.20.

Only in the Darkness Can You See the Stars

“No.”

Jongin puts on his best puppy dog face. “Victoria, please.”

“Did you not hear me the first time? I said no.”

“But Victoria,” he whines. “You’re the only one in the whole precinct who can get information like this.”

Her red lips twitch like she’s trying not to smile – flattery will get you almost anything with Victoria – but then the frown is right back in place. “I like you, Jongin. You’ve gotten away with so much already because you’re a likeable dude. But I have already put my career on the line too many times.” She sighs. “Look, I want you to find your friend, I really do. But all I can do is get you the number for the adoption agency.”

He’s quick to take what he can get. “That’s fine,” he assures her quickly. “Just the number is fine. I’ll call myself.”

She gives him a long, level look, then sighs and types something into her computer. Then she scribbles a phone number down on a sticky note and sticks it to his forehead. “That’s all you get from me,” she swears.

Jongin removes the sticky note from his forehead, yet more hope blossoming in his chest. “Thanks Victoria!” He leans down and pecks her on the cheek. “You’re the best.”

She makes a wry face but doesn’t deny it.

Jongin is in such a hurry to get back to his desk and call the adoption agency that he runs headfirst into Minseok in the corridor, knocking the file he’d been carrying to the floor.

“Jeez, Jongin, watch where you’re going,” Minseok grumbles, bending down to collect the dropped papers.

Jongin quickly drops to his knees to help his partner clean up. “Sorry,” he mumbles. “Lost in my thoughts, I suppose.”

Luckily for him, Minseok doesn’t question him – or the bright pink sticky note he’s clutching in his hand – and he’s soon on his way to his office. His heart is hammering as he dials the number Victoria had given him and listens to the rings.

A woman answers after four rings. “You’ve reached the Seollak-gu Adoption Agency. How may I help you this afternoon?”

“Hi, my name is Detective Kim Jongin,” he introduced himself, nearly out of breath with anticipation. “I’m calling from Precinct 95. I need all the information you have pertaining to case number 654992 sent over right away. On second thought, I’ll come pick the files up. It’s fairly urgent.” He can just imagine what the Chief would say if a bunch of packages from the adoption agency arrived for him. It wouldn’t be good, to say the least.

There’s some typing as the woman pulls up the case in question. “I’m sorry Detective, but without a warrant I can’t release anything to you,” she explains, not sounding very sorry at all. “Only the biological parents can access our files without a warrant. Once you provide one, I’ll be happy to assist you.”

Jongin feels himself deflate for what seems like the hundredth time. “Oh, okay. Yeah, I’ll get one and get back to you. Thanks for your time.”

He’s feeling overwhelmingly disappointed as he hands up the phone. Getting a warrant is out of the question, considering that he’s not technically been assigned to this case. And if he knew about this baby’s biological parents, he wouldn’t need the case files.

There’s only one more place to turn, and he dreads doing it.

Even so, he finds himself once more in front of Kyungsoo’s parents’ house. He’d always gotten along well with them when he and Kyungsoo were kids, but now it seems that they’d rather never see him again. He doesn’t quite blame them.

Steeling his nerves, he rings the bell. There’s a long pause – so long that he’s almost convinced they’re going to ignore him – but then Mr. Do answers the door. He’s got this look on his face that says he’s dreading having to deal with Jongin, but he’s going to for the sake of being polite.

“Jongin,” he says stoically, standing aside to allow Jongin inside. “What brings you over this afternoon?”

“I need to ask you some questions about Kyungsoo,” Jongin says.

Mr. Do shakes his head. “My wife told me you’d been nosing about, looking into the past. It’s over and done with, Jongin. Kyungsoo is gone. You’re only hurting yourself and us by bringing it up over and over again.”

“I know,” Jongin assures him quickly. “And I’m sorry. It’s never been my intention to hurt anyone. I just have one question for you and I’ll be on my way.”

Mr. Do looks annoyed but he sighs and gestures for Jongin to get on with it.

Jongin blurts out, “Was Kyungsoo adopted?”

Mr. Do’s face goes from annoyed to quite pale in a matter of seconds, and then he coughs. “Why on earth would you think that?” he demands.

Even though he hadn’t answered directly, his reaction had been answer enough. Jongin pulls out the baby picture he’d printed off the agency’s database. “I had to go through the adoption agency’s database for another case I’d been assigned, and I came across this photograph. I’m fairly certain it’s Kyungsoo.”

Mr. Do is angry now. “Didn’t we tell you to quit digging around in the past?” he thunders. “Why are you bringing up terrible memories now? Get out! Get out and don’t come back!”

Jongin doesn’t have to be told twice. 


I know it's been forever guys, sorry. 

Things have been really, really super-duper hectic since I'm getting married in 20 days. 

Hopefully once we're back from the honeymoon I'll be able to update a lot more regularly!