Chapter 3

EXO: The First Mystery
Please log in to read the full chapter

To say the 3 newly recruited rookie detectives were shocked when they were assigned a case on the second day of the job was an understatement. Because they were beyond shocked. 

It was a fine morning, like every other when Kyungsoo was the first to enter the office. He sat in front of the fine wooden table of his workplace that had a desktop computer along with some pens neatly prepared in a simple cup holder. A plain lamp attached to the table also was included. He the surface of his workplace, wondering if this was really a dream. If he really got hired as a detective, and it wasn't because he was in some childish wonderland.

The room was dark where only some light shone from the windows of the room that were covered by some grey blinds. Actually, no one was in the office yet considering that the whole floor was dark. Maybe Kyungsoo just had nothing better to do. He didn't want to listen to his grandfather's life stories nor could he go to school. So he only had the choice to spend his hours yet. Did detective offices usually open at 8 in the morning? 

"I told you, you're fired!" Kyungsoo heard a recognisable voice from outside, and he could make out some pleads that belonged to a girl.

Kyungsoo made his way out of the room. The office had a pretty simple layout. Once he exited the room, all he needed to do was to make a left turn where he needed to walk straight up and the receptionist desk would come in to view where the door could be seen from too.

"Just let me in you old man!" The burden Kyungsoo encountered yesterday struggled to get in while Suho prevented it from happening.

"B-Boss?" Suho jumped a bit in suprise when the doe eyed boy appeared from behind him. He had never noticed he came in for work so early.

"Ah, Kyungsoo! Tell her she's fired," Suho stopped trying to prevent Naeun from coming in, and Naeun made her way in the office with a sour face full of objection.

"Uh..." The boy stood dumbfounded, he never even understood what Naeun had done but the girl was annoying for him too. She looked fiesty and stubborn, how did Suho expect him to explain it to Naeun so she would just accept it?

"I'm sorry to say, but I don't think you're fit to be in a detective agency Naeun..." Kyungsoo bit his lip, "Your gentle, soft (and annoying) personality isn't really suitable here because we need strong people. Many agencies would be happy to take you in I know, especially ones that're looking for female models. I bet they'd have more handsome men than here."

"And that is why you're fired," Suho pushed a silent Naeun out of the office, waving his hand stupidly at the girl who said something inaudible to the both of them and stomped in the elevator.

Suho turned to Kyungsoo, eyes stunned, "How did you manage to persuade her to quit?"

The young detective only shrugged in return. Just then, the glass door opened, revealing Baekhyun neatly dressed this time with his bag slung over his shoulder. Luhan came in behind him with his everyday expression.

"Morning," Baekhyun bowed while Luhan continued to give a curt nod. An awkward silence enveloped the 4 boys as soon as they stood in front of each other. Baekhyun scanned his surroundings.

"Where's Naeun?" He coughed.

"Um, fired." Suho said awkwardly before clapping his hands together in joy at the thought of remembering something, "Pushing that aside, I have a surprise for all of you!" He pushed the 3 of them in his office, closing the door behind him.

{...}

Once the 3 detectives settled comfily in the black leather seats, Suho sat in front of all of them.

"I have good news for the three of you, but I'm not if you'll take it as good news," The elder suddenly got up from his seat, sauntering to his desk. He retrieved a light brown file from it, and made his way back, placing the file on the table.

Baekhyun eyes the file curiously,"What's... that?"

"It's your first case."

Kyungsoo and Baekhyun snapped their heads at Suho, faces filled with confusion and an expression beyond shocked. Luhan lifted his gaze that was previously on his lap to Suho. When he observed the leader's face, he wasn't joking. It was bewildering that Suho had suddenly wanted them to take this case. They weren't even a week on the job yet. It made the detectives wonder what their first case would be like, would it be hard? Or would it be at mediocre level? Because for some reason, the 3 of them anticipated for a hard case.

"F-First case? Boss this is abit..." Baekhyun's voice faltered.

"It's not boss. Just call me Suho hyung or just hyung. I prefer it," Suho gave a fatherly smile.

"S-Suho hyung, this is a bit..." Baekhyun repeated, "uncalled for."

"I know, but just take a look."

Kyungsoo met gazes with Suho, where he gestured to the file, his assured face saying it was okay to check it. As Kyungsoo reached for th

Please log in to read the full chapter