02

Learn To Love Again

 

Minwoo and Junjin have been staring at me for a while now. But I ignore them and just do my work.

"This isn't going to work. Let's just go." Junjin says, tugging Minwoo's shirt.

"It will." The shortie guy says, still staring at me with his small eyes.

"Jinnie's right, M. That isn't going to work on me." I chuckle.

"If I beg, would you then?" I look up to face him.

"Minwoo, please understand. I'm done with all those things. I'm starting anew."

"M hyung, come on. We're going to be late." Junjin calls from the door. I hear Minwoo sighs as he makes his way to Junjin.

"You've promised you'll always go with us if I promoted you." The reality starts to sink in. He's right about that; I did promise to him years ago.

 

"Now that you're a part of us, let's get along. And if you do well, I would recommend you for a promotion." I gaped at my new boss. I've only been transferred here for a day, he had already talked about another promotion. Daebak! "But when I say let's get along, I really mean it." I nodded, the thought of getting promoted again made me agreed to all the things they said. They took me to lots of outdoor meetings. I was awkward at first, but they were really good in making me adapt to the new lifestyle. I even forgot about Eric.

 

 

"Hyesungie hyung!" Andy greeted when he saw me at his workplace. "Where's Eric hyung?"

"Uh I come here alone."

"Do you have anything you want to talk to me?" I sigh.

"Andy, I... um... I don't know if you know about... um... about my nature of work--"

"I know." I look up and he is smiling. "I saw you a few times before, and you were always with the same two guys. I asked Eric hyung. He said it's one of your job requirement." My eyes become teary. "Why are you talking about this all of a sudden?"

"Ah I just think I should let you know, because you're like my own brother."

"Thanks hyung. I appreciate that." He grabs my hands, smiling.

"Andy, I need to ask you a favor." He nods. "Could you please make Eric leave the house?" Andy's eyes widen. "Uh I mean, he needs to get out once in a while. You know, he's been staying indoor since he started that online cooking class. So I thought he needs to breathe some fresh air." He smiles.

"What do you have in mind?"

"Make him start working a real job."

 

When I'm home that evening, he is cooking at the kitchen. This time, he's wearing a pink-colored apron.

"Nice apron." I walk to him.

"One of my students gave this as a present."

"I thought you only organize online classes." He chuckles as he comes closer to hug me.

"She's a special student."

"She???" I let go of his hug, and he just laughs.

"Look here." He points at the apron pocket. "Read it out loud please." I lean closer and read.

"To my teacher, Chef Eric. Thank you for the lessons. Now mother and father like me even more. Oh Andy oppa too. Hope you become one of the greatest chefs in our country. Love, Haena." I blink my eyes. "Haena?"

"Yes, Haena. Our sister-in-law." I blush. "You're so clueless sometimes." He hugs me tight and pecks my cheek. "That's one of the reasons I love you."

 

 

At the office, Minwoo and Junjin are still not giving up. They even help me with my work. Where else you could find a good boss like Minwoo?

"Hyesung, please. One last time. She's our biggest client. And she's very fond of you."

"Fond is not the right word." I warn, because I know very well who he's talking about.

"She likes you. Damn much. Satisfied?"

"Hyung, please. Just this one time."

"I thought we've signed the agreement months ago. What else she wants from us now?"

"She wants to see you. Or she'd make our venture suffers." They are now staring at me with pleading looks. How can I say no?

"Fine." The two applause like a pair of seals happy to be fed. I sigh; one last time won't hurt right?

 

With a carton of his favorite beer in my hands, I walk into the house.

"Hyung!" Andy is here? Ahh must be because of what I asked him the other day.

"Hyesungie, come. Just in time for dinner." I smile and give him the beers. "Wow. Are you trying to make me drunk tonight?" Eric whispers, and I hear Andy giggles. How embarrassing.

After dinner, Andy excuses himself to go home. Before he walks out the door, he winks at me. Now I know Eric is in his good mood. Time to start my plan.

"Eric, I have something to ask you." I say from the living room. He then comes with the beers in his hand.

