Chapter Nine

Disability Love

Adhering to the nurse's nagging voice in the back of my head, I set my alarm clock to wake me up early enough to go jogging again. I made a promise and im going to keep it. Besides, Chanyeol will be furious if i didn't show up

But its not all that bad.

 

7:32 am

My morning alarm goes off, and i roll in my bed for a while until i remember that i'd decide to give morning runs another shot.

This is for my health after all.

Once again, it seems that im not alone in my run. Chanyeol has apparently been here for some time. It looks like he's already worked up a good sweat. Just when the heck does he come down here anyway?

"Oh, its you! Im suprised to see you again!" he runs towards my spot.

"Why's that?"

"Well, not many people actually manage to come back for a second try" he wipes his face using the towel that is placed on his shoulders. "Like the rest of the track team" he frowned. The frown disappears entirely, and he seems to snap back to his previous thoughts. "So? Come on then!"

"What?"

He stopped his track and looked at me "You're here to run again, right?"

"Well yeah" i shrugged a little and gives a nod.

"Then, come on!" he grabbed my hands and yanked me to the track.

Things seem to be set on mirroring yesterday's run. That is, i seem to be struggling, while Chanyeol with an effortlessness that i find kind of admirable. Its incredibly bothersome, to be easily worn out.

We round the track and start our second lap. Chanyeol seems to be impatient with my pace so he hold my hand to keep our pace the same. This is where i gave out yesterday but with Chanyeol helping me now, i determined to keep going on. 

As we finished the second lap, I break off again meanwhile Chanyeol keeps going for his third lap.

Maybe theres something else i can do instead of this. Getting up this early annoyed me anyway. Theres got to be some other ways to keep healthy. Walking, maybe. Nice afternoon walks. Yeah, that sounds good. Running isn't for me.

I wave to Chanyeol and head back to my room.

 

 

As i step into the hallway. I notice Sera coming around the hallway corner, stealthily making her way to her room with a large bag. As she sneaks past me soundlessly like a ninja hiding in plain sight, I call out to her.

"Hey" she jumps at the sound of my voice. "Oh hey there Hyojin. Didn't see you there. Im really tired"

"Where have you been this early? Shopping?" i joked.

She laughed while shaking her head. "You're so funny! No, sometimes i have to visit my ..math teacher. Yeah, i figured it would be good to find when the next exam is"

I raised an eyebrow. "So, whats in the bag?"

"I thought i'd go shopping while i was outside" she said. "Uh, okay. I thought you didn't went outside"

"Im wearing a hat now" 

I decide not to point out that she's not wearing a hat. 

An awkward silence settles between us the Sera breaks it by pushing the door open slowly, releasing a cracking sound into the air that only makes the moment seem even more awkward. She sets the bag down inside her room.

"Im.. going to take sleep" she lets a small yawn. 

"Class is going to start in 20 minutes"

"I already did something today. Too tired to go to school!" she then steps closer to me. "Hyojin, do you want some lip balm? I accidently bought 2 because i thought the store sells glue sticks"

I awkwardly scratch my neck. "Yeah.. thanks but no thanks" I swiftly walk past her and went to my class.

 

For a change, im not among the first ones to come to morning class. Instead, almost everyone else seems to be here already. 

The class goes on lazily. Yunho finished his lecture about the galaxies early, but continues without a pause about the festival.

"So, as you know, the festival is on the day after tomorrow. I hope everyone's projects are going to be successful this year. Hope you guys have a good time! Please keep the meaning of this festival in your minds.."

"Food and games!" Luhan shouted. Everyone burst out in laughter, and so do i.

The bell rings, and its time for lunch again. Everyone starts packing their things.

Its crowded in the hallway.. or as crowded as the hallway has been.

"Hyojin!" I turned around, finding Chanyeol is running towards me. "Lets have lunch with me! I know you're alone. Besides, my mom packed too much. Join me, yeah?" He pleaded with his big round eyes.

I sighed, not wanting to reject the offer. Free food!

"Sure, why not?" i smiled. He stopped pleading and grinned widely. "Lets go to the roof!"

