.24.

Only in the Darkness Can You See the Stars

Jongin is itching to get started up the mountain, but he knows it’s going to be a pretty arduous trek as there aren’t any roads leading up to the temple. So he waits until the following morning and leaves the little hostel at dawn, the pack on his back heavy but his heart light and hopeful.

There’s not much open at that hour, so he stops at a convenience store on the corner to buy a bottle of water, some protein bars, and to ask for directions.

“I’m going to Seondeoksa Temple,” he tells the cashier conversationally, handing over his card to pay for the snacks. “Do you know where I can find a map?”

The cashier, who refuses to meet his eyes, shakes his head brusquely. “There’s no way to get up there,” he says shortly.

Jongin frowns, but the kid is pretty young and has probably never been up to the temple himself. So Jongin thanks him, takes his purchases, and leaves the convenience store.

He glances up at the mountain beyond the village. It’s impossible to see the temple from where he is; it’s hidden by trees and rock formations. He supposes he could just start walking in the general direction, but it’s an arduous trek and he can’t risk getting lost. He doesn’t have enough supplies to spend a week or two in the mountains. He really needs a map, or at least directions from a local who knows what’s what.

It’s still too early for much else to be open, so Jongin decides to get some breakfast. He finds a twenty-four hour pancake restaurant further down the street, so he wanders inside and gets a table. He’s the only customer at that hour, so it doesn’t take long for the middle-aged waitress to bring him a seafood pancake.

“Thanks,” he says when she sets it down in front of him. “Hey, I was wondering, do you know Seondeoksa Temple? Do you know how one goes about getting there?”

The woman’s lips press together in a thin line and she quickly looks away. “Never heard of it,” she says, and she walks away without giving him a chance to reply.

He frowns as he picks up a piece of pancake with his metal chopsticks. He’s pretty sure it’s impossible to live in this village and not know the Temple, but he has no idea why this woman would lie to him.

Jongin takes his time with his breakfast – the waitress steadfastly ignores him after his question – and the sun has fully risen when he wanders back out into the street. There are more people about, but there’s still not much open.

Wandering down by the seashore, Jongin finds a seafood market that is already in full swing despite the early hour. The people running the stalls are older for the most part, and they seem like the sort of people who still visit temples regularly and follow the old religions. So Jongin makes several inquiries as he meanders down the main avenue of the market, but each response is the same. Everyone pretends that they don’t know how to get there or even what it is, and then they refuse to speak to him again.

By lunchtime, Jongin is starting to get discouraged. He really can’t risk his life by wandering onto the mountain unprepared, and the internet hasn’t helped him one bit despite extensive searching on his phone.

He tries to get some lunch at a restaurant near the docks, but apparently it’s been spreading around town what he’s inquiring about and the owner refuses to serve him. So Jongin buys some kimbap from the convenience store and sits on the curb nearby, eating it without much appetite. He’s feeling distinctly discouraged. He’s come all this way, ready to find out some real answers about Kyungsoo’s disappearance, and everything seems to suddenly be stacking up against him.

He tries some more after lunch, wandering the streets, asking anyone and everyone if they can help him. No one can. One elderly woman even screeches at him angrily until he runs around the next corner.

By the time night falls, Jongin is exhausted and hopeless. He finds his way into a little bar, settles himself wearily on a stool, and gestures to the bartender.

She comes over with a friendly smile, a welcome relief after the constant hostility he’s encountered throughout the day. She’s got short hair and tattoos on her arms; he wonders how she fares in such a traditional and judgmental village. “You look like you could use a drink,” she says.

Jongin barks out a humorless laugh. “That’s the understatement of the century,” he agrees.

She grins, pours him a glass of whiskey, and slides it across the bar. “On the house,” she says. “I’m Amber.”

“Jongin,” he replies, sipping at the strong drink thankfully.

She leans on her elbows. “So what brings you to town? Seondeoksa Temple?”

He smiles wryly. “Word travels fast around here.”

“It’s a small town,” she agrees. “And nobody’s got anything better to do than gossip. But I’m curious as to why you want to go there. It’s a pretty hefty hike up the mountain, and nobody goes anymore.”

“I’m looking for someone. A priest there,” Jongin admits. “It’s really important to me. My best friend disappeared and this priest was the one who orchestrated his adoption back when he was a baby. He’s my only lead to what might’ve happened to my best friend. But nobody will even give me the time of day after they hear the words Seondeoksa Temple.”

Amber rolls her eyes. “It’s an old superstition around here,” she says. “They all think it’s haunted. So no one goes anymore.”

“And no one is willing to help me,” Jongin says glumly, finishing the whiskey and setting the empty glass back on the bar top.

She purses her lips thoughtfully, then reaches underneath the bar and pulls out an old, faded map. “Look, my boss would probably kill me if he knew I gave this to you, but it’s a map of the mountain. It’s a bit outdated, but it should get you where you’re going.” She takes a pen out of her apron pocket and scribbles something on the corner of the map before sliding it across to him. She taps the writing in the corner. “This is the bus you need to take and the stop you should get off at. From there it’s a bit of a hike, but you should be able to find it.”

Jongin has to resist the urge to reach right across the bar and hug her. “Thank you,” he gushes, clutching the map so tightly his knuckles turn white. “Thank you so much! You’re such a lifesaver!”

Amber laughs. “I try,” she jokes. “Just don’t tell anyone where you got the map. Like I said, the people around here are superstitious. They all think that by visiting the temple, you’ll bring the ghosts down into the village.”

“Your secret is safe with me,” Jongin promises.

With his hope renewed once more, Jongin returns to the hostel immediately, determined to get a good night’s sleep before heading out for real the next morning. The older woman manning the desk is suspicious when he walks in the door.

“I thought you were leaving,” she says bluntly.

“I decided to stay another night,” Jongin answers brightly, handing over his card for her to charge.

She runs the card, still frowning. “I heard you’ve been asking about Seondeoksa Temple,” she mutters.

“O-oh, yeah, I was,” Jongin lies carefully. “But nobody seems to know how to get up there, so I’m just going to head back north tomorrow.”

The woman hums approvingly as she hands his credit card back. “Good. That’s the smart thing to do.”


Alright, so I'm not dead. Surprise surprise! 

Turns out having a baby keeps you really, really busy! Not just a baby, but, you know, life. 

Anyway, hubby and I are back in the states now. We've settled back into American life, bought a new house, hubby got a new job, etc. etc. 

And now, FINALLY, Yuna is old enough to play by herself for a little bit so I'm finally able to write, even if it's just for small periods of time. What a godsend lol I seriously didn't open my computer for almost an entire year. My poor creativity withered up and died OTL

Anyway, I'm back (hopefully?) to updating. I'm definitely not going to not finish the story, especially because I love this one so much. So basically everything in the world is getting in Jongin's way to finding answers about Kyungsoo, but Amber to the rescue! I love her so much. She's like my favorite female idol. She's amazing (girl crush lol)

Also, here, have a lovely picture of my not so little one! (She's 13 months now! Where did the time go!)