"You want to drink and get drunk first?" He asks, grinning at me. Did he just change his clothes?

"Why are you half ?" I ask, and I feel my cheeks burning.

"Just in case you get too drunk." I grab a cushion and throw it at him. He just laughs.

"I'm trying to talk about something serious here."

"Okay, now shoot." He holds the cushion on his chest.

"What the heck? You think by doing that, I can't see your body?"

"This body is meant to be shown to you, my dear."

"Ahh you're so impossible!" I stomp my feet into the bedroom, and he just laughs. Aishh what should I do now? The meeting is tomorrow!

"Hyesungie, why are you on the bed? I thought you want to talk about something?" He asks from the door, holding two cans of beer. And of course without the cushion, that shiny abs is tempting me. So badly.

"Eric, please." Seeing my serious face, he puts down the cans on the table and grabs his t-shirt from the bed.

"Now, is it okay?" He sits in front of me, holding my hand. I smile.

"You know I stopped going to those meetings, parties, right?" He nods. "And I feel good about it." He squeezes my hands. "But there's this meeting, an important one, and the two want me to join."

"When is it?"

"Tomorrow, after work."

"Okay." I look at him, surprised. "But you must come home." He smiles. I bring his hands to my face and kiss them a dozen times.

"Thank you Eric. I promise this will be the last time." He nods.

"And now, it's my turn." He grabs the cans with a wide grin on his face.

 

 

I go to the office, all smiles. Junjin notices my good mood so he follows me to my room.

"Did anything happen?" He asks, but I just reply with a smile.

"Hyesung!" Minwoo shouts from the door. "Wow. You look different."

"I know right? He's been smiling for a few minutes already." Junjin says to our boss.

"Did you change your hairstyle? Are you wearing new clothes? Haa I know, I know. New perfume?" I laugh.

"Hyung, he still smells like he usually does. So it's not new perfume. I think it's the hairstyle." Junjin nods, confident upon his answer. But it makes me laugh even harder.

"Oh my God! Is that what I think it is??" Minwoo shouts, eyes staring at me.

"I think it is, hyung. No wonder he looks different."

"What is it??" I ask when they look so serious. Minwoo then points at his own neck.

"Had a rough night huh?" He says, and I immediately get what he means by that. I grab a mirror from my drawer to check. How could I miss that?? "Hope it soothes down soon. We're meeting her at 6. And I don't think she'd be pleased to see that hickey of yours." Minwoo then leaves my office, taking Junjin with him. I type a message on my phone to Eric.

Babo! Why didn't you tell me it can be seen?

I told you to wear the dark navy shirt, but you insisted on wearing the light green one.

I have a meeting, that's why I need to wear bright clothes.

I have my indoor class, but I'm wearing a turtleneck sweater. What do you think?

Omg. Hate you.

I love you. Kkk

 

When the clock turns 5, Minwoo and Junjin come to my room. I guess they're scared if I secretly leave the office. The three of us arrive at the place half an hour later. Our shortie boss starts ordering food, snacks, and drinks. And seems like there is something else on the table.

"What is that?" I ask.

"A cake."

"For what?"

"She wants to celebrate her birthday." I swear I didn't see that coming because Minwoo said it's a meeting. "Hyesung, she told us to keep it a secret from you." I get up to leave the room but Junjin stops me.

"Hyung."

"This is not a meeting. And I'm sure no one ever said to me about a freaking party!" I try to push Junjin away from the door, when someone knocks from the outside. Minwoo pulls my hand as Junjin lets the door open.

"Hello guys." She's here. That girl is here. With her girl friends. And I'm hopeless.

The two betrayers are currently playing with the girls, singing and laughing and whatever. I'm so mad at the moment, I only play with my phone.

"Oppa." Here she comes. "Let's sing something."

"No thanks."

"Come on oppa. It's my birthday today."

"I know. That's why I don't care."

"Why are you so cold?"

"Why did you ask them to lie to me?"

"If you know the truth, you wouldn't come."

"You're right about that. Why should I come? Why should I see you?" She sighs.

"I need to tell you something."

