Encounter Eleven

Her Boyish Encounters

JIYONG

 

Be mine, the words echoed through my head. I watched her process the words for a few seconds. I could just picture how her brain was processing what I just said. She stared at me with a blank expression at first, possibly not comprehending what I just said but it was soon replaced by confusion followed by understanding and then hesitance. It was fascinating watching all of these on her face.

 

I waited for her reply in silence, my smile getting bigger as the seconds ticked by. If she’s confident she’s not going to be swayed, she’ll accept the challenge. If she feels there’s a small possibility of her getting upside down, she’s going to make excuses.

 

What would her answer be?

 

Slap.

 

I took a step back at the impact it made. My hand immediately went to my cheek that just got slapped and I stared at her with wide eyes. “You’re crazy!” she hissed and then ran away.

 

I blinked. Well, that did not go well. It wasn’t also the reaction I expected. I was expecting her to either start rambling and make excuses out of the bet or that she’ll accept it. I definitely did not see that slap coming. I chuckled under my breath. It might not have been the reaction I expected but it told me something I’ve been wanting to confirm. Despite my stinging cheek, I kept the smile on my face and turned around to head to class. The moment I entered the classroom, my eyes immediately went to her. Our eyes met and hers widened the moment she saw me. I felt satisfied upon seeing how she winced when her eyes darted to the cheek she slapped. She looked so damn adorable looking guilty like that. I don’t want to any further but I didn’t like it when she dropped her eyes down in what I assume is her attempt to avoid mine. I like looking into her eyes. I won’t let her hide those pretty orbs from me so with sure steps, I headed towards her.

 

I rested my palms down on her desk and dipped my head lower to level with hers. “Look at me,” I coaxed gently when she stubbornly kept her eyes down. “Baby, eyes on me. . .” I whispered low enough to make sure she’s the only one who could hear me. With a gasp, her eyes lifted up to meet mine. “That’s better,” I went on with approval. Damn those pretty orbs. “You owe me one.”

 

She bit her lower lip down anxiously. That was enough for me. I straightened up and put on a playful smile on my face. I winked at her first before going to my seat at the back of the classroom. The moment I sat down, I glanced up at her again and saw her sneaking a look at me with her head turned back. When she saw me watching her, she jumped in her chair and straightened up. I chuckled. She seriously needs to stop being adorable. I pulled out my phone and discreetly started typing a message to send her as the teacher started with the lesson. Hopefully, her phone’s on silent mode. Stop staring at me, you’re making me blush. I hit send.

 

I waited but no sound came although she did jump again on her chair. I’m guessing she had her phone on vibrate mode and it was on her back pocket. I could just imagine the look on her face and it made me bite my lower lip down to stop myself from smiling flat out. Out of all the girls I’ve been with, no one equals to how adorable she is. I don’t think it’s possible but I think my smile even went wide when I saw her sneaked a look back at me again. I pulled out my phone again and typed in another message. Focus, Dara. Eyes up front.

 

She was sitting at the front so I didn’t expect her to read the messages just yet but I could just picture the look on her face the once she read them though. I kept my eyes on her the entire class, not really paying attention to the lecture, which was something not new. I typed in a few messages every now and then every time I had a comment about something. I need her to know I had my eyes on her the whole time. Don’t ask me why but I just felt like it was something very important for her to know.

 

The school bell rang an hour and thirty minutes later. I watched almost every one in the classroom leave their seat, including Dara. I saw her pulled out her phone and stepped out of the class room. I can’t help but smile. I’ll let her be for now. I’ll be on her mind once she read those messages anyways. Trying not to look too stupid to everyone, I leaned forward and rested the cheek that wasn’t slapped on my desk. I closed my eyes and sighed. As I did, the memory of seeing her pretty brown orbs played with my mind. What am I supposed to do with that?

 

Something cold was pressed on my cheek, making me open my eyes. I straightened up and saw her holding a cold can of soda against my injured cheek. “I’m sorry,” she mumbled.