"Why the roof?" i asked.

"Because we'll eat there" he said. "Who will?"

"You'll see" without answering my question or waiting for any response, he grabs me by the arm and drags me through the hallway. I attempt to make a conversation on the way

"Why do you have extra lunch?" Chanyeol smiles cheekily. "Actually its yesterday's lunch. I slipped in a run at lunch and forgot to eat it"

"Yesterday's?!"

Heh.

Chanyeol shoves the door open and steps beaming into the sunlight. Suddenly, a tall dark starnger appears out of nowhere, standing infront of us. Chanyeol flinches back, almost falling back down the stairs.

"Hello"

"Yah! you scared me, Lay!" he rubbed his chest.

Wait, isn't he...

"Hello" noticing that Lay is speaking to me, Chanyeol look curiously at me.

"You two know each other?" he point to the both of us. I look confusedly at Chanyeol. "He's that friend of yours?" Lay has turned his gaze towards the clouds drifting above the school.

"I didn't know you guys are close, Yeol"

The awkward silence lasts only for a few seconds until Chanyeol lets out a laugh, shrugging the coincidence off.

"I invited Hyojin for lunch. If you guys already knew each other, thats much better"

"Oh. Does this mean i don't get food? Or did you invite her for lunch without the lunch?" he pressed his lips into a thin line. "Um, neither. I have foods for 3" he pointed at his bag in the corner.

They walk to the other end of the roof while I stay at the clock tower for awhile, taking in the atmosphere. There is nobody else but us here. I guess the roof in not as popular as the other schools. When I step out of the shadow of the clock tower to the open I felt warmth touching my back. The sun shines from a perfectly clear blue sky.

Chanyeol settles on a bench with Lay in tow and produces one big and two small boxes from his bag

"Come on, Hyojin! What are you waiting for?" he's signaling me to join them, making room on the already small bench. 

I seat myself on the corner of the bench to take as little space as possible. Its pretty cramped, but somehow all 3 of us fit on it.

"The view is so beautiful.." Chanyeol let out a chuckle and passes the lunchbox to Lay, and hands the other one to me.

"Here you go! Lunch as promised"

"Woa.. It looks delicious.. Thank you"

Conversation dies off as I set about the business of feeding myself. Taking a few bites, I glance up and notice Lay deftly opening the lunch box and popping a forkful of food in his mouth using his feet. Eventhough i've seen it before, I can't help but be impressed at her ability.

Im distracted from my thoughts by the sight of Chanyeol tearing into his lunch as if he didn't ate for ages.

"You seem pretty hungry" Chanyeol looks up, mouth half full, and swallows before nodding. "My morning runs always works up an appetite. It helps me keep my manly figure" he winked.

"What would happend if you'd lose it? Would you become a girl?" i nearly choke on my lunch trying not to laugh after hearing Lay's comment. Chanyeol snorts and rolled his eyes, continue to eat his lunch.

Chanyeol finishes his lunch first and makes a contented noise.

"Ah, Im full" 

As he busies himself with cleaning up his lunch, Lay speaks up. "Im thirsty"

"Oh! yeah i almost forgot about the water" he reaches into his bag and took out a trio of juicebox. He handed me a strawberry milk and tossed a banana milk towards Lay. Lay efficiently stabs his straw and begins to drink.

"So Hyojin, how do you like it up here?" he leaned at the bench while sipping his drink.

"Hm, its quiet nice, actually. I like high places, for the view. Thanks for inviting me up here... and for the lunch too" Chanyeol grinned, happy with my response.

"No prob! You're always welcomed to eat with us. You should bring us lunch next time!" he clasped his hand. "No lunch service anymore? Hm.. i don't know.." his wide smile turned into a frown.

"Well if thats your answer, I guess Lay and I will just keep eating lunch all alone.."

I am suddenly striked by his big eyes as he pouts.

"Kidding! I was kidding! I'd love to eat lunch up here again" Chanyeol seems happy enough that i've accept his invitation.

The lunch bell rings, signaling a return downstairs. The 3 of us head down the stairs together.