"I don't want to know."

"It's important."

"I don't care."

"Please." She holds my hand, but I pull it back.

"All the words that came from your mouth are a bunch of lies."

"What I'm going to tell you is not a lie. Please listen."

"No. I don't want to know." I get up to leave but she holds my hand tight.

"It's really important."

"You used to say that once before, and I believed you. What happened next? He almost died!"

"But he's still alive, right?" She pulls my hand. "Please listen this one last time." She starts crying, so I just stand still. "I'm pregnant. And it's yours."

 

My heart stops beating, I stop breathing. What is this darkness surrounding me? Why couldn't I hear anything? Eric, please save me.

"Hyesung! Hyesung! Wake up!" I open my eyes when I feel someone shaking my body.

"Hyung..." Junjin seems sad.

"What?" I ask, trying to get up. But my body feels heavy. "What happened?"

"You ran out of the club and almost got hit by a car. We tried to stop you, but you kept on running." Junjin stops as tears start to flow down his cheeks.

"Then you ran to the bridge, trying to jump into the river." Minwoo rubs his temples. "We almost lost you." Funny. I heard that somewhere before. "Fortunately there were some guys near the river. They saved you."

"Did I jump?" Minwoo nods while Junjin is still crying. "I want to go home."

"You want Eric to see you like this??"

"I've promised I would go home." I push them away and run out of Minwoo's house. I need to go home.

 

"Eric!" I shout as I open the door. Seeing him not there in the living room nor the kitchen, I run to the bedroom. He's sleeping. I look at the clock, it's 3am. "Eric." I sit beside him on the bed.

"Hyesungie?" He gets up. "I'm sorry I fell asleep. I was too tired--" I hug him. "Hyesungie? Why are you crying? Why are you wet? Is something wrong?"

"Eric, please don't leave me. Please. I know I've treated you bad. But please give me one more chance. Please." He my back.

"Why would I leave you? I love you so much." I cry louder. "What's wrong? Did something happen during the meeting?" I gulp. I let go of the hug and stare at him.

"We need to go away from here. Now. Let's go somewhere far." I immediately get up and start packing my clothes.

"Where would we go?" He asks, hugging me from behind.

"I don't know. Somewhere really far, where no one could find us."

"Hyesungie, did you commit a crime?" Should I tell him the truth? Should I tell him that I made the daughter of our rival company's president pregnant? "Babe?" Baby? That word sounds like a poison. Or even better, a bullet, shot right through my chest. "Hey what's wrong?" He asks me when I fall on the floor.

"Eric... I made someone pregnant." I look down and cry. My heart is already breaking when I heard the news. And telling him about it makes my heart shatters to million pieces. I don't even dare to look at him. There is this dreadful silence surrounding us and I feel like dying as each second passes.

"Hyesungie, don't cry. I'm right here." He hugs me. "We'll go through this together."

 

 

I take a few weeks off. I don't want to see the two for the time being. How could they lie to me? I need to reconsider of handing my resignation letter, which was opposed by Eric this morning.

"Are you done packing?" He asks when he walks out of the room bringing a large suitcase with him.

"Yep. Right here." I point at the two suitcases beside me. He laughs.

After three hours driving, we eventually arrive at Eric's hometown. This is the perfect place to release my tension. And this place makes him happy too. Luckily our old house is still unoccupied, even though it has been 5 years since we left this town. When I see the smile on Eric's face the moment his cousin gives him the key, it reminds me of how cheeky Eric could be.

The first week, we just leisurely walk around town. We even visit Eric's restaurant. And turns out it still belongs to him. No wonder he always has extra money to buy me presents.

"Happy?" He asks when we're just hanging out at the balcony. It feels nice being at home.

"Yes. Too happy. I must be crazy when I asked you to move from here years ago." He laughs.

"I want to show you something." He pulls me out of the house, straight to the backyard. But he keeps on walking into the forest. There, I see a cabin made of woods, standing proud in the middle of the forest. "For you."

"What? Why?" He giggles and takes me inside the cabin.

"I notice you start taking interest in art. So I built this as your studio."

