Chapter 2:

It has to be you

-Song Hee Jin-

The bell rang.

I clear up my table and I place my things in my yellow shoulder bag. I see the door way and all my new classmates are piling up to leave. My eccentric yet very much insightful adviser, Mr. Kim Heechul, has already left.

The chatter and the laughters are slowly subsiding; I am the last one to exit the classrom.

With my bag slinging on my arm, my feet bring me to the school quad. free of the posh hallways, I feel a sense of comfort in the presence of sunlight and trees and grass.

I take in my surroundings. The fields empty, There's hardly any people around, The one's who are, are either reading or sharing quiet conversations with their friends.

My eyes continue to scan and under a shade of namu trees, I find the place I'm looking for. I make my way there and my hand instinctively s for the phone inside ,y blazers pocket.

For awhile I just wait. I am nervous for what's about to come. Pacing, expecting, I am left to ponder.

His eyes look at me and I look back at them. 

 

I smile and I blush.
 
"What?" he asks me.
 
We are in his garage, burning some time, listening to music. Cozy on the couch, my head is on his lap and his hand in my hair. It's a summer day like this that I look forward to the most.
 
"Nothing" I say, answering his question, I laugh as he touches my nose with a single finger.
 
I turn Sideways for a second and I feel nimble fingers lightly touch my neck. I shiver but I didn't draw away. I bring my gaze back to his and he is looking at me with eyes I could never avoid. He smile.
 
"I love you"
 
"I love you, too" 
 
I remember the letter sent a few weeks ago, I remember locking myself in my room because I didn't want to go. I remember crying and saying yes in the end.
 
I worry at the thought of how many more days like this were left for the two of us.
 
I get up from my position and I lean on his shoulder. He outs on arm around my waist and we stay like that for a while.
 
Gathering courage, I bring my face closer to his. Soon enough, Our lips are touching, at first lightly. The kiss biulds, intensively. I pause and close my eyes to sigh.
 
He plants a kiss in my cheek and I lean my head on his shoulder once more.
 
I take a deep breath.
 
"I have to tell you something"
 
And now I'm here, 10, 00 miles away from him. 10, 000 long miles away.
 
I know that it's dragging on by the second.
 
I suddenly notice that I'm holding on to my phone, too hard. Funny, because I'm barely holding on to myself.
 
I'm startled by a sudden sound.
 
I'm shaking.
 
My phone's ringing.
 
I push the button and I bring the phone close to my ear.
 
"Hello?"
 
"Heejin"
 
Hankyung's voice is not what it used to be. The sound of my name from his lips makes me tremble. It's cold, It's painful.
 
It's been like that for a couple of days now.
 
"How are you?" I ask him.
 
A forced enthusiasm.
 
"I'm okay" He answers in an emotionless tone.
 
"What did you want to talk about?"
 
I fought with myself to use the same forced tone.
 
"Heejin don't act dumb."
 
Dumb? I tried to awaken the feeling of anger but, I was too tired from hurting to do anything.
 
"What are you saying?"
 
"I'm Saying" I could hear himsigh from the other end "This isn't working for me anymore"
 
I tried to choke  the tears back but, they were falling faster tahn my breathe.
 
"Please don't"
 
"Heejin, I just can't do this anymore"
 
"Why?"
 
There was no other sound from the other line for a while,
 
"I'm tired of us." 
 
"My effort to keep my crying muffled was slowly failing.
 
"Don't cry" At first I thought he was actually comforting me "It's Pathetic.."
 
I willed myself to speak but my sobs became my reply.
 
"I don't think we have anything else to talk about here"
 
"Hankyung, Wait. Please"
 
I realize that I'm talling to only a phone. The voice on the other line is gone. I am left with the sounds of students playing in the field. I had only noticed them now.
 
It was over.

"If everything was everything but, everything is over" - Lady Gaga, Brown Eyes