Chapter 1: First Day - Song Heejin

It has to be you

I face the two girls and they are smiling at me. Smiling too intently.

At first glance, they seemed nice enough, though. Definitely nicer than the girl who trampled the things in my locker.  I’ll it up and forget about her just like that guy said. She’s not worth it.

"Hi! I'm the Student Council President..." The taller one says.

"...And I'm the Vice President" The girl beside her chimes.

"My name's Go Joo..."

"...And I'm Ah To ri"

I'm suddenly led side by side, as we walk towards the hallway.

"So, a little info about Seoul International High school" Joo starts "SIHS is home to the most privileged..."

"...Most Studious..." Tori says.

"...Most Upright..." Joo adds.

"...And most well brought up in---"

"--not just in Seoul"

"But in the whole of Korea!"

Their enthusiastic faces matched their tone of voice so much, I didn’t know whether to think if this was just a part of some act or not.

"Each of your level is divided into 4 sections and they are-"

"A, B, C and--D" Tori said the last one with almost a look of disgust.

The student council officers would speak in a rhythmic manner. The president always speaks first and her vice president would conclude.

"Students from Class A are the honor students. The ones with outstanding grades and almost impossibly high IQs"

"They're pretty much know-it-alls,” I almost think she meant it as an insult but then, she cleans it up. “I say that because they really do know it all" Tori mutters these words with a smile.

"Class B on the other hand are mostly the well-bred and well-groomed"

"Perfect conduct. Perfect looks" Tori winks for some reason. Inside joke?

"Class C is filled with our future athletes. They have bodily-kinesthetic intelligence"

"Most of the jocks are in this section" Tori adds.

"And D" Joo says this with a tone of finality. "There's really no word for it"

"Well except, good for nothing punks"

The disdain in their voices we're evident.

"That guy you were talking to a while ago, he's bad news," Tori warns. "He's the type to kiss a girl just to get out of trouble. Right, Joo?"

Joo rolls her eyes, "Don't stick to guys like Lee Donghae"

We stop and I notice that we are in front of a door.

"Here's 1-A" Joo tells me. Tori hands me the paper containing my student profile. I wondered how she got this since I thought I was holding it all along.

"If you need any help we're here" Joo smiles at me and I return it. "You can find us in 4-B by the way"

"Or lurking the hallways" Tori adds, smiling.

"Don't get into trouble, Hee Jin"

"Enjoy your first day"