"You built this? When?" He scratches his head.

"Ahh actually I asked my cousin to build this on my behalf." He answers, blushing cutely.

"Thank you Eric. This is the perfect hideout." I pinch his cheeks. "And if you don't see me at home, this is where I would be." He laughs.

 

 

Minwoo and Junjin keep on calling me, but I ignore them. I don't want to care about them anymore. One day, I'm helping Eric with his online class when a car drives into our driveway. My heart starts beating fast.

"Hyesungie, run to the cabin now." Eric whispers and I immediately make a run for it. I stay there for hours, praying that no one would find me except Eric. Then I start to wonder, what if anything bad happens to him? I wouldn't forgive myself. Suddenly, I hear footsteps coming towards the cabin. I hide myself under the table and pray. Let it be Eric, only Eric. "Hyesungie." It's Eric. I peek from the window, to make sure he's alone. When I open the door, I hug him tight. "They're gone."

"They?"

"It's Mom and Dad. I didn't know they changed their car." He laughs.

"Why are they here?"

"They wanted to visit. I told them you're doing your work, so they said I need to bring you to see them next time." He ruffles my hair. But something feels different. He smells different.

"They came just the two of them?" He seems surprised. But then he smiles.

"Yes, just the two of them."

 

That night, we stroll around the town. Feeling like there's just the two of us in this world, my heart is contented. I won't ask for more.

"Hyesungie, are you happy with me?" I turn when he asks that question.

"I am too happy." I squeeze his hand. "How about you?"

"I am happy too." He smiles. "If one day I'm gone, you must keep on being happy okay." I let go of his hand and stand there staring at him. But he just smiles.

"Are you leaving me?" I ask, but he pulls me back for a hug.

"Of course not." He kisses my hair. But I don't believe him at all.

 

 

A few days later, Andy comes over to tell us that Eric is offered to work at a restaurant.

"I think I'll pass." He says when his brother had left.

"What? Are you crazy?"

"I thought you don't want to go back to Seoul?"

"Who says I'm going with you?" He stares at me, surprised.

"You want me to go and leave you here alone?"

"Yes. That's exactly it." I flash a smile. But he gets up and walks to the door. "Eric!" He stops.

"You need to rethink your decision." He then leaves the house. And I start to wonder, is it wrong for me to ask him to leave for his own good?

After an hour, he comes home. I smile when he sees me at the kitchen.

"Are you cooking?" He takes a seat. "Wow. Looks good."

"Wait till you taste them all." I sit in front of him. When he grabs a spoon to start tasting, I look at him and his every move. Each time he tastes, he makes that weird face; he'd scrunch up his nose, furrow his brows, pout his lips and nod a few times. "How is it??" I ask, impatient.

"Acceptable. Edible." He replies, still chewing on his food.

"Really?" What a let down. I took a lot of effort to cook those, and he only says that two words?

"Of course it's a lie." I look up at him. "They're all good. I know you're trying to show me that you can stay alone. And yes, I think you can." He says, smiling. I quickly get up from my seat to hug him.

"I love you Eric. So much."

 

 

The day has come. Dongwan is here to take Eric back to the city. The two best friends are loading his stuff into the car while I just stand at the side, watching. I know if I try to help, my tears would fall.

"Hyesungie..." He walks to me. "You'll be okay right?" I nod.

"You'll work hard right?" I ask him. He pinches my nose and pulls me into his embrace.

"Of course. I'm going to make you proud." I'm already proud of you, Eric. "Hey don't cry."

"I'm not."

"Silly." He wipes my tears.

"Go on now. Or you'll be late." I push him away, but he holds me tight.

"I'll try to see you every weekend. Take care of yourself. If you need anything--"

"Ask Donghyuk hyung." He laughs. "You told me that yesterday. It's still here." I point at my head. He then looks at me, and I know he still feels reluctant to leave. "Eric..." His eyes glisten.

"I love you, Hyesungie." He pecks my lips.

"I love you too. Take care."

As the car slowly drives away, my tears eventually fall. I hope I'll see him again.