'll go get some drinks. Do you want anything?"

"Oh, anything would do."

I watched Jiyong turned around and walk away to get us drinks. "He can really be sweet when he wants to," Suzy started.

"Huh?"

"I was a bit thirsty. He must've known because I didn't say anything but he suddenly stood up and announced he'll go buy some drinks."

"Hmmm. . ." I mumbled.

We both went silent. I thought we'll remain this way until Jiyong comes back but then Suzy broke the silence. "You seemed like a nice person," she started. "But you're not really my type. To be honest, I only agreed to meet you because of Jiyong. You two seemed close and. . . hahaha. . . I'm sorry."

I know. I already know that. I wanted to tell her I know but a lump formed in my throat, forcing the words back.

"Is Jiyong interested in someone else?" she then asked.

"W-what?"

"I mean, I always see you two together. I assuming you'd know if he has his eyes on someone else."

"We're not that close," I informed her.

"Is he showing interest in someone else?"

"None that I know of," I answered.

She smiled so brightly that it took my breath away. Suzy's already really pretty but when she smiles. . . oh boy. "You're really pretty," I blurted out before I could stop myself. My hand automatically flew to my mouth, my eyes going wide. I could just feel the blood rushing to my cheeks.

Suzy giggled. The sound of it made me finally smile. "I know," she said.

"Having fun without me?" Jiyong's familiar voice came in. My smile instantly turned into a grimace. "Here's your water," he said and gave Suzy a bottled water. He then sat to my left, making me the in-between person again. "I didn't know what you like so I bought you all of these."

He handed me a bag of different kinds of drinks - water, soda, juice, name it. "I can't drink all of these!" I exclaimed.

"You don't have to drink all of them now," he said. "You can bring some of them home. You can also share some of them with me."

I turned away from him and faced Suzy. "Do you like anything else?"

"No, I'm fine," she said.

I faced Jiyong again. "What do you want?" I grumbled as my eyes zeroed in on a can of soda. When Jiyong didn't answer, I looked up, frowning. "Hey, what do you want?" I repeated.

You, he mouthed. My eyes went wide, making him laugh. "That look on your face never fails to make me laugh," he said. "I was just joking."

"What do you want?" I gritted.

"Pepsi."

"Choose something else," I told him. "I like Pepsi too."

"Then we'll have to share."

"Choose something else," I repeated, close to a whine.

"We can just share the Pepsi, you knoe, drink from the same -."

"Here," I cut him off and gave him a bottle of juice. I didn't really want to listen to the rest of his words as they weren't helping my suddenly overactive imagination right now.

"You know. . ." he started but wasn't able to finish as the place was then filled with gasps and the sound of fireworks.

"It's starting!" Suzy exclaimed.

"It started earlier than the announced time," I heard Jiyong say. I didn't say anything as I was too captivated with the view.

"Whoaaa, so pretty!" Suzy exclaimed.

I glanced at her and smiled when I saw the bright expression on her face. She was smiling. She looked happy. Seeing her excited like a kid over the fireworks display made me happy too. She took her phone out and I assume she started taking photos or videos of the display. She then stood up and went closer to the edge, her phone still on her hand. An idea suddenly popped into my head so I grabbed my phone too and saw I had unread messages. I was pretty sure they're from Jiyong from the movie house so I decided to read them later.

With the phone in my hand, I took a photo of Suzy's back facing me and with the display as the background. I hid my phone behind me when she suddenly turned around. "Hey Ji, let's take a photo!"

"I don't want to," he said.

"Come on, don't be grumpy."

"Go on," I urged him. "I'll take your photo."

"Nope."

"Take a photo of me then," Suzy said, making Jiyong roll his eyes.

"I'll do it," I volunteered.

"Thanks," she said, giving Jiyong a look.  She then handed her phone to me and took a pose. "One more!" she said as she took a different pose.

We went on like that. Suzy seemed to be not running out of poses. I don't know how many photos of her I took already but I wasn't complaining. I was having fun taking her photos. But then, the phone was suddenly taken away from me by Jiyong. "That's enough," he said. "Go over there, I'll take a photo of you together."

"No, I'm good."

"Go over there," he said. "You're going to end up just taking her photos all through out this whole thing and you won't be able to enjoy the fireworks display."

"I'm fine taking photos of her."

"Go over there, Dee."

I hesitantly joined Suzy near the edge. Jiyong took I think 2 shots of us together. He then walked over to us and handed Suzy's phone back to her. He then took out his and placed his arm on my shoulder. He pulled me closer to him. "Group picture!" he announced. He took 3 quick consecutive shots with just the two of us on the screen.

"Hey!" Suzy protested. "Not fair!"

"You were too far to be included in the shot," Jiyong said.

"But you told us to stand apart from each other," she whined.

"Not my fault you're too slow."

"Kwon Jiyong!" I hissed. "Let's just take another group photo, with the three of us this time."

"I don't want her face on my phone," I hears him mumble under his breath.

My eyes widened again and I quickly looked over to Suzy but she was already too busy looking at the photos of herself on her phone. I faced Jiyong. "Why are you being rude?"

"I'm just being honest."

"I'll deal with you later," I told him and for some weird reason, that made him smile. "What's so funny with what I just said?"

He just shrugged. "Go enjoy the fireworks," he then said and went back to where we were sitting a while ago.

I decided to let him be and just enjoy the fireworks display. I'll talk to him later. He seriously needs to stop being rude to Suzy. He also needs to stop with all the erted acts he's been doing to me. Yep, I'll deal with him later.

"Hey Dee," Jiyong called. I looked behind me. I saw him witb his phone out and I think he just took a photo of me. A smile of satisfaction on his face.

I'll deal with him later. I'll make him erase the photo. Yep, I'll do that later. For now, I'll enjoy my last moment with Suzy. I'm still on a date with her after all.

Dealing with Kwon Jiyong would have to wait when we're on our way home.

Wait, that didn't sound right. We're not going home together! We don't even live in the same house! I meant when he walks me home later - wait, that didn't sound right as well. Am I assuming that he'll walk me home, I meam to my house? What? No!

I'll deal with him after I bring Suzy home. Yep, that sounded right.

Yeah. . . later.