 

“Sit,” I told her while keeping her hand holding can on my cheek. She tried to pull her hand away but I only held on tight.

 

Her eyes widened and she frantically looked around. Everyone else was busy with what they’re doing. “What are you doing?” she asked.

 

“Sit,” I repeated. “Or stay standing like this.”

 

She frowned at me and used her free arm to reach out for the vacant chair in front of my desk. I let her hand go the moment she sat down. I kept my mouth shut as I went on pressing the cold can against my cheek with my eyes on her. She cleared . “I. . . you surprised me. I didn’t mean to. . .”

 

“Did you read the text messages I’ve sent you?” I asked.

 

“Oh, you sent me one?”

 

“Not just one,” I informed her. I thought she already read the messages. “I thought you already read them since you were holding your phone when you stepped out of the room,” I said as she checked her pockets for her phone.

 

“I was distracted,” she said, frowning. She then looked up at me with wide eyes. “Oh no, I think I left my phone.”

 

She stood up and was just about to bolt out when I heard Suzy’s voice behind me. “Hey Dee, you left your phone.”

 

I kept my eyes on Dara. I watched her sighed in relief as she took the phone from Suzy.  The girl was blushing. I stared at how pretty she looked with that color to her cheeks. I felt one corner of my mouth lifted slightly. She smiled brightly at Suzy and I saw moved but I could no longer hear what she was saying because all I could hear was the hard pounding of my heart inside my chest. I suddenly find it hard difficult to breathe. I suddenly stood up, startling her. The bright smile on her face was replaced by a worried frown as she looked at me. “Are you okay?” I think I heard her ask. I was not sure. My heart was going crazy. A small, warm and gentle hand rested on my forearm, making my heart beat even crazier. I stepped away from her and stormed out of the room.

 

I headed straight to the school clinic. By the time I reached it, my heart was calmer and was beating normally but I still wanted to be checked - you can never be sure these days. The school nurse inspected and told me my vital signs are normal so she went to ask me some questions. A small smile started playing at the corner of her lips when I told her what I was doing when my heart started beating wildly in my chest. “What?” I asked.

 

“This friend. . . is this someone you like?” she asked.

 

I chuckled. “What are you on about?”

 

She just raised her brows at me and waited for me to answer her question. I can’t bring myself to deny it but I can’t also confirm it. I mean, sure, Dara is a nice person. She’s fun to be with and also I’m having the time of my life teasing her but do I like like her?

 

I stared blankly ahead as my mind conjured the image of a smiling Sandara Park - the way her cheeks lift and the way her eyes sparkle and. . . oh .

 

I stood up so suddenly I got dizzy for a second. My heart was beating fast inside my chest again. My message alert tone brought me out of my reverie. It was a message from Dara. I must have gone crazy because seeing her name on my screen made fumble in opening the message from her. Hey, are you okay? Break’s almost over. And what text messages were you pertaining to? I haven’t seen any messages from you.

 

I mumbled a thanks and bye to the nurse and started leaving while typing in a message. Before I could even send it, another message came in. Sorry about your cheek again. You just took me by surprise. I didn’t know what to do.

 

And then another came in. I don’t think I could agree to the bet. Suzy. . .she said she likes me. So. . .

 

I stopped walking and stared at the message in disbelief. “Suzy. . .” I hissed under my breath as I started walking again and I eventually broke into a run. I reached the classroom in no time, panting. Dara was back to her seat at the front. I walked straight to her, opened my phone and let her read my sent messages. Her eyes grew wider the more she reads them. I slammed my palms on her desk, making her jump. “I asked first.”

 

She blinked up at me. “W-what?”

 

“I asked you first.”

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

“I asked you to be mine first,” I hissed. “I don’t care if you like Suzy or if she really likes you back but I asked first. She can join the queue and wait for her turn.”

 

I grabbed my phone from her hand and marched towards my chair at the back just in time for the next class to start. I know what Suzy was doing. If this is how she wants to get back at me, to play with Dara, then I’ll face her head on.