Chapter 1: First Day - Choi Han Byul

It has to be you

"Have a great first day young miss"

Dongwoon said, smiling at me through the rear view mirror. He brought his gloved hands back to the wheel as I gathered my things.

"Your things will be brought to your dorm, immediately" I hear him say before I close the door.

As soon I step out of the car, I am enveloped by a buzz of noise from over-excited students, friends who have not seen each other over the summer and nervous freshmen. I have just passed the school gate and soon enough, my presence has been known. As I am welcomed by their obvious stares and whispers, I keep a straight and sure pace.

"It's Choi Han Byul" I hear one of them say.

"Don't call her that. It's Amy. Amy Choi" The girl beside him answered.

"Hi Amy" I look back and I see a sophomore waving at me. “The nerve” I caught the girl beside him saying.

"Hi" I answer, giving no hint of emotion. I turn away just as quickly as I had faced him.

I don't appreciate nor repel the attention; I am indifferent to it.

"---my sister told me about her. She's from America. She's also really rich"

"I know! Did you see that limo?"

"She's so damn pretty"

I hear the remarks of the freshmen and I almost smile. I kept walking, the school’s white marble fountain was only a few quick steps away and I already knew what to expect.

"Amy!" Tiffany is waving at me as I am about to approach. Beside her, Henry gets up and smiles.

"Did you wait long?"

"No, not at all. We just got here” Henry answers.

"I'm guessing your summers were great?" Tiffany asks looking at Henry and I.

Henry shrugs "I'm Henry Lau. Of course, my summer was awesome" Then Henry starts talking about the beaches in Miami and sun-bathed girls in swimsuits.

"What about you?" He shoots back the question to Tiffany.

"2 months in a cruise ship, sailing the Moroccan coast," Tiffany says this in an airy and dreamy tone "And a month relaxing in the Hwang estate"

"You, Amy?"

"My summer was fine" I answer simply.

"Details?" Henry says. I smile at him.

"Oh Amy Choi, we've been friends for 2 years and you never tell us anything" Tiffany clicks her tongue but, looks at me with a fair expression.

What could I say when it was true. I was never the storyteller.

"Let's go we should be checking our sections by now" Henry remarks and we make our way to the office.

For the rest of the year the office would hardly be visited but on the first day of school, it be packed with students. The three of us inch our way closer and closer to the papers posted on the board. These papers contained class lists. As soon as I get near enough, I look for the list that says '3-B', I see my name along with Henry's and Tiffany's, and I am not surprised.

"3-B?"

I nod.

"Who's our teacher?"

"Mr. Park Jung Su"

"Let's get going, this place is too cramped for my liking"

We nod at Henry and make a path towards the hallway.

Clearer and cooler, the hallway homed only a few people. Tiffany and Henry walked over to the lockers and I tell them to go ahead because I had to go check on something.

I proceed to the other direction away from the two and I am brought back to the entrance of the school. I slyly stand at the side of the corridor.

The door opens and my chest---no, my heart stiffens.

It was only a freshman in glasses. I sigh and wait.

The door opens once more and the same feeling arises. Finally, it's him. I sense a heat course through my cheeks.He passes by me as if I am a wall. I tell myself to breathe slowly because my heart is about to detonate, I wait and it doesn't. I steal a glance at him and I notice that he has dyed his hair blond.

“Hi Hyukjae”

“Hi Hyukkie”

“Hello”

A stream of girls wave at him. I am overcome with a sense of jealousy.

Why couldn't I do that? Why wasn't I like them?

It was useless to ask myself because I already knew the answer. I was never the type to chase, not the type to go after, not the type to ruin myself in front of someone. Especially not in front of him.

Obviously nothing was going to happen here. I am left with only this feeling and the momentary joy.

I walk away.