Chapter 1: First Day - Lee Donghae

It has to be you

Stupid Senior.

Stupid Senior and his annoying friends.

If I hadn't better control of myself I'd have beaten the pulp out of him.

The morning hasn't been good to me at all. The first step I took in the school grounds and I was already invited to the principal's office. Do I get into trouble for walking and breathing now, too?

Turns out I didn't get in trouble for living; I was just about to be presented with hell.

"Mr. Lee you will be held back for a year"

Ms. Song's words still rang through my ears. I could still imagine her 50-something year old face bearing that creepy smile.

Held back? this. everything. I didn't even have any will left to react anymore. I remember walking out of the door as if it was just another day for Lee Donghae. 

And it was.

After that, I decided to proceed to class 2-D since there was nothing left to do. But then I stopped midway because there was no point to it anyway.

I made a beeline for the lockers, instead.

I get there just in time to catch Tiffany Hwang bullying a girl, a freshman obviously. I take my eyes away from them for a moment to look at what's inside my locker. Hmmm....let's see, unopened books from last year, empty notebooks and expired 'candies'. "Protection is a gift" Like my friend Sungmin said. They all came from him anyway.

From the useless pile of , I turn towards Tiffany and the freshman again. All the girl’s things were strewn on the floor with Tiffany's hand at fault. I stiffen a laugh. I used to do that. Scratch that, I would've done that now too if I was in the mood.

I watch them for lack of entertainment.

Not much progression; terrorized face of the girl, Tiffany Hwang's scornful gaze. This scornful gaze though, suddenly turns into a smile when the girl with long hair approaches.

Oh, it's Amy Choi. I’ve seen how guy ogle over her and how girls follow her with envious stares.

I don’t really see what the big deal is. She’s just some rich girl with a pretty face.

Amy Choi pauses briefly in front of the two. Tiffany acts as if nothing happened and her quick change of attitude is evident.

Obvious control over her friend, I gotta say that's pretty hot.

Tiffany walks away with her. I notice her glare at the freshman one last time before walking alongside her friend.

I chuckle. What a lowlife.

I smirk. I’ve been called that a million times.

I contemplate over helping the poor girl or going to the other direction. I decide on the first one.

There's no harm in changing her thoughts about this school right? Not everyone's a .

I might as well give her a good first impression of me, too.

It won't last anyway.

I walk over and she seems surprised. I kneel next to her and with fast hands, I gather her books in a neat pile.

"Here you go," I hand it to her and she gives me a shy thank you. "Just forget about her. She's not worth it"

I stand up because I see Joo and Tori approaching.

"We've got this" Tori tells me, smugly. I roll my eyes at her but, I smile goodbye at the freshman.

How come they always catch people like me but, never people like Tiffany?

I've only taken a couple of steps away from the scene and I hear footsteps catching up.

"Hey! Lee Donghae!"

I didn’t have to turn around to know who it was.

Kibum and Sungmin match my pace. Sungmin has his phone on one hand. probably saving girls’ numbers; freshmen aren't warned fast enough.

I look at Kibum and he's hiding a cigarette.

"Throw that away" I tell him as soon as I see it.

"It's about to run out anyway" He looks around for prying eyes and finds a trash can. Kibum comes back free from the roll of tobacco but, the smell is undeniable.

I hate cigarettes.

"Got the news from the ‘old maid’? Sungmin asks.

"You got called in, too?"

"Surprised?"

"Of course not," I quickly reply, grinning. "Kibum, you too?"

"You know the answer to that" Kibum snickers.

"So, 2-D all over again?" Sungmin asks

"I heard they hired a new teacher"

"The old teacher got fired?"

"The old one got therapy"

They both chuckle. I laugh.

Trouble is more fun when you have friends to share it with.

I am not alone.