Chapter 1

Love Hurts

    He is the essence of perfection.  His hair a beautiful blond, skin a perfect bronze, and an incredibly toned.  Luckily for me, this perfection is my boyfriend named Kim Jongin.  Jong in happens to go to the International Academy of Music, Dance, and Arts in Seoul.  It’s a prestigious private school that only a few qualify for.  I attend the branch of the school located in New York.
    Jongin and I first met two years ago when I bumped into him at my favorite cafe.  I knew it was love at first sight, and we’ve been together since.  He comes to New York during the seasonal break to visit his parents, and I absolutely adore them.  They love me as much as I love them.  They are one of the kindest people I’ve met.
    Jongin happens to be the top dancers for his age division.  He’s also one of the top dancers in the school.  He’s so devoted to dancing that I rarely get to talk to him when he’s in South Korea.  It’s fine, I completely understand, but I haven’t talked to him all last school year and he didn’t visit during the seasonal break.  His parents went to visit him.  A new school year is about to start and I’m worried, because he hasn’t answered any of my calls or voice messages.
    The phone rang three more times.  With a sigh, I finally hung up.  The disappointment clearly on my face.
    “He didn’t answer did he?” I suddenly snapped out of my daze, and became aware of my surroundings.  The coffee shop suddenly came to life.  I looked up to see my beautiful friend Sinn, who asked the question.  I shook my head no.
    “Of course he didn’t.”  She rested her chin in the palm of her left hand with her elbow on the table.  She clearly had an annoyed look on her beautiful face.  Sinn Yuranun just glowed with beauty with her long wavy black hair that falls down to her waist.  Her skin is the same as Jongin’s perfect bronze.  Sinn’s heritage is Thai, and she is also a headstrong woman.  She won’t hesitate to say if a decision is wrong, well, if you’re friends with her.  She doesn’t give a care if you aren’t her friend.  Needless to say she doesn’t have many, because of her cold and evilly sarcastic personality.  Sinn’s actually quite dorky and hilarious once you get past the troll at the bridge, swim across the moat, climb the fort walls, run to the top of the tower in the castle, fight the black plague, then a dragon, then Death itself, until you finally reach the golden chest that contains her heart, or whatever it is that pumps the poison in her veins.
    “I’m sure he has his reasons…” I tried convincing myself.
    Sinn mentally rolled her eyes, as she raised her coffee mug, and pointedly looked at mine.  “You should drink that before it gets cold.”  Then she took a sip.
    “It’s okay Hyoyeon!  I'm sure he’s busy with school!”  A smile formed on my face as my chirppy friend Lihua reassured me.
    Wei Lihua is my beautiful, and adorable, Chinese friend.  She has a natural young appearance, with snow white skin, and long straight black hair only about two inches shorter than Sinn.  Lihua is the youngest, and the most childish.  All she ever wants is sweets.  That’s all she ever eat.  Sinn has to play mom to get her to eat real food.  I mean right now she’s eating her fifth scone!
    “I think I’m going to transfer to his school.” I blurted out.  Lihua’s mouth dropped, and Sinn choked on her coffee.
    “What the hell are you talking about?” Sinn managed to squeeze out between coughs.
    “Why not?!  It’s basically the same school, just different location!”
    “But your family and friends are here, and you already completed two years here.”  Sinn argued, and Lihua nodded in agreement as she bit a piece of her scone off.
    “It’s just two years, so what?  And I’ll still be in contact with everyone and also I…”
    “Don’t you dare say it.”  Sinn’s eyes narrowed.
    “I love him.”  I said calmly.
    “What did you say?!”
    Slamming my hands on the table, I leaned forward repeating “Love” over and over again.  I could see her eye twitch.  The she reached for one of Lihua’s scones and shoved it in my mouth.
    “My scone!”  Lihua cried.
    Sinn calmy patted her head, “Not right now Lihua.” and Lihua pouted.  I can tell she’s ready to blow.  “Jongin isn’t worth it.  The two years you two been “together”, he barely even attempted to talk to you.  When he’s in school he only called you like what?  Twice a year?  And when he came here to visit all he did was pretend to tolerate you?”
    “That’s not true!  You never liked him to begin with!” deep down inside I knew what she was saying is true, I just want to hang on to that hope that it’s wrong.
    “Hyoyeon.  I know a playboy when I see one.”
    “You’re being mean!”
    “I’m being truthful.”
    “You’re just cynical!”
    “I’m that too,.”
    “I don’t care!  My transfer is already approved.  I’m going to South Korea this school year.”  I stood up and stormed out the coffee shop.
    “Sinn...can you buy me another scone?”
    Sinn covered her face, “Oh Lihua…”
    A month after my fight with Sinn, I flew to Seoul.  I know Sinn just means well, but sometimes her overprotectiveness is just overbearing.  I love Jongin.  I know we are meant to be.  I can feel it.
    “Hyoyeon, this will be your schedule.  Your main class is dance.”  I looked up to see the beautiful dean of the school.  Lee Hyori, she seems young to be a dean.  “Now at this Academy we have three dorms.  I’m placing you in Dorm 2.  Male student head is Xi Luhan, and female student head is Liu Amber.  We like to have fun here, but we take the education of our students very seriously.  Any questions?”
    “No mam.” she seems so sweet.
    “Alright.  AMBER!!” she suddenly yelled scaring me half to death.
    Then a girl with short blonde hair swung the door open.  “WHAT YOU OLD HAG!”
    “WHY YOU LITTLE BRAT!  I’LL STICK YOU IN A BLENDER AND FEED YOU TO MY TIGERS!”...she has tigers?
    “BRING IT!”
    “STOP YELLING AND SHOW HYOYEON TO HER ROOM!”
    “FINE!”
    “FINE!”  Mrs. Lee turned to me with the sweetest smile, “You may leave now.”  I nodded and ran out the door as Amber held it open.  “AND BE NICE AMBER!”
    “BLEH!”  She shouted as she closed the door.
    Silently, I followed Amber down the corridors.  She gave out a sigh as she raise her arms behind her head.  “So where are you from?” she asked.”
    “New York.”
    “Really?  I’m from L.A.!” she exclaim in excitement.
    “That’s cool!”
    “Yeah, I applied here for Music, specifically Rap.  What about you?”
    “Dance.”
    “You know each dorm has their own dance group.”
    “Really?”
    She nodded, “Yup.  Dorm 1 is known as Suju, Dorm 2 is EXO-M, and Dorm 3 is EXO-K.”
    My head tilted in confusion, “EXO-M and EXO-K?”
    “Yeah, we use to be real close with Dorm 3 until all hell broke loose.”  She shook her head.
    “Oh...do you know if Kim Jongin is in any of those dance group?” I asked timidly.
    “You mean Kai?!”  Amber gave a snort, “Yeah he’s the main dancer of EXO-K”
    “Really…”
    “Yeah, I hate that guy.”  She paused then turned to me, “Why?”
    I shook my head, “Just wondering.”
    Her eyes narrowed, “Well, this is your room.”  She opened the door to the room, “Oh, and I’m your